Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4743 replies to this topic

fatlip

fatlip

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Sorry all, I was not able to film the fix today. I was in a hurry to get it done as I had other commitments. However, I can say that it was successfully unbricked.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Hazor

Hazor
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-January 09

Does this look like it would work?
http://alldav.com/in...d6ba656f1d26c58
Looks like only $4 in US shipped.

Yes, it will. I used a more expensive one, yet more simple:
http://www.sparkfun....products_id=449

Includes full pics and schematic.

Gradius

Also note that with this one from alldav.com, it doesn't have pins on the gnd/rx/tx/vcc to connect your jumpers. I had my dad solder to it some of the headers that came with the jumper wires I got. I'm about to attempt the BSY fix with that adapter. :D I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, Gradius: Not all the PCBs are like that. I have the rectangular one like Fatlip has on his:
http://www.msfn.org/...p...st&p=823633
So it may be a little bit different in which or how many screws need to be removed. I'm going to try to do the paper thing also. I'll report how it goes, and see about some pictures for anyone interested.

Edited by Hazor, 21 January 2009 - 07:28 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

Also note that with this one from alldav.com, it doesn't have pins on the gnd/rx/tx/vcc to connect your jumpers. I had my dad solder to it some of the headers that came with the jumper wires I got. I'm about to attempt the BSY fix with that adapter. :D I'll let you know how it goes.

This is why I included a complete kit (wire jumpers + headers) there. ;)

Also, Gradius: Not all the PCBs are like that. I have the rectangular one like Fatlip has on his:
http://www.msfn.org/...p...st&p=823633
So it may be a little bit different in which or how many screws need to be removed. I'm going to try to do the paper thing also. I'll report how it goes, and see about some pictures for anyone interested.

They sure can vary from HDD to HDD, but the principle is just the same and won't change.

Edited by Gradius2, 21 January 2009 - 07:44 PM.

"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

Hazor

Hazor
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-January 09
:S Well, that was anticlimactic. I hooked it all up, powered on, and in hyperterminal I'm getting nothing. I switched the RX/TX lines (One fellow said he has his RX-RX and TX-TX instead of RX-TX and TX-RX, so I figured maybe mine was mislabled also), and still Ctrl+Z in hyperterminal does nothing. :S Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. I have two COM port options, COM1 and COM3, I forgot to try COM1 again after switching the RX and TX connections. I've got the prompt now, using RX-RX and TX-TX.. Hm.. Mislabeled or? killerB, any chance you're using the alldav.com adapter too?

Edited by Hazor, 21 January 2009 - 08:39 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

:S Well, that was anticlimactic. I hooked it all up, powered on, and in hyperterminal I'm getting nothing. I switched the RX/TX lines (One fellow said he has his RX-RX and TX-TX instead of RX-TX and TX-RX, so I figured maybe mine was mislabled also), and still Ctrl+Z in hyperterminal does nothing. :S Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind. I have two COM port options, COM1 and COM3, I forgot to try COM1 again after switching the RX and TX connections. I've got the prompt now.

Keep in mind all the commands are case-sensitive.

Plus, double check the speed, it MUST be 38400 8 N 1

I see you managed to get an answer from terminal though.
"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

NEO_AMiGA

NEO_AMiGA

• 12 posts
  • Joined 20-January 09
Oooh. Oki. How about this one then?

http://www.ftdichip....232R3V3_v09.pdf

Or this one:

http://www.lawicel-s...o...0&refcode=p

THe usb-one sounds sweet.

Hey guys! :hello:

Trying to find components here in Sweden to build me my own interface. Since Seagate are giving us the silent treatment I don't have to much hope in them saving my data (atleast not within reasonable time).

The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding the RS232 to TTL converter. I have emailed the biggest electronic component store and asked, but they are probably sleeping at the moment. =) SO thought I'd check with you guys if you think that any of the pasted names links below could do it?

FT232BL USB - seriellt if LQFP32
https://www1.elfa.se...TA/07320658.pdf

Cheers!

The problem is that none there is in clear text RS232 to TTL. But maybe TTL is referred to as something else also?

FT232BL will works just fine, the problem it looks like IC only, and not mounted (ready to use).

Like this one:
http://shop.ebay.com...a...B&_osacat=0

Gradius

Anth

Anth

• 21 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Look what Seagate has posted again today!!!

http://seagate.custk...f...951&Hilite=

Yup the ST3500320AS etc. firmware

No STM3500320AS etc versions yet tho.

Looks like its labled as the same as last time, tho i never checked.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
Okay, they finally released a different (fixed?) firmware today for those drives:

STD Firmware Updates Barracuda 7200.11 SD1A 3 and 4 Disc Models
(750GB and 1000GB) Distribution tabs
ST3750330AS 9BX156
ST3750630AS 9BX146
ST31000340AS 9BX158

Generic Disty/STD-OEM, 16MB and 32MB, SATA Configurations, Moose

SHA1 comparing NEW with old firmware:
c:Seagate>sha1sum SD1A3D4D.LOD SD1AMOOS.LOD
b07e3a9ccf49185bc681f858c6ce568b45dd0ae5  SD1A3D4D.LOD (new)
268c6931e85936cfac3871c5baaee0c327186233  SD1AMOOS.LOD (old)

I guess I'll be forced to open another topic to talk about firmware only.

Edit: currently there is a problem with board, I'll wait until they fix that, meanwhile I'll make some tests, etc. If you can wait couple hours, just wait!

Or this one:

Every RS232 to TTL will works, also USB to RS232 to TTL, also will works.

To a complete list of materials, please check the 1st msg on this topic (I included everything there, links and even prices).

Edited by puntoMX, 22 January 2009 - 03:42 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
About firmware, I'll just post here.

They finally released a different (fixed?) firmware today for those drives:

STD Firmware Updates Barracuda 7200.11 SD1A 3 and 4 Disc Models
(750GB and 1000GB) Distribution tabs
ST3750330AS 9BX156
ST3750630AS 9BX146
ST31000340AS 9BX158

Generic Disty/STD-OEM, 16MB and 32MB, SATA Configurations, Moose

SHA1 comparing NEW with old firmware:
c:Seagate>sha1sum SD1A3D4D.LOD SD1AMOOS.LOD
b07e3a9ccf49185bc681f858c6ce568b45dd0ae5  SD1A3D4D.LOD (new)
268c6931e85936cfac3871c5baaee0c327186233  SD1AMOOS.LOD (old)

This is what flash.bat does:
fdl462b -m Moose -f SD1A3D4D.LOD -i ST3750330AS -s -x -b -v -a 20

fdl462b -m Moose -f SD1A3D4D.LOD -i ST3750630AS -s -x -b -v -a 20

fdl462b -m Moose -f SD1A3D4D.LOD -i ST31000340AS -s -x -b -v -a 20

I flashed all my 4x750GB, however 3 of them were with SD1AMOOS.LOD already installed, and I still don't know if it really re-flashed with new one.

How to boot Seagate firmware from a pendrive.

You'll just need a bootable pendrive (of course), with MS-DOS 6.22, or similar DOS.

How to extract Seagate ISO:

Open ISO with 7zip, extract the Bootable_1.44M.img file inside [BOOT] folder (inside the ISO).

Then open Bootable_1.44M.img file with Power ISO, or Magic ISO, or Ultra ISO, similar, and extract SD1A3D4D.ZIP file inside.

You only need to copy those files (unziped) to your bootable pendrive, and you're done to boot with pendrive.

At prompt just type flash (flash.bat) and it will do the rest.

Edited by puntoMX, 22 January 2009 - 03:43 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
Before, with SD15 firmware:
Posted Image

After with SD1A:
Posted Image

S.M.A.R.T.:
Posted Image

Random Read tests:
Posted Image

Write test:
Posted Image

NEO_AMiGA

NEO_AMiGA

• 12 posts
  • Joined 20-January 09

Or this one:

Every RS232 to TTL will works, also USB to RS232 to TTL, also will works.

To a complete list of materials, please check the 1st msg on this topic (I included everything there, links and even prices).

Thanks man. You're a lifesaver. I'll order both. Because if I'm not mistaken I really only need the USB one and just hook that directly up to the TX and RX-port of the disk. Should work if i have understood it all correctly. But I'll play it safe and order both.

Thanks man. :thumbup

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
First impressions for firmware SD1A:

- Better reading speed (more stable)
- Better writing speed (more stable)
- Burst rate went from 82.4MB/sec to 89.9MB/sec (much better)
- Access time from 12.4ms to 12.3ms now (no changes)

No problems so far.

Tested on 4 (four) ST3750330AS [750GB] (originally: SD15, now using SD1A).

Currently testing defrag with diskeeper, it is running for over 6h now (@ 66% atm), so far so good, the drive is 44% full.

Edited by Gradius2, 22 January 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Hazor

Hazor
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-January 09
I'm happy to report success on fixing the BSY flag for my drive. Thank you very much, Fatlip, Pichi, Gradius, et al.
I did not have the 0GB problem, however, so I have nothing to report on that.

One thing I'd like to discuss is this:
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = 00C8
User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 000
User Partition Format   5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 10 secs

F3 T>
The m0,2,2,,,,,22 command took several minutes. I was concerned after about 2-3 minutes considering previous statements that the command should only take 15-30 seconds or a bit over 1 minute, but it finished anyway. So for those yet to do this: Don't panic if it takes a while.

I wonder though, does the time it took have to do with the number of partitions? I have ten partitions, including several logical partitions for various Linux installs. I'm doubting that it's due to space used on the drive as I know some folks must've had more than 200GB used. It can't be much to do with the processor speed, I'm on a Core 2 Duo e7300 2.66GHz.

Also, for the other people who have shown their output, only one User Partition Format line was reported - in the above I have two. Should I be concerned about that? Considering that it's working just fine I don't think so, but better safe than sorry. Could it be because I have extended partitions and those who have shown their output only have primary partitions?

Edited by Hazor, 22 January 2009 - 03:40 PM.

kadolf

kadolf

• 25 posts
  • Joined 15-January 09
Great news (at least for me): I managed to get my drive back to a useable state. If you remember, I was the only one getting a strange error while doing the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 thing, some said my disk is physical dead, others said it's another firmware bug of the SD11-firmware on my drive.
Well, both guesses were wrong: I tried the whole thing with another PC and it worked, so it had something to do with my COM-port. The strange thing was that I could connect to my HDD via COM-port flawlessly, but instead of the sucess-confirmation I got an "User Partition Format was not sucessful" error.
With another PC it worked great, BIOS now recognized the drive, but the RAID0 was gone... I found a great tool solving this problem: File Scavenger. It's $50, but it works like a charm (e.g. it can make a software raid and backup the data even when the hardware raid doesn't work) - I'm confident that in about 20 hours I will have all my data back.

Thanks to all of you helping me and solving the issue!

Edited by kadolf, 22 January 2009 - 03:50 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

The m0,2,2,,,,,22 command took several minutes. I was concerned after about 2-3 minutes considering previous statements that the command should only take 15-30 seconds or a bit over 1 minute, but it finished anyway. So for those yet to do this: Don't panic if it takes a while.

I wonder though, does the time it took have to do with the number of partitions? I have ten partitions, including several logical partitions for various Linux installs. I'm doubting that it's due to space used on the drive as I know some folks must've had more than 200GB used. It can't be much to do with the processor speed, I'm on a Core 2 Duo e7300 2.66GHz.

Also, for the other people who have shown their output, only one User Partition Format line was reported - in the above I have two. Should I be concerned about that? Considering that it's working just fine I don't think so, but better safe than sorry. Could it be because I have extended partitions and those who have shown their output only have primary partitions?

That depends a lot on drive, the smaller and more partitions on HDD (500GB or less), the slower it is. But 2~3 minutes for those drives is normal.

My 750GB took around 70secs.

It won't depends on computer at all. It writes on service sector (isn't for user datas).

You're safe to test, if you see not all partitions are there, stop using and report here.

Great news (at least for me): I managed to get my drive back to a useable state. If you remember, I was the only one getting a strange error while doing the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 thing, some said my disk is physical dead, others said it's another firmware bug of the SD11-firmware on my drive.
Well, both guesses were wrong: I tried the whole thing with another PC and it worked, so it had something to do with my COM-port. The strange thing was that I could connect to my HDD via COM-port flawlessly, but instead of the sucess-confirmation I got an "User Partition Format was not sucessful" error.
With another PC it worked great, BIOS now recognized the drive, but the RAID0 was gone... I found a great tool solving this problem: File Scavenger. It's $50, but it works like a charm (e.g. it can make a software raid and backup the data even when the hardware raid doesn't work) - I'm confident that in about 20 hours I will have all my data back.

Thanks to all of you helping me and solving the issue!

I see, your problem was really totally different from the others.

Keep in mind RAID 0 is the most risky and excelent to loss all your datas, IF just one drive goes down (crash, etc), you might lost everything, no matter if the other drives are working 100% fine.

Edited by puntoMX, 24 January 2009 - 06:13 PM.

kadolf

kadolf

• 25 posts
  • Joined 15-January 09
I know that RAID0 is risky, that was the reason I bought an external Seagate ST31500341AS, I wanted to make a backup every week.
Sadly one of my RAID0-drives got broken before I had the change to back up. Well, now everything is fine I think.

SpooX

SpooX
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
I have
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
1000 Gb
ST31000333AS
P/N: 9FZ136 -100
Firmware: LC15
Date Code: 09153
Site Code: TK
Made in Thailand

first it was stated at seagate it was faulty, and now it's not, however it is.
I made an rs232--ttl adapter which works fine.

The initial error I've got in the terminal is:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9
RST 0x20M
(P) SATA Reset

Since i have a different firmware do I have to use the exact same as the 'CC errors aka BUSY' ?
Because when I power down, and after 10 sec powerup the drive it shows again an 'RST 0x20M'
Also i haven't recieved the confirmation message "User Partition Format Successful"
I'm a bit at a loss right now...

oh man you've had me sweating!!

it took ages before the confirmation appeared....pfew
but still i recieved a message that a part was skipped, the drive is now visible again, however it's freeking slow...so far only the first partition (out of three) seems to be reachable...

to be more exact about the error:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 000
00080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs
Zone re-format was skipped.

any suggestions?

Edited by SpooX, 22 January 2009 - 05:42 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
@SpooX

You should never disconnect the drive after m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmd is given, even if takes 5min. How long it took to you?

That RST 0x20M error sounds like a problem with the "motor trick", check my paper card I used here:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=829013

Edited by Gradius2, 22 January 2009 - 05:51 PM.

dskbrk

dskbrk

• 25 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
SO, is there anyone who successfull recovered a drive that had more than one partition?

My busy drive is divided into 3 NFTS partitions and i'm a bit worried about doing the fix right now. Most of the important data is in the extended third one.

chapin4life

chapin4life

• 21 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
Guys I'm so screwed! I have a
Thesis I have to present in two week and my hard drive seagate ST3500320AS wont show up on bios since yesterday (stuck/halt in BUSY state),

so I guess my only solution is the RS232 to TTL adapter mod but it will take about 2 weeks to get those items here so can I use data cable from a
samsung SGH-P850 cell phone?

Pics of my cable

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by chapin4life, 22 January 2009 - 08:15 PM.

Hazor

Hazor
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 12-January 09

SO, is there anyone who successfull recovered a drive that had more than one partition?

My busy drive is divided into 3 NFTS partitions and i'm a bit worried about doing the fix right now. Most of the important data is in the extended third one.

If you'll see my post here on the previous page, mine had 10, including extended partitions. They seem to be working just fine.

Edited by Hazor, 22 January 2009 - 08:25 PM.

SpooX

SpooX
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09

@SpooX

You should never disconnect the drive after m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmd is given, even if takes 5min. How long it took to you?

That RST 0x20M error sounds like a problem with the "motor trick", check my paper card I used here:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=829013

I did use the papercard trick also,
it took about 5 to 10 minutes untill i saw the confirmation message as posted before ( i couldn't bear to wait for it so I left it alone and went out for a smoke) when I came back I saw the message was just starting to appear...

fatlip

fatlip

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Spoox,

You have/had the "BUSY" error:
LED:000000CC <<that is it!

Now, it looks like you waited long enough on the:
m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

This is this first we have seen of this:

What have you done since this? Just powered the drive off? Have you tried to connect it to the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognizes it?

Fatlip.

I have
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
1000 Gb
ST31000333AS
P/N: 9FZ136 -100
Firmware: LC15
Date Code: 09153
Site Code: TK
Made in Thailand

first it was stated at seagate it was faulty, and now it's not, however it is.
I made an rs232--ttl adapter which works fine.

The initial error I've got in the terminal is:

LED:000000CC FAddr:0024CDC9RST 0x20M(P) SATA Reset
Since i have a different firmware do I have to use the exact same as the 'CC errors aka BUSY' ?
Because when I power down, and after 10 sec powerup the drive it shows again an 'RST 0x20M'
Also i haven't recieved the confirmation message "User Partition Format Successful"
I'm a bit at a loss right now...

oh man you've had me sweating!!

it took ages before the confirmation appeared....pfew
but still i recieved a message that a part was skipped, the drive is now visible again, however it's freeking slow...so far only the first partition (out of three) seems to be reachable...

to be more exact about the error:
F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8User Partition Format   4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secsUser Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secsZone re-format was skipped.

any suggestions?

Chapin,

I have no idea if this method will work, so I can't say yes.

I can say that the method I used here worked perfectly:
http://www.msfn.org/...o...st&p=823633 (post 30)

Here are the European distributors:
http://www.schmartbo...e...region&dr=4

Maybe you can find what you need through them?

Feel free to PM me if you have questions/need help.

Fatlip

Guys I'm so screwed! I have a
Thesis I have to present in two week and my hard drive seagate ST3500320AS wont show up on bios since yesterday (stuck/halt in BUSY state),

so I guess my only solution is the RS232 to TTL adapter mod but it will take about 2 weeks to get those items here so can I use data cable from a
samsung SGH-P850 cell phone?

Pics of my cable

Posted Image

Posted Image

SpooX

SpooX
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09

Spoox,

m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

What have you done since this? Just powered the drive off? Have you tried to connect it to the SATA port to see if the BIOS recognizes it?

Fatlip.

At first I waited a while and powered off the drive,
then I connected it to SATA on a vista x64 machine, however it wouldn't boot completely, but I was pleased to see the BIOS recognized the drive.
I rebooted and went into the Bios to see if there wasn't an LBA 0 error, there wasn't.
Then I powered the computer down and took out the drive and put it in an external casing (SATA-USB 2) and connected it to my laptop.
The drive was recognized instantly, and the first partition came up as it should. The second and third partition came up, but were not accesible, after a very long time windows pops up with a message to format the drive. Of course I didn't format the drive. So I was able to restore all the files on the first partition, but the others still needs some research.

fatlip

fatlip

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Spoox,

well i think you are very close;

Um.... ahem: :unsure:

Search for Active@ UNDELETE Enterprise 7.1.050.rar
on thepiratebay.org

That is about as far as i can take you "legally".

:P

PM me if you need more help.

Spoox,

m0,2,2,,,,,22 command.

Fatlip.

At first I waited a while and powered off the drive,
then I connected it to SATA on a vista x64 machine, however it wouldn't boot completely, but I was pleased to see the BIOS recognized the drive.
I rebooted and went into the Bios to see if there wasn't an LBA 0 error, there wasn't.
Then I powered the computer down and took out the drive and put it in an external casing (SATA-USB 2) and connected it to my laptop.
The drive was recognized instantly, and the first partition came up as it should. The second and third partition came up, but were not accesible, after a very long time windows pops up with a message to format the drive. Of course I didn't format the drive. So I was able to restore all the files on the first partition, but the others still needs some research.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (2)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN