Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4755 replies to this topic

confused999

confused999
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 20-May 07

I too am having having the same problem and pin 3 of the serial connector is TX Data. Why would one ground that pin to electrical ground of the power source??

ON HDD:
pin 1 (RX hdd) <--- TX Adapter
pin 2 (TX hdd) ---> RX Adapter
pin 3 (GND hdd) <---> GND Adapter
pin 4 (N.C. hdd)

So pin3 and 4 is where the jumper would go to limit the Seagate to SATA speed rather than SATA2 speed?? If so then one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block??

Yes, you get out the jumper.
Yes, one has to connector a jumper wire from the GND lead from the battery to pin3 on the jumper block.

Well did that and the Seagate ST3500320AS which does not normally show up in BIOS, when I do a CTL+Z in Hypertoerminal which is configured for 38400,8,1,N,N I get no response from the hard drive at all.

I then revered the TX and RX on the adapter so that the TX goes to the TX on the hdd and RX on adapter to RX on the hdd. Was able to revive the hard drive and then flash it. Thanks for the help.

Edited by confused999, 29 March 2009 - 04:48 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Puppetnation

Puppetnation
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 29-March 09
Hello everybody!

Thanks Gradius2 for putting vital info on resuscitating hard-drives, your contribution is very very precious!

I'm so excited: tomorrow I'll get the necessary gear and will fix my 30-days old "locked" 1TB drive plenty of data.
This condition makes my stomach burning... I think restoring access to personal data has no price...

At Seagate they say "mine it's not affected"... it's easy to act like this... they simply offer a drive replacement...

thanks so much
I'll let you know!

Update: haven't found the serial interface on shops, ordered on eBay and waiting for the postman to come, maybe this week I'll be on the job!

Edited by Puppetnation, 01 April 2009 - 01:09 AM.

zatang2009

zatang2009
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-March 09
Hi,

Thanks for all the info but I am stuck with a problem. I have this Nokia CA-42 clone. There are 3 wires in it

Black, white and blue

Black is GND as it is mentioned on the IC. Also, i tested it through a Voltmeter and I am getting above 3.3V on both White and Blue, i.e., when connecting the Negative of Voltmeter to black and Positive to White or Blue

Then its saying connected to terminal, but i am not able to type anything in it. When trying different USB ports, i got it typing for a while but it was only momentary.

Now what to do ?

How to make it type in Terminal Window ??

Also i am not getting any random characters when i joined TX and RX or (TX + GND) or (RX + GND).

Now what to do ?

BlackFyre

BlackFyre
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-March 09
Hi Guys, I'm currently trying to repair my Seagate 1TB harddrive, and purchased a CA-42 cable off e-bay.
M/N: WACAS07

The cable when opened up has Red, Black, Green and White.
Has anyone else used this cable, the connectors are blue and the cable itself is black.
Just wondering which color is which.

Thanks Guys

MikeT31

MikeT31
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30-March 09
I am so glad I found this forum. This evening I experienced the BSY error. IMHO I am competent enough to attempt this fix :whistle: , but I want to describe my problem to you guys before I try. Maybe if I am missing something you can warn me.

My drive is ST31000340AS bought last August.
Label claims it has the SD15 firmware.
The whole drive is encrypted using TrueCrypt.
There are three partitions.

The drive does not matter to me, I just want my data. Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?

One more issue. I experienced power failure this evening. On my first restart the computer worked fine for an hour and I shut down normally. On my next power up it failed and was not recognized in BIOS. I already tried the drive on my second computer and it was not recognized in BIOS. Still, my problem could be another issue not related to the BSY error.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

circuit

circuit
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
I have tried and tried to get this to work ...

when i connect everything all i get in hyperterm
is a black arrow pointing to the right ..

each time i hit ctrl z i get the blackarrow to the right

if i unhook the wire ctrl z does nothing

if i do a loopback test i get my text back ....

bloodraveb27

bloodraveb27
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
my story my pc was ok until the close 2 days ago after open pc windows never start and when i unpick seagate it opened as normal...
it's saying " Drive is not affected. No action required." on the https://apps1.seagat...rms_af_srl_chk/ but this happened and i found this forum...
i am going to find a nokia CA-42 cable and if i can i will post the result...

Edited by bloodraveb27, 31 March 2009 - 08:23 AM.

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

The black arrow is te character of the "ctrl+z" command.
It is due to loopback from TX to RX, a bad cable or the "echo" command of the hdd.
Can you see if your RX and TX wires are joined?

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

I am so glad I found this forum. This evening I experienced the BSY error. IMHO I am competent enough to attempt this fix :whistle: , but I want to describe my problem to you guys before I try. Maybe if I am missing something you can warn me.

My drive is ST31000340AS bought last August.
Label claims it has the SD15 firmware.
The whole drive is encrypted using TrueCrypt.
There are three partitions.

The drive does not matter to me, I just want my data. Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?

One more issue. I experienced power failure this evening. On my first restart the computer worked fine for an hour and I shut down normally. On my next power up it failed and was not recognized in BIOS. I already tried the drive on my second computer and it was not recognized in BIOS. Still, my problem could be another issue not related to the BSY error.

I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Will the partitions and encryption cause complications for this recovery method?
The answer is "no complications". This recovery method normally doesn't touch the "User Data" of the hdd.
This method repair the "Service Area" of the hdd, a hidden area of the aluminium plates. This area is out of the disk capacity.

circuit

circuit
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09

The black arrow is te character of the "ctrl+z" command.
It is due to loopback from TX to RX, a bad cable or the "echo" command of the hdd.
Can you see if your RX and TX wires are joined?

found my Problem . thanks

it was my power source for the HDD. i was using a power supply that come with me sata to usb adapter .
once i connected to a PC power supply it started working fine...

brother

brother
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-April 09
Hi
I have a Maxtor Diamondmax 22 STM3500320AS 500 Go wich seems to have the BSY error. I bought an RS232/TTL adapter that I wait for and also the other stuff. Since my english is not 100% sure, I don't want to miss something before I start to unblock the HDD. When Gradius2 says "connect the power supply to Hard drive circuit board", is it the sata power ?
Thanks

zatang2009

zatang2009
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 28-March 09
Thanks all, i was able to Do it Successfully. Special thanks to Gradius2 and Aviko

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
Hi.. I did all the steps on page 35th of this post. All went well till the m0,2,2... command. After entering that command nothing happened, it's been 10 minutes and I'm still waiting. And I read something about disconnecting the power cable before the command. But I chose to apply this quoted tutorial cause I already had ca42 cable. And I didn't know that I should do a power off!!! Now what, will I lose all my data? Or should wait for it to complete, if it completes? Any way to retry all the steps? HDD is still connected. PLEASE I NEED HELP :(

Edited by australis, 01 April 2009 - 12:19 PM.

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
It's been 55 mins after the last command!! :( Did I lose it forever? I really can't believe that I chose that tutorial to apply! If only I knew I had to power off! offffffffff :( Is there any chance if I remove the sata cable and retry all the steps?? Still connected to hyperterminal. Or Is it possible to recover my thousands of photos with a data recovery service in this case? Please I need good news...

Edited by australis, 01 April 2009 - 12:15 PM.

mork

mork
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 26-March 09
hi
had problem with my ST3500340AS
at first send to a data recovery centre n they said the damage platter caused the firmware to corrupt,
but they said can 99.9% recovery, since the platter is damage how can? say they use Russian method, need a week
then send to a hard disk OEM manufacturer n they said cannot access to communicate with the disk
though its spining, firmware is SD35, he got from Seagate friend, he bought a similar disk n replaced the parts, flash the SD35
but yet cannot, any help?
what special machine does a data recovery centre have? this OEM person also has clean room, special hardware etc n repaired many other types...or extra equipments are needed to help him?
Thank you

BlackFyre

BlackFyre
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 30-March 09

Hi Guys, I'm currently trying to repair my Seagate 1TB harddrive, and purchased a CA-42 cable off e-bay.
M/N: WACAS07

The cable when opened up has Red, Black, Green and White.
Has anyone else used this cable, the connectors are blue and the cable itself is black.
Just wondering which color is which.

Thanks Guys

Well, I figured it out and fixed my Harddrive! It was the same as most of the other CA-42 Cables, Black was the Ground and Green/White were the TX/RX.
I initially had the problem of the weird characters showing up in my terminal, and found out that I was using the wrong color for ground it (was using red at first).
Also, after you do the m,2,2..... step, wait until the prompt goes back to the input part, if you disconnect the power right after you get the Complete message, your
harddrive will show 0.0GB. (Mine did anyways, and redoing that step and waiting longer fixed this issue.)

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

It's been 55 mins after the last command!! :( Did I lose it forever? I really can't believe that I chose that tutorial to apply! If only I knew I had to power off! offffffffff :( Is there any chance if I remove the sata cable and retry all the steps?? Still connected to hyperterminal. Or Is it possible to recover my thousands of photos with a data recovery service in this case? Please I need good news...

Don't worry.
I had powered off at middle of m0,2,2,,,,,22 command and I recovered all.
Are you sure that you haven't bad sectors?
Have you repaired the BSY problem correctly?
Have you powered off the hdd between some commands?
You have to do the procedure WITHOUT the SATA data cable.

Edited by pichi, 01 April 2009 - 12:50 PM.

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
Thank you thank you pichi! Someone saw my post :) No, sata data cable is not connected. Just the power cable. No I didn't have bad sectors before the "not detectable by bios" happened. And this is my first try to recover from bsy. But I didn't do a power off between commands. 'cause the tutorial I followed didn't mention it :( Now if I remove the power plug will I be able to do all the recovery procedures from the beginning? If I remove the power plug what commands should I execute first? Do I have to disconnect hyperterminal or should it stay connected? After 2 hours and 15 mins nothing happened. And I'm looking forward to your reply here.

Edited by australis, 01 April 2009 - 01:26 PM.

bloodraveb27

bloodraveb27
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
@australias follow this look what was wrong with this one from you (there's a point at my post which blood and unerlined )
Step 3: Plug the SATA power cable into the drive, and wait until drive motor stops.

Step 4: Open Hyperterminal, when prompted choose the COM port that your cable is using. If you are unsure of which COM port to use, check your device manager (look in the "ports" sub-section) to see which COM port your cable is using. Choose 38400, 8, None, 1, None in the COM properties box that should pop up. If you hit "OK" and you get no errors, you should be in.
Step 5: Type ctrl+z and you should see a prompt that says F3 T>

Step 6: Type /2 and press enter. It should say F3 2>

Step 7: Type Z and press enter. It should say "Spin Down Complete, Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs", the elapsed time may not be the same - that's OK.

Step 8: Remove business card and mount the PCB as normal, tighten up all the screws.

Step 9: Type U and press enter. It should say "Spin Up Complete, Elapsed Time 6.864 secs". Again, the elapsed time may not be the same and that's OK.

This next part is not necessary, it's just checking that everything is OK. Use this when the first try fails (command F712 works only on 500 GB 7200.11 drives with firmware SD15, if this isn't your Firmware version just skip this part.)

Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

Type F,,22 and press enter. It should say Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

(This is the end of the part that was not necessary unless the first try failed).

Step 10: You should see F3 T3> at this point, type /1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 11: Type N1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 12: Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Step 13: Type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and press enter. (Note the "m" is lower case and the 0's are zeros). It should say.....

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

And should bring you back to the F3 T> Prompt.

Step 14: Unplug the SATA power cable from your drive, unhook the RX, TX, and GND wires. Turn off computer and re-install your drive. Everything *should* be working fine. Be sure to update your drive with the latest firmware as soon as possible.

Edited by bloodraveb27, 01 April 2009 - 02:31 PM.

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
thanks bloodraveb27. problem solved thanks to pichi. Pichi you are my hero :) Thank you everyone who contributed spreading this precious knowledge. I'm sooooo happy that I have my data back.

bloodraveb27

bloodraveb27
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
i got my ca-42 cable today its made in china and there is 3 cable at there(blue-orange-red) i tried all probability for gnd-tx-rx for 2.3. and 4 socked on hdd but never got a reply from terminal when i typied ctrl+Z...
I am sure about paper what i put in hdd for stopping motor when i tried without paper i am hearing some noises from hdd like cızzz cızzz and this is like a little bit vibration this is happening without paper anyways about ca-42 driver i already have cd fro ca-42 and i installed what driver include at there but i never got reply from terminal and when i put cable or take out i dont have any message from windows, isnt it a little bit weird? i thouht i would have "safe remove device" anyways and i am alittle bit nervous about my cable as well, Can it be not working?
this is what i am getting when i put the cable to usb,is that mean : driver installed correctly?
Posted Image
edit
this is what i am getting from terminal when i use -orange-blue-red cable as socket 2.3.4.
Posted Image

Edited by bloodraveb27, 03 April 2009 - 04:03 PM.

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
I had the same cable with the same colors and orange is for ground you can be sure of that. But I forgot what was blue or red for. You have 2 possibilities in this case ;) Just give it a try. Oh by the way I used a driver named "ark3116_Drive.rar" that I googled. Use this one in case the driver that comes with it does not work.

Edited by australis, 04 April 2009 - 12:11 AM.

bloodraveb27

bloodraveb27
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
looking my case is a driver problem i looked for google and ark3116_Drive.rar(http://www.citronid....k3116_Drive.rar) i dont know i installed right but i got same name(http://img231.images...1/3605/ca42.png) under device manager is it right file for driver ?which i downloaded, if not please upload this file on something other host firm(rapidshare) and give us a little more explain how to install(i unrared and show target file as \ark3116_Drive\data
edit
is there any special setting for terminal? ASCII or something different? i am workin on it nearly 13 hours and this is drive me crazy :( i would nearly throw hdd to wall...

Edited by bloodraveb27, 04 April 2009 - 03:47 AM.

australis

australis

• 14 posts
  • Joined 31-March 09
well the driver I found was on rapidshare. I'm not at home right now but I'll upload it asap. but I guess you have the right driver now. I used hyperterminal with the default settings. Just select the right com port that is assigned to your usb cable.

stony1999

stony1999
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 04-April 09
Can I ask a question to those guys who used USB-TTL converter, do you have to connect the board to a battery or PC power? as I can read from the product description, it can get power from the USB port.

Thanks.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users