Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4759 replies to this topic

faxizel

faxizel
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-April 09

... However, when I try to get it from Seagate's website, all I get is an ISO with a DriveDetect.exe file inside. What else could I expect from this amazing company...

The ISO image is a bootable one. Once you write it on a CD you can boot from it, and all the code which updates the firmware is in the bootable part which is invisible in Windows (or in any other OS), unless you use a specific application like WinISO or similar.

The firmware update must be done at the lowest level possible of OS (read "good ol' DOS" :D), thus the necessity to have a bootable CD image.

hummm, interesting. I mounted the ISO but could only see 2 files (readme and the detectdrive.exe)... I'll try burning it then... Thanks!

Did anyone experience problems with the firmware update? Possible data loss?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
Hullo folks out there in bricked drive land!

Just reporting another success in the method for a pair of 1TB (ST31000340AS) drives. I've read most of the various threads on the net and managed to muddle through with a mix of them all. For those of you that may be a bit less technical (I'm not far behind you), I detailed my procedure in simpler terms for a friend in the same boat down in the States who was terrified of the whole process. It wasn't the cheapest or easiest path and probably took a few extra steps/parts but I do think it simplifed (and filtered) a lot of the other instructions out there for some of the technically challenged (which as I say, I'm not far behind). If you'd like to peer at my method and results, you can do so at http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html , the page I created on my own site. (I promise, nothing is for sale there) There's a whole new crop of pictures and yet another digest of the instructions. I'll keep it up as long as the bandwidth doesn't go nuts.

Thanks to everyone here that helped me understand and get my drives back. Cheers!

- Carter

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

hummm, interesting. I mounted the ISO but could only see 2 files (readme and the detectdrive.exe)... I'll try burning it then... Thanks!

Next time, open the .iso with 7-zip and check the contents of the [BOOT] folder you will see. ;)

If you'd like to peer at my method and results, you can do so at http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html , the page I created on my own site.

Thanks for making that page.

Besides being very clear, I like the use of large, friendly letters. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 24 April 2009 - 07:58 AM.

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
If we're anything here in Canada, it's large and friendly...wait, that didn't come out right. :lol:

Glad it helped. I'm waiting to hear back from my technically challenged friend in the States to see if it works for her drive. Stay tuned.

Cheers,

CinC

ElectroGeeza

ElectroGeeza

• 20 posts
  • Joined 05-April 09

GREAT SUCCESS!

[...]

Now I'm trying to find the firmware update, because the ticking bomb is still inside the drive... However, when I try to get it from Seagate's website, all I get is an ISO with a DriveDetect.exe file inside. What else could I expect from this amazing company... I bought a Seagate drive because I was tired of Samsung drives crashing... Never again!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!
I am currently in Portugal. If you're close by, I may be able to help you.

PS. I find it really unbelievable to know that Seagate is aware that thousands of customers are currently using a drive that will sooner or latter become unusable, and yet they act like it's a minor issue... And they even screw up the firmware release... **** THEM!

Other users have reported the same thing, and I can confirm that as well. This is normal that you can't see anything else in that ISO file. If you look at the total size of that ISO file and compare it to those files you can find in it, you will understand that the total size for the ISO file is bigger then for the total size of those files you found in it. It's a simple thing you can do without any special software, and it shows that there are system files that you can not see in Windows Explorer or any other file manager software. However if you do want to see the whole content of the ISO file in Windows or other OS you will have to open it with the special software for it like ISO Buster, Power ISO, Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO.

Anyway, you don't need to actually "see" the whole content of the ISO file to "believe" that they are there. Boy, this sounds like a religious thing. :huh: Just burn the **** ISO to a CD-R or CD-RW and you are ready to go. Never burned an ISO image file to a CD? Don't worry, it's easy. There are lot of CD/DVD authoring software out there that support it. Among others, Nero Burning ROM supports burning ISO files to disc. But if you don't have Nero that's fine too because there are a lot of free software you can use. I don't have Nero either. It's true that I am an old Nero user, but I don't use Nero anymore, I stopped using it like two years ago because it just feels too much of a bloatware now. For burning image files like ISO I use ImgBurn which is my favorite right now. It's really easy to use and works flawlessly, and at top of all it's freeware! I just burned the Firmware ISO for my Seagate Barracuda two days ago by using ImgBurn, and then I successfully upgraded the FW on it from version SD15 to SD1A.

If you need any help burning the ISO to CD I can help, so please write your questions.

If you do have Nero and feel more comfortable with using Nero instead, then you can find a short guide on Seagate's website on how to use Nero to burn an ISO file. The link to that Web page is located on the same page where you find the Firmware download link for your drive. I don't know how you missed it, it should be a link to it there. I think this is that link: http://seagate.custk...f...&NewLang=en

If you need any help with the Firmware (FW) upgrade procedure I can help you, so please write your questions about that as well.

On the same Web page where you download the Firmware ISO file, you can find another link which tells you how to upgrade the FW eventually, after burning the ISO of it to a CD. Here is that link: http://support.seaga..._procedure.html

The bottom line is...
It's normal if you can't see all the files in the ISO file in your file manager. This is because it's a bootable CD.

The Firmware ISO you have downloaded is not corrupted, so there is nothing to be worried or amazed about it. You just need to burn it to a CD. Please note that you have to use the appropriate "image file burning" functionality of your CD authoring software, so you can't just drag and drop the file to a new CD compilation.

You can in fact use DVD discs as well as CD, it shouldn't be a problem there. But I would stick to the original idea and use a CD, just in case. I had few CD-RW at home so I took one of them and burned the Firmware ISO file to it with ImgBurn.

After you have the burned the Firmware ISO file to a CD successfully, you will need to boot from it. So put that CD (or DVD) into the computer on which you have connected the Barracuda disk drive, and power it on, or restart it if it's already on. If the CD doesn't load you may need to configure boot sequence order for your computer in BIOS. If you don't know how, let me know, I can help you with that. But before you do the FW upgrade, please make sure to disconnect all the other disk drives in the computer except for the ODD (CD-ROM) which you will use to read the CD and the Barracuda drive of course onto which you will load the new FW.

If you have any questions please ask. I will do my best to answer it.

As of Seagate and this disaster (not a minor problem), I have already said what I think about it in my previous posts so I won't spend any more of my time spitting at them. What frightens me now is that there are still disk drives in circulation on the market of this same disk drive family and Firmware version that have been affected by this problem (not all are affected). So you can still run into one of these bad drives today. Seagate didn't do any product draw backs even after realizing the problem. They still sell these bricks! That's even worse then the initial problem with the disk drives to begin with! :}

>>Is any of you guys interested in a new re-written recovery guide for this BSY (or LBA=0) error?<<

I think this would be very valuable. You could also include all of the mis-information that people should avoid. (like where to stick the card stock under the PCB)

Also, pictures are very useful. The more info (better info) that is out there, the less confusion people will have.

Alright then, it's set now, I will continue to write it. Unlike Gradius I will be glad to hear your feedback on it so I can improve it. I really don't want to compete with Gradius, I just want to publish a complete and understandable guide which even those less technically minded could have use of. And I don't want it to be just "my" guide, I accept any body's contributions to it.

I will publish it as a new thread here at MSFN as soon as possible.

This is the least thing I can do to show my appreciation and to help others who are new to this problem and feel lost in the methods and approaches discussed in this thread.

Hola estoy intentado arreglar el disco con el cable dku5 pero me da error en el puerto aparentemente los driver estan bien instalados.

Hi i'm used dku-5 for nokia but fails in port com3

Posted Image

Esta configurado de la siguiente manera en el hyperTerminal

Posted Image

El administrador de dispositivos parece que esta bien.

Posted Image

My english is very poor, sorry

Gracias.

I'm sorry but I don't understand Spanish. I understand that you are using a DKU-5 data cable for Nokia cell phones. But you will need to give me some more details if I'm going to be of any help to you.

Do you have a physical COM (RS232 - serial) port on your computer?

If not, are you using a USB to RS232 converter cable?

If so, did you install the drivers for it?

What's the make and model of the USB to RS232 adapter cable?

What version of Windows are you using?

It you do have a physical COM (RS232) port on your computer, do you have only one?

If you have several COM ports, did you try to connect the DKU-5 through the second or first COM port (you say you tried COM three)?

Are you sure your cable is a DKU-5? It must be a CA-42 or DKU-5. If it's a DKU-2 or CA-53 or CA-70 it won't work.

What happens if you connect the DKU-5 to a USB port? Does Windows tell you it's installing drivers or asks you to install drivers?

... However, when I try to get it from Seagate's website, all I get is an ISO with a DriveDetect.exe file inside. What else could I expect from this amazing company...

The ISO image is a bootable one. Once you write it on a CD you can boot from it, and all the code which updates the firmware is in the bootable part which is invisible in Windows (or in any other OS), unless you use a specific application like WinISO or similar.

The firmware update must be done at the lowest level possible of OS (read "good ol' DOS" :D), thus the necessity to have a bootable CD image.

Correct! :yes:

Did anyone experience problems with the firmware update? Possible data loss?

What CD/DVD emulator are you using to mount the ISO? :) I'm just curious...

You have to burn them!

Even if you manage to see the "hidden" system files, you will still need to burn that ISO file to a CD in order to use it to upgrade the Firmware on your disk drive, just as I explained to you above. It's not like you can upgrade the Firmware from within Windows, and even if this was possible it would be so much more risky. I remember reading quite recently about Asus users who bricked their Asus motherboards when they tried to upgrade their BIOS version by using the BIOS upgrade utility software for Windows made by Asus. So for these types of applications like when upgrading Firmware or BIOS on your computer it's better to use DOS type of software at boot point. That's why Seagate is doing exactly that, so that's at least one good thing from Seagate's part.

As I wrote above, I upgraded the Firmware on my Barracuda two days ago. I downloaded the Firmware ISO, and then burned it to a CD-RW by using ImgBurn. Then I powered off the computer and disconnected every other HDD and external peripheral devices except the affected Barracuda HDD, the ODD (CD-ROM) and the mouse and keyboard. Then I powered it on again, the Firmware upgrade utility loads, then I upgrade the firmware for my HDD. After upgrading the Firmware the new version is SD1A while the old one was SD15, so it's a successful upgrade. No data was affected by the upgrade. All thou I did backup the most important files from this HDD before upgrading the FW on it.

Just reporting another success in the method for a pair of 1TB (ST31000340AS) drives. I've read most of the various threads on the net and managed to muddle through with a mix of them all. For those of you that may be a bit less technical (I'm not far behind you), I detailed my procedure in simpler terms for a friend in the same boat down in the States who was terrified of the whole process. It wasn't the cheapest or easiest path and probably took a few extra steps/parts but I do think it simplifed (and filtered) a lot of the other instructions out there for some of the technically challenged (which as I say, I'm not far behind). If you'd like to peer at my method and results, you can do so at http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html , the page I created on my own site. (I promise, nothing is for sale there) There's a whole new crop of pictures and yet another digest of the instructions. I'll keep it up as long as the bandwidth doesn't go nuts.

Thanks to everyone here that helped me understand and get my drives back. Cheers!

- Carter

Nice pictures! :)

I specially like the one on top - HDD equal brick!

Posted Image

You should have added the Seagate logo to the HDD.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

However if you do want to see the whole content of the ISO file in Windows or other OS you will have to open it with the special software for it like ISO Buster, Power ISO, Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO.

Or, as said two posts before, with "normal" Freeware 7-zip. ;)

jaclaz

raulpuro

raulpuro
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-April 09
Thanks ElectroGeeza this problem is Fixed, but I have another.

no access to hard disk LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

After you have connected the power to the circuit board, press CTRL+Z in your HyperTerminal session. You should now see a prompt like this:
CODEF3 T>

If you do not see this prompt, check your RS-232 connections to the drive. (you may have the TX and RX flipped).

Now we'll need to access the Level 2, type:
CODEF3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):
CODEF3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)
F3 2>

So much perfect

But

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):
CODEF3 2>U (enter)

I can not the HyperTerminal is bloqued I can not write.

Posted Image

Thanks

ElectroGeeza

ElectroGeeza

• 20 posts
  • Joined 05-April 09

However if you do want to see the whole content of the ISO file in Windows or other OS you will have to open it with the special software for it like ISO Buster, Power ISO, Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO.

Or, as said two posts before, with "normal" Freeware 7-zip. ;)

jaclaz

I was unsure if 7-Zip is able to open ISO files, and if it is able to open ISO files I was still unsure if it can show the hidden boot information. Therefore, I only linked to those software applications for which I know are able to show the boot information.

I love Freeware, especially the good and well supported OSS software. But there are not many options available when it comes to virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files like those Shareware and Proprietary softwares I listed above. Sure, you can use Daemon Tools as your ROM emulator, but the latest versions are divided into a payed Pro version and a free "Lite" version which by the way feels like bloatware. I am personally using Virtual Clone Drive right now as my favorite virtual ROM. It's freeware, and it includes no unwanted Addware. It doesn't have as many functions as Daemon Tools but it sure works for me.

7-Zip is not just free, it's OSS I think - that is free for real. But are you really sure it supports ISO files? I am personally not using 7-Zip for compressing and decompressing archive files. Instead, I use PeaZip.

Thanks ElectroGeeza this problem is Fixed, but I have another.

no access to hard disk LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051

After you have connected the power to the circuit board, press CTRL+Z in your HyperTerminal session. You should now see a prompt like this:
CODEF3 T>

If you do not see this prompt, check your RS-232 connections to the drive. (you may have the TX and RX flipped).

Now we'll need to access the Level 2, type:
CODEF3 T>/2 (enter)

F3 2>

And type (to spind down the motor):
CODEF3 2>Z (enter)

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs (the time will vary here)
F3 2>

So much perfect

But

With the POWER CONNECTED to the PCB board, as well as your TX/RX terminal wires, mount the board back on the HDA case. You must have the power connected when you do this.

Now type (to start the motor):
CODEF3 2>U (enter)

I can not the HyperTerminal is bloqued I can not write.

Posted Image

Thanks

Are you following Gradius' guide?

Did you place an insulating material between the 3-pin motor contacts and the PCB?

I need to know how you have set up your hard disk drive and which recovery guide you are using, I need to know if it's Gradius' or Aviko's guide. I have used Aviko's guide. If you are using Gradius' guide you would have to place an insulating material between the 3-pin motor contacts and the PCB. But if you are using Aviko's guide you would have to place an insulating material between the 20-pin magnetic heads contacts and the PCB. I used the latter one, and that's the one I would recommend to you. It is supposed to give the same results but I think the latter approach is a more easy and safer method.

Brad Garcia has written a more clean guide titled "Fixing a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive" at Google Sites where he uses Aviko's method. That's the method I have used. The only thing I did differently from Brad's instructions is that in addition to them I used the F712 and the F,,22 command as originally described by Aviko in Post # 513. So you could say that I actually used Aviko's guide. I printed out them both actually.

Edited by ElectroGeeza, 24 April 2009 - 04:08 PM.

Eduardo

Eduardo
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25-April 09

Is any of you guys interested in a new re-written recovery guide for this BSY (or LBA=0) error?

I´m interested too, thanks. I have already collected all the components (conversor, cables, etc...) but there is so many guides and for a guy not very expert in hardware like me, it´s a delicate job and all help is great. I´ll report if i have success.

itsarapong

itsarapong
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
Thanks to everyone here to give me a gem. I'm use DKU-5 usb with 3 line. I wrote this method in my site in Thailand and credit to this forum already.
Thanks. Thanks. Thanks. :thumbup :rolleyes:

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

I was unsure if 7-Zip is able to open ISO files, and if it is able to open ISO files I was still unsure if it can show the hidden boot information. Therefore, I only linked to those software applications for which I know are able to show the boot information.

I love Freeware, especially the good and well supported OSS software. But there are not many options available when it comes to virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files like those Shareware and Proprietary softwares I listed above. Sure, you can use Daemon Tools as your ROM emulator, but the latest versions are divided into a payed Pro version and a free "Lite" version which by the way feels like bloatware. I am personally using Virtual Clone Drive right now as my favorite virtual ROM. It's freeware, and it includes no unwanted Addware. It doesn't have as many functions as Daemon Tools but it sure works for me.

7-Zip is not just free, it's OSS I think - that is free for real. But are you really sure it supports ISO files? I am personally not using 7-Zip for compressing and decompressing archive files. Instead, I use PeaZip.

Rest assured :), I rarely post incorrect information. ;)

Posted Image

Of course 7-zip IS NOT intended as a "virtual ROM emulators and the software that are able to open and edit image files", but if you just need to extract (or peek at) either the El-Torito floppy Emulation image or to the no-emulation bootsector it's the easiest way.

FYI, check Peazip directories....:whistle:

Yes, you ALREADY have 7-zip (command line version) on your PC, and you don't even know that!

Peazip is simply a "collection" of various compression/uncompression tools, and while having some nice features is not, like the full 7-zip, also a (dual pane) file-manager.

jaclaz

asdfasdfasdf

asdfasdfasdf
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-April 09
I can't give this a shot without the images on the tutorial. (BSY problem here)

The author was last online on march... :// If someone "saved" the first page of this thread, please upload it :(

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

I can't give this a shot without the images on the tutorial. (BSY problem here)

The author was last online on march... :// If someone "saved" the first page of this thread, please upload it :(

I have all. :D
Don't worry, I will post it early.

Attached Files

Edited by pichi, 25 April 2009 - 11:30 AM.

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
More pictures:

Attached Files

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
And more pictures:

Attached Files

• Attached File  01.jpg   82.39KB   47 downloads
  • Attached File  02.jpg   64.55KB   44 downloads

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
This is a pleasure. :D

Attached Files

• Attached File  03.jpg   55.85KB   34 downloads
  • Attached File  04.jpg   60.48KB   93 downloads

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
For the more timid disc un-brickers out there, I just got word back from my friend who performed the process to unbrick her own drive successfully. Before she started, she had never even seen the inside of her computer :o so rest assured, you CAN do this. I figured a couple words of encouragement couldn't hurt things here on page 63 of this saga. Hang in there, you'll make it!

(if you want yet another set of pics and instructions, look back a couple posts to find my link. I don't want to spam the board with it.)

Cheers!

CinC

trgTyson

trgTyson
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25-April 09
Just curious if anyone in Toronto/GTA has had to do this/has the hardware/experience already. I think this will fix the prob. with my 7200.11 500GB and you can earn back the cost of the hardware you bought to fix your prob!

Cheers, let me know!

-T

raulpuro

raulpuro
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-April 09
Thanks ElectroGeeza all Fixed, my disk alive :thumbup :thumbup.

The problem was i Remove PCB but i introduce vertical and not horizontal.

Solved Thanks to Pichi .

Pichi eres el mas grande, despues de Perico Delgado claro ;) .

A greeting for all forum.

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
Sorry I'm on the other side of the continent trgTyson otherwise I'd loan you my setup. The crucial bit (the serial-to-TTL adapter) I grabbed was from right next door to you in Quebec at RobotShop. Might be just as easy to get a mail order headed your way. The process itself is simple, you can handle it I'm sure. Since I've already gotten a couple PMs asking for it again, below I quoted my post from a couple days ago with the link to my particular episode of disc un-bricking within.

Good luck, we Canucks have to stick together!

Cheers, CinC

- Carter

Guest_msfnuser333_*

Guest_msfnuser333_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
I have a Maxtor HDD STM31000340AS - MX15.

At Seagate Web site my HDD serial number it is not identified as a problematic serial number but after power cicle, BIOS recognizes the HDD with 0Mb.

I already called Seagate and them said to me that my problem other than 7200.11 general failure. They said to me that the general failure occurred in only a small range of serial numbers blah blah blah and the only thing I can do is changing my HDD by Seagate warranty.

I thought that was a big coincidence that occurs wiyh y HDD and I decided to upgrade fimware to MX1A. Doesn't work, the problem of 0Mb remains.

I wonder if even after updating the firmware also can use the procedures described here to recover my data. If not, I will not spend money buying the USB - TTL adapter.

Thanks

Edited by msfnuser333, 25 April 2009 - 03:12 PM.

mrp41

mrp41
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 25-April 09
Hello,
Hoping someone can help. My Maxtor Diamond 22 died this week . I have been following Brad Garcias guide but am having problems . If I isolate the head contacts with card the disc , on power on , spins up as normal . However after about 30 seconds it spins down and appears to be quite dead .. I cannot start a Putty session with the disc. Ctrl Z produces no prompt . The loop back test for the RS 232 -TTL convertor is fine . I am using a 5V convertor but the disc spinning down happens irrespective of whether it is connected or not . If I remove the card from the PCB the disc spins up as normal and stays spinning as long as power is on .
If I try the method posted by Carter in Canada , isolating the motor contacts I still get no prompts. I have reversed the TX/RX . I am at a complete loss .
Any ideas I can try .
Thanks
Mark

MrCabana

MrCabana
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09
Just to be sure .... flashing my ST3500320AS fw SD15 to the newest one won't screw up my data, will it?
Is this update recomended? Any new issues?

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

Hello,
Hoping someone can help. My Maxtor Diamond 22 died this week . I have been following Brad Garcias guide but am having problems . If I isolate the head contacts with card the disc , on power on , spins up as normal . However after about 30 seconds it spins down and appears to be quite dead .. I cannot start a Putty session with the disc. Ctrl Z produces no prompt . The loop back test for the RS 232 -TTL convertor is fine . I am using a 5V convertor but the disc spinning down happens irrespective of whether it is connected or not . If I remove the card from the PCB the disc spins up as normal and stays spinning as long as power is on .
If I try the method posted by Carter in Canada , isolating the motor contacts I still get no prompts. I have reversed the TX/RX . I am at a complete loss .
Any ideas I can try .
Thanks
Mark

You don't use the card, it is better unmount the PCB completly.
You must join the RXs with the TXs:
RX hdd <-- TX Adapter
TX hdd --> RX Adapter
GND <--> GND
If Ctrl+z no prompt then you have a bad connection or your USB drivers are wrong.
Can you do a loopback test?

Edited by pichi, 25 April 2009 - 05:49 PM.

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
  • Joined 24-April 09

Hello,
Any ideas I can try .
Thanks
Mark

Mark,

Hang in there, I know it's frustrating. I did things a bit different from Brad so I can't really advise about his approach.

If you do it the way I used, the only thing that comes to my mind, and it's a longshot, is to check the settings in both your terminal program (Putty) and on the port hardware settings in your computer BIOS to make sure they match what the drive wants to see. The loopback test working fine says you have things plugged in properly (and in the case of loopback, the settings wouldn't stop it from communicating - loopback wires don't care about the speed, parity, etc.) but it sounds like there's some sort of mis-match when it comes time to actually communicate with the drive. A setting for your COM port like "automatic/software controlled" through the BIOS should be default but perhaps it was accidentally changed to some hard setting (like 2400/N/8/1/Xon) that's interfering with Putty?

Other than that, I don't know Putty well enough to know if there are any other settings that might be accidentally fouling the communications. Are you on an OS where you could try another terminal program? Anyone else out there know Putty pretty well?

Reading the other guides, the only other thing I can imagine could be some sort of grounding/voltage issue that's interfering with communications depending on how you're getting power to your serial-to-TTL adapter? Some part of your setup that comes into play when you switch from the loopback test to the actual drive?

Sorry I'm not much help but those ideas are the only that come to mind. I'll keep thinking about it for you.

Good luck!

CarterInCanada

Just to be sure .... flashing my ST3500320AS fw SD15 to the newest one won't screw up my data, will it?
Is this update recomended? Any new issues?

Mr. C.,

In my case with ST31000340AS drives, flashing the bios of both "repaired" drives (from the BSY error) and drives running SD15 that had yet to exhibit a problem didn't effect my data at all. Everything that was there before the update was there afterwards. I used the bootable firmware CD update made using the method on the Seagate site. They mark the update as HIGHLY recommended and after suffering with three drives that had SD15 problems, I would too. I think the problems they had in the first release of the "fixed" firmware (around January) have died down and the version that's on the site now is stable and cures the problems. At least that seems to be the consensus in the boards I'm reading.

The only extra thing I did was to strip down my system (unplugged the other devices from the motherboard) to just the CD/DVD drive and the drive I was flashing, i.e. one drive at a time so I could be clear WHICH drive was being flashed without the chance of effecting any of my other nine drives in the process. A bit over cautious I know but after all the troubles, I didn't want to take any chances.

Have fun flashing! :rolleyes:

CinC

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users