Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4721 replies to this topic

trax

trax
  • 1 posts
hi,

is this Converter or this USB ok?

Edited by trax, 26 April 2009 - 12:19 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

mrp41

mrp41
  • 2 posts
Carter wrote :

Mark,

Hang in there, I know it's frustrating. I did things a bit different from Brad so I can't really advise about his approach.
If you do it the way I used, the only thing that comes to my mind, and it's a longshot, is to check the settings in both your terminal program (Putty) and on the port hardware settings in your computer BIOS to make sure they match what the drive wants to see. The loopback test working fine says you have things plugged in properly (and in the case of loopback, the settings wouldn't stop it from communicating - loopback wires don't care about the speed, parity, etc.) but it sounds like there's some sort of mis-match when it comes time to actually communicate with the drive. A setting for your COM port like "automatic/software controlled" through the BIOS should be default but perhaps it was accidentally changed to some hard setting (like 2400/N/8/1/Xon) that's interfering with Putty?

Other than that, I don't know Putty well enough to know if there are any other settings that might be accidentally fouling the communications. Are you on an OS where you could try another terminal program? Anyone else out there know Putty pretty well?

Reading the other guides, the only other thing I can imagine could be some sort of grounding/voltage issue that's interfering with communications depending on how you're getting power to your serial-to-TTL adapter? Some part of your setup that comes into play when you switch from the loopback test to the actual drive?

Sorry I'm not much help but those ideas are the only that come to mind. I'll keep thinking about it for you.

Good luck!

CarterInCanada

Many thanks Carter, it was the COM settings in windows that were wrong . I changed them and straight away got an F3. Followed the method and now at last all is well !!!! Data is backing up as I type.
Many thanks to all on this forum who have helped out on this issue.

Cheers
Mark (very relieved)

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts

hi,

is this Converter or this USB ok?

Trax,

The first converter is the right sort of module but since it's powerered at 3v (relatively low), you might have problems if you try to power it from your PC power supply. You'd probably want to use a 3V battery to power that module.

The second USB module looks like the right sort as well but since my German is very rusty, I couldn't tell from the link what voltage it's running on. The same sort of voltage precautions would apply.

Good luck!

CinC

Edit: For everyone out there reading along that might be worried or confused about all this voltage talk, try searching for a TTL module that can accept (and deliver to the HDD data pins) a RANGE of voltages (say 3v to 5.5v) rather than just one static level. This will give you a bit more flexibility in both how you power it and what it sends along to the drive. The one I used was smart enough to adjust to send the same voltage that you use to power the module and while it was a bit high (5v from the PSU) the hard drive tolerated it fine for the few moments it was connected. Reading way back at the beginning of this thread it seems the hard drive would ideally like to see something lower but no harm in the short term. My GUESS (and it's just a guess) is that you could leave the drive data pins plugged into 5v for a few hours without any issues. I just wouldn't leave it plugged in for a week sitting on my workbench.

Edited by CarterInCanada, 26 April 2009 - 06:32 AM.

shivpaul

shivpaul
  • 3 posts
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this particular firmware issue applies to my drive.
I have a seagate ST31000340NS 1TB drive. It is listed as one of the drives with the defective firmware. A few days ago, I had a power outage, and when the electricity came back on, my mac wasn't starting up.
My drive just spins up, clicks a couple times and repeats the process. Its not being recognized in disk utility or even disk warrior.

My question is, do you think this is because of the power outage, or the firmware issue?
And also, can I use the method discribed here to unbrick my ST31000340NS drive?

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts

Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this particular firmware issue applies to my drive.
I have a seagate ST31000340NS 1TB drive. It is listed as one of the drives with the defective firmware. A few days ago, I had a power outage, and when the electricity came back on, my mac wasn't starting up.
My drive just spins up, clicks a couple times and repeats the process. Its not being recognized in disk utility or even disk warrior.

My question is, do you think this is because of the power outage, or the firmware issue?
And also, can I use the method discribed here to unbrick my ST31000340NS drive?

Hello shivpaul,

First, let me say I've never even touched a mac so take this with a grain of salt. I could easily be completely wrong here. On PCs, the firmware related "lockup" is known to happen after a power cycle (turning it off and on, whether by the switch or any other power outtage) so my guess is that *is* your problem. On the drive itself, there should printed which version of the firmware the drive shipped with (assuming you haven't updated it since you bought it). If it's SD15, assuming they use the same numbers on Mac models (which is a huge assumption - potenially wrong), you're one of the "lucky" ones. No clue from me how the "NS" models (which I presume are for Macs) differ from the "AS" versions that I use on my PC.

Along those lines, I don't know if you could wire up the drive as described here and use the Mac version of Hyperterminal to talk to the drive but it SEEMS like the basic TTL commands we're talking about wouldn't care about your Operating System (mac or pc). Once you get the drive unlocked from the BSY state, I have no idea of the process to update the firmware on a Mac but surely that is something the Seagate forums would spell out? I just never looked for it. Anyone else on here more Mac fluent? Is there a "mac version" of our thread out there anywhere?

Worst case, I'd get Seagate on the phone and see what they say. It's a free call at least. Good luck!

- CinC

shivpaul

shivpaul
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your reply CarterInCanada.
The NS Models are older models I believe, not mac or pc specific.
I both two on these drives last august from newegg, and put one of them into an iMac. It was working great up until last week's power outage.
I just ordered one of those CA-42 phone cables to see if I can get this drive back. I'll let you know how it goes.
My only concern was the clicking sound from the drive. It spins up, clicks a couple times, and then repeats the process.
Is this typical from these defective drives?

Oh, and getting my drive to seagate isn't really an option at this point. I'm in Trinidad in the Caribbean, so I'd rather try to fix this myself :whistle:

Hello shivpaul,

First, let me say I've never even touched a mac so take this with a grain of salt. I could easily be completely wrong here. On PCs, the firmware related "lockup" is known to happen after a power cycle (turning it off and on, whether by the switch or any other power outtage) so my guess is that *is* your problem. On the drive itself, there should printed which version of the firmware the drive shipped with (assuming you haven't updated it since you bought it). If it's SD15, assuming they use the same numbers on Mac models (which is a huge assumption - potenially wrong), you're one of the "lucky" ones. No clue from me how the "NS" models (which I presume are for Macs) differ from the "AS" versions that I use on my PC.

Along those lines, I don't know if you could wire up the drive as described here and use the Mac version of Hyperterminal to talk to the drive but it SEEMS like the basic TTL commands we're talking about wouldn't care about your Operating System (mac or pc). Once you get the drive unlocked from the BSY state, I have no idea of the process to update the firmware on a Mac but surely that is something the Seagate forums would spell out? I just never looked for it. Anyone else on here more Mac fluent? Is there a "mac version" of our thread out there anywhere?

Worst case, I'd get Seagate on the phone and see what they say. It's a free call at least. Good luck!

- CinC

morpheux

morpheux
  • 1 posts
with the help of a good old siemens c55 data cable, i have managed to survive my 500gb ST350032AS SD15 hard drive. Thank you everyone who shares their experiences. you guys achieved what seagate jerks couldn't. thank you again.

and thank you CarterinCanada. your site is very helpful and neat.

Edited by morpheux, 26 April 2009 - 04:40 PM.

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts
[quote name='shivpaul' date='Apr 26 2009, 03:03 PM' post='853096']
Thanks for your reply CarterInCanada.
The NS Models are older models I believe, not mac or pc specific.
I both two on these drives last august from newegg, and put one of them into an iMac. It was working great up until last week's power outage.
I just ordered one of those CA-42 phone cables to see if I can get this drive back. I'll let you know how it goes.
My only concern was the clicking sound from the drive. It spins up, clicks a couple times, and then repeats the process.
Is this typical from these defective drives?

Oh, and getting my drive to seagate isn't really an option at this point. I'm in Trinidad in the Caribbean, so I'd rather try to fix this myself :whistle:

sp,

Good clarification on the models. Bad assumption on my part that it was a mac model.

When I applied power to my BSY state locked drives, I don't recall hearing anything other than ordinary drive spin up noise which, I suppose when I was worried about losing all my data, could have blossomed into full-blown drive panic clicking noises in my head. I don't still have a locked drive to give you a better read on the noise and my memory isn't the best (I need more RAM in my head). Anyone else out there holding a BSY drive that can describe noises, if any, they hear?

As to the clicking noise itself, this may be an odd question but is it an irratic quasi-crunching noise or is it a fairly symmetic getting ready to serve you data click? Mine do make a *subtle* click as they spin up when I boot. When I've had other drives die in a power surge, they've been either totally dead (no noise or spin at all) or a distinctly irregular grind-grind-you're-screwed sorta noise. Maybe the repeat is in the way Macs attempt to key the drive at startup and since it can't find/understand the Seagate, it tries again?

Since you can't send the drive back for their unlock/recovery service, I'd look at it this way...if it IS a truly dead drive from a power surge, you can't make things any worse trying the repair method. Since you're still under warranty, you'll have to send it back as a replacement somehow.

Let the forum know when you get it sorted, I'm sure you're not the only mac person that's found the thread. Cheers!

- CinC

[quote name='morpheux' post='853101' date='Apr 26 2009, 03:38 PM']with the help of a good old siemens c55 data cable, i have managed to survive my 500gb ST350032AS SD15 hard drive. Thank you everyone who shares their experiences. you guys achieved what seagate jerks couldn't. thank you again.

and thank you CarterinCanada. your site is very helpful and neat.[/quote]

You're most welcome morpheux. All I did was digest the info from those that came before me and add a couple bits of clarification. The main thing is that we're all helping each other get past that sinking feeling when we first lose the drive and to the happy results. Cheers!

CinC

hiro

hiro
  • 4 posts

Hi all! I was wondering if mine would fall under the BSY category or worse? Everytime i plug in my hard drive (7200.11 FW:SD15), the head will make some sort noise that goes tuu..tee...tuu.... akin to a motherboard having a bad BIOS firmware. I was wondering if all of you ppl out there are getting such noises upon powering up?

The hard drive was working fine until one day it decided to stop working for good. Now, the drive is undetectable and I've lost over 200GBs of data inside. And I bought it in October 08!!! Even my 9 year old 10.2GB Quantum Fireball is still working today!! What a total disappointment.

My hdd hasn't such noises upon powering up.
First, you can try to repair your hdd with this method.
If this method doesn't work then you can try this one:
I have found the "trrrrr" solution at this webpage:
http://translate.goo...t...es&ie=UTF-8

Is this "trrrrr" solution valid for my HDD(3500320AS:Firmware:SD15)?

I have following error.
-------------------------------------
F3 1>/2

F3 2>U

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 7 mins 17 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180
-------------------------------------

Edited by hiro, 01 May 2009 - 10:51 AM.

ta4gma

ta4gma
  • 1 posts
Gradius 2, you saved me! I have built my own RS 232 to TTL converter using MAX232IN. Followed the instructions and just finished. So happy the ST31000340AS (1GB) that wasn't recognised by BIOS had my projects and other valuable information. It was irreplacable. Thank you very much!

arne

arne
  • 1 posts
Great stuff, I have two brick 1tb's
I will try it if I have time tomorrow.

Arne,

calvinstein

calvinstein
  • 1 posts
Hi guys,

I just experienced this recently. I have 2 Seagate Barracudas ST3500320AS's one with SD15 firmware (working) and a brand new one with SD1A (recently broke- 1 month), it suddenly stopped working and couldn't be detected by the bios (im using an intel dp35dp board). I downloaded the drivedetect from seagate as well as the latest firmware update (boot cd). I tried to update the firmware and it did but the drive is still not detectable. Tests on Seatools also fail on it. Now I know the problem could be BSY or CC and I've seen the solution on the thread. But my question is, could there possibly be another solution to this problem? without having to take the drive apart and perform the jump on it? I'm quite familiar and able to do the hardware hack but I was just wondering if someone's already come up with a simpler and easier solution? If yes thank you in advance, if not. Thanks anyways.

robintay

robintay

• 17 posts
ive got a st1000340as drive. dead since october last year. all the family vacation photos are on it. argh!

following this forum ive purchased almost every single cable mentioned and none has worked. loop through all works. the last cable bought was the ftdi 232r 3v3 usb cable. plugged in the tx/rx to the drive. ground to the drive. rts and cts plugged in together etc. hyperterminal set up to 38400 bps... no response when entered ctrl-z or ctrl-Z.

again i would like to ask if anyone is in the uk particularly in london, please help. i am willing to pay for your help and incovenience.

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts

ive got a st1000340as drive. dead since october last year. all the family vacation photos are on it. argh!

following this forum ive purchased almost every single cable mentioned and none has worked. loop through all works. the last cable bought was the ftdi 232r 3v3 usb cable. plugged in the tx/rx to the drive. ground to the drive. rts and cts plugged in together etc. hyperterminal set up to 38400 bps... no response when entered ctrl-z or ctrl-Z.

again i would like to ask if anyone is in the uk particularly in london, please help. i am willing to pay for your help and incovenience.

Hi Robin,

Hang in there! Your problem sounds like one a few posts back where the loopback works but the communication goes wonky once the drive is introduced. Have you confirmed the hard settings on your USB port aren't doing something to interfere? I'm talking about port settings on your computer's BIOS that might be over-riding the soft setting within Hyperterminal. Another friend of mine had similar problems and we discovered her BIOS had set the USB port to a hard setting different from what the drive expected. Flipped it to "auto/software controlled" and the prompt came right up.

Since you've had a sucessful loopback (wires are dumb and don't care about settings), I'd focus on the communications settings on the port and inside windows just to make sure something there isn't fouled. Slim help I know but it sounds like you're really close to getting there.

Good luck!

CinC

ps. Too bad I'm in Canada, but I come to London every fall so if you're still having problems in October...LOL (sorry, I know you don't find it funny but I couldn't resist)

robintay

robintay

• 17 posts

Hi Robin,

Hang in there! Your problem sounds like one a few posts back where the loopback works but the communication goes wonky once the drive is introduced. Have you confirmed the hard settings on your USB port aren't doing something to interfere? I'm talking about port settings on your computer's BIOS that might be over-riding the soft setting within Hyperterminal. Another friend of mine had similar problems and we discovered her BIOS had set the USB port to a hard setting different from what the drive expected. Flipped it to "auto/software controlled" and the prompt came right up.

Since you've had a sucessful loopback (wires are dumb and don't care about settings), I'd focus on the communications settings on the port and inside windows just to make sure something there isn't fouled. Slim help I know but it sounds like you're really close to getting there.

Good luck!

CinC

ps. Too bad I'm in Canada, but I come to London every fall so if you're still having problems in October...LOL (sorry, I know you don't find it funny but I couldn't resist)

Oh well yeah could be... will have another try tonight. I was actually just browsing for another same drive to try the replace pcb trick. Heck if it is still not working by October let me know when you're in town. :)

Edited by robintay, 29 April 2009 - 09:48 AM.

sergsw

sergsw
  • 3 posts
Hello and BIG thanks for this super helpfull and detailed topic!

I've near successfully recovered my ST31000340AS by aviko algorithm (which has commands to issue if first try fails)
So with nokia's cable CA-42, 2 wires Rx/Tx and 2xAA as 3v power all was made in second try. Got my HD visible in BIOS. Full size.

But some BSY behavior remains -- system slow down loading when this drive is connected. And when it finally loads -- it visible empty and only in Disk Management Console.

I tried to flash from SD15 to SD1A. Tryied to repeat commands along with clearing G-list. All the same -- drive is in BSY-like behavior ((
What can I try else? And is there data remains?

CarterInCanada

CarterInCanada

• 20 posts

Oh well yeah could be... will have another try tonight. I was actually just browsing for another same drive to try the replace pcb trick. Heck if it is still not working by October let me know when you're in town. :)

You might want to read back a few posts before you start swapping PCBs, Robin. A few folks were convinced that was a bad idea and way back in the dark recesses of my brain, I think I agree with them. My highly UNeducated guess is that dropping another PCB on the drive before you can give the spin down command might, at worst, send things wonky and at best, be a waste of time. Just another tidbit to worry you in all this but your mileage may vary on that solution.

As an aside, does Seagate's "official" repair/data recovery not cover you there in the UK? Just curious for anyone else that may be in your situation nearby.

The first pint in October is on you, but here's hoping we get you sorted out long before then. Cheers!

- CinC

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,845 posts

I still have this 30 611 byte of text on the computer, and if anyone is interested I would try to finish it and publish it as a new thread here at MSFN.

If it contains pictures that would be great, it seems that Gradius2 (Isn't that a Konami game like Nemesis (MSX)? B) ) has left the forums and killed some pictures with it.

"Gratis" is used in a lot of languages by the way...

sergsw

sergsw
  • 3 posts
One more detail -- I finally found there's no lag if I set IDE enhanced compatible mode in BIOS (ICH7)

What can it be with SATA mode why it makes line busy and slow down system? Maybe there's a command to reset SATA?

zeddyh

zeddyh
  • 2 posts
Hi Robin

As I successfully unbricked my ST31000340AS drive with the FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable I'd thought I'd share what I did to see if that offers you any useful tips to resolve your problems. I went for the FTDI cable as it avoided the need to play around with any secondary power source.

First I used 2 computers to do this. The first was the desktop PC that had to failed drive. I unplugged the SATA data cable from the drive, but left the original SATA power cable plugged in. This seemed much easier than trying to rig up a power source for the drive. It also avoided the issue that people reported on some SATA extension power cables not containing all the required wires. It also meant I could use the normal PC on/off button to control the power to the drive. (if you had any other hard drives I would suggest unplugging them to avoid damaging them)

The second PC was a laptop that was used to run the hyperterminal commands, and had the FTDI cable attached. I had to download and install the VCP drivers for the cable to be recognised as a COM port. You can get the drivers here http://www.ftdichip....Drivers/VCP.htm Once installed I started hyperterminal and doubled checked I had the right COM port by unplugging the FTDI cable and noting which COM port disappeared.

As far as wiring for the FTDI cable I did the following
- Orange (TXD) - Connected to 1st terminal pin on PCB (closest pin to SATA adapter)
- Yellow (RXD) - Connected to 2nd terminal pin on PCB (2nd closest pin to SATA adapter)
- Black (GND) - Connected to 3rd terminal pin on PCB (3rd closest pin to SATA adapter).

I didn't do anything with any of the other cables.

On the disk drive I place a business card over just the centre drive contacts. I then turned on the power to the desktop PC to provide the power to the hard disk PCB. I waited for the disk to spin up. On my drive I could hear it start to spin, and then after 10 seconds or so it didn't make any additional sounds. (it was this that made me think that the drive wasn't really dead, and lucky find this thread) I've had other disks die and they generally made a sound that doesn't sound healthy straight away.

At that point I started Hyperterminal, and used the settings described, making sure to select the correct COM port for the FTDI cable.
- Baud: 38400, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1, Parity: none, Flow Control: none

As this point I could then use the CTRL+z and got the "F3 T>" prompt.

I then following the exact commands as described by CarterInCanada on his web site.

Hopefully the above gives you a few more pointers to check out if you are still struggling

robintay

robintay

• 17 posts

Hi Robin

As I successfully unbricked my ST31000340AS drive with the FTDI TTL-232R-3V3 cable I'd thought I'd share what I did to see if that offers you any useful tips to resolve your problems. I went for the FTDI cable as it avoided the need to play around with any secondary power source.

First I used 2 computers to do this. The first was the desktop PC that had to failed drive. I unplugged the SATA data cable from the drive, but left the original SATA power cable plugged in. This seemed much easier than trying to rig up a power source for the drive. It also avoided the issue that people reported on some SATA extension power cables not containing all the required wires. It also meant I could use the normal PC on/off button to control the power to the drive. (if you had any other hard drives I would suggest unplugging them to avoid damaging them)

The second PC was a laptop that was used to run the hyperterminal commands, and had the FTDI cable attached. I had to download and install the VCP drivers for the cable to be recognised as a COM port. You can get the drivers here http://www.ftdichip....Drivers/VCP.htm Once installed I started hyperterminal and doubled checked I had the right COM port by unplugging the FTDI cable and noting which COM port disappeared.

As far as wiring for the FTDI cable I did the following
- Orange (TXD) - Connected to 1st terminal pin on PCB (closest pin to SATA adapter)
- Yellow (RXD) - Connected to 2nd terminal pin on PCB (2nd closest pin to SATA adapter)
- Black (GND) - Connected to 3rd terminal pin on PCB (3rd closest pin to SATA adapter).

I didn't do anything with any of the other cables.

On the disk drive I place a business card over just the centre drive contacts. I then turned on the power to the desktop PC to provide the power to the hard disk PCB. I waited for the disk to spin up. On my drive I could hear it start to spin, and then after 10 seconds or so it didn't make any additional sounds. (it was this that made me think that the drive wasn't really dead, and lucky find this thread) I've had other disks die and they generally made a sound that doesn't sound healthy straight away.

At that point I started Hyperterminal, and used the settings described, making sure to select the correct COM port for the FTDI cable.
- Baud: 38400, Data Bits: 8, Stop Bits: 1, Parity: none, Flow Control: none

As this point I could then use the CTRL+z and got the "F3 T>" prompt.

I then following the exact commands as described by CarterInCanada on his web site.

Hopefully the above gives you a few more pointers to check out if you are still struggling

Hey zeddyh

Thanks for your info. I'll have to set up the laptop to give this a try. Pray for the light at the end of the tunnel for this drive...

shivpaul

shivpaul
  • 3 posts
Well I finally got my Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB drive back from the dead :thumbup
So I though I'd share my experience so others with Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB drives could have some hope.

First I bought a nokia CA-42 cable from amazon:
http://www.amazon.co...i...6762&sr=8-2

After receiving the cable, cut off the end that goes to the phone, and strip the wires. Five wires in total. Red, Black, White, Blue and Yellow. (please note I never used the Yellow wire at all during the process detailed below)
When i connected the usb end of the cable into my Windows XP pc, it wasn't recognized by my pc. I had to take Red and Black wires of the cable and connect them to my pc's power supply (seems this cable requires power from a nokia phone, which I substituted for the pc's power supply instead).
Attached File  Ca_42_Seagate_help.jpg   188.86KB   88 downloads

Once the cable is receiving power, my pc recognized it and asked for drivers. I downloaded drivers previously from Open Drivers website :
http://www.opendrive...e-download.html

After driver has been installed for the cable, you can now open up hyperterminal.
When hyperterminal opens up, you will have to specify a name for the new connection(for example, direct-com-1), after which you'll have to select the particular COM port to use. In my case, it was COM 5. When you install the cable correctly, a new COM port will be opened. So you'll have to figure out which one it is from the drop down list within hyperterminal when setting up the new connection. Also make to use the following settings in hyperterminal: 38400, 8, None, 1, None.

Once you have the hyperterminal connection established, when you type anything on the keyboard, nothing shows up. At this point, create a loopback connection with your nokia CA-42 cable by connecting the Blue and White wires together. After this, type again and you should see you characters showing up just fine.

Its now time to connect the White wire to the RX pin, the Blue to the TX pin, and also connect a wire from the the Black wire to the ground on the back of the hard drive.. (you can see which pin is which on the hard drive here: http://sites.google....seagatefix/Home ... just scroll down to the middle of the page for the picture)

(keep the CA-42 cable always plgged into your pc during everything described above)

Once this is done, plug in the sata power plug to the back of the drive. after a little while, if everything was connected correctly, you will start to see a continuous error message being displayed in your hyperterminal window... LED: 000000CC ..

At this point, i began following this guide here : http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=129551
The only difference though was that I used the photo reference in post #3 of the above link. That photo showed me exactly where I had to short. After which I just proceeded with those instructions.

At the point where i had to enter m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and wait though....half hour later I was still waiting for a response from the drive.
So I decided to shut down the hard drive, unplug the CA-42 cable, and reconnect back the cable, start back a new hyperterminal connection, and plug back in the drive.
I then followed the recommendation of post #1010 on page 51 of this thread...
Once I had a connection to the drive once again, I typed in:
F3 T>F,,22
and got... Drive Configuration restored to defaults
then i typed:
F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

After about a minute or so, I got the required response similar to:
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

Then I powered down my hard drive, inserted it into my external enclosure, and bam! happy days!
all my info. from the drive was back!
MANY THANKS to everyone who contributed their time and efforts to help us all.

Edited by shivpaul, 30 April 2009 - 07:18 PM.

toniko

toniko
  • 2 posts
I have this problem with my Seagate 7200.11 too. I'm reading this quide that you have post for fixing the problem and my main problem is that i can't see the pictures shown in the gquide. Is there any video or pictures that i can see to view the whole process, because it's very difficult to understand without it.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,077 posts

I have this problem with my Seagate 7200.11 too. I'm reading this quide that you have post for fixing the problem and my main problem is that i can't see the pictures shown in the gquide. Is there any video or pictures that i can see to view the whole process, because it's very difficult to understand without it.

toniko,
try using this guide:
http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html

The "missing images" of the original guide have been re-uploaded here, however:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...807&st=1243

jaclaz

toniko

toniko
  • 2 posts
thank you ! :). I'm going to try everything, hope it will happen :)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN