Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4759 replies to this topic

D3m3nt0r

D3m3nt0r
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 15-January 09
@ Spoox,
i can recommend the "O&O DiskRecovery" Software. They offer a trial version, so you can check if your partitions have a chance to be restored, before you go and buy the program. Which by the way is worth every penny. It helped me to recover a lot of HDDs in the last years.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

valdas

valdas
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Hi,

I am happy to report that I got my ST3750330AS back with all my data :) I have used Siemens C35 mobile phone data cable, cost 5.50 LTL (~2.12 USD). It connects to RS232 9pin connector on computer side, on mobile side it has 12 outputs. One needs 1, 4, 5, 6 outputs. It needs 3.3V power (maybe it will work with 5V, but I did not tried, as from specs it is 3.3V). So I used SATA
power cable as power source: orange cable(pins 1,2,3) are 3.3V, black cable (pins 10,11,12). You need true SATA power cable as converter from MOLEX does not have 3.3V output. Now connect like this.

1 - should connect to computers GND (ground) - black cable
4 - should connect to computers 3.3V - orange cable
5 - should connect to HDD TX
6 - should connect to HDD RX

The rest is as per guide in the first post of this topic.

Thank you all for everything. Our activity also wakened up Seagate from winter sleep ;) to provide us with fixed firmware. I dought it would happen that soon if not this community and especially some people work. Thank you all.

--

Great resource I have been using is http://pinouts.ru/. You can find pinouts for other phones too, but keep in mind that it can be that pinouts would be from mobile side, so for cable you should use reverse thinking ;)

Good luck :)
--
Posted Image

Edited by valdas, 25 January 2009 - 03:29 PM.

Anth

Anth

• 21 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Hi Chapin,

PM'd You Re phone data cable.

But look Valdas has done the same, with a different data cable too.

He also had to connect the +3.3v by the looks, where i only had to use rx tx. And it reads like he too swapped the rx tx lines over too.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
Checking an old Maxtor (300GB), I got:
- Burst rate: 114.3MB/sec (the drive is from 26/08/2004 !)

While a new Seagate (750GB) with SD1A I'm getting just 89.9MB/sec. o.O

I'm very disappointed.

Edit: A Seagate 300GB (also like 5yo) managed to get 96.9MB/sec ! A new 1TB (Seagate) with CC1F got just 98.8MB/sec.

The evidence:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by puntoMX, 24 January 2009 - 06:16 PM.

"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

chapin4life

chapin4life

• 21 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09
Valdas can you post some pics of your setup please

thanks

Edited by chapin4life, 23 January 2009 - 10:36 AM.

avinnc

avinnc

• 13 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Am I screwed???

This is what I get in Hyperterminal..... BTW, it's accompanied with the "click of death"!

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 25.907 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Edited by avinnc, 23 January 2009 - 12:58 PM.

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09

Am I screwed???

This is what I get in Hyperterminal..... BTW, it's accompanied with the "click of death"!

Error 1009 DETSEC 00006008
Spin Error
Elapsed Time 25.907 secs
R/W Status 2 R/W Error 84150180

Did you tried this:

F3 T>/2

and

F3 2>U (power on)

?

F3 2>Z (does power off on Spin motor).

If no good then a RMA is better.
"Two things are infinite: The Universe and Human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
Looks like HD Tune isn't compatible with those "new" drives for benchmark yet, so is unreliable.

I used HD Tach v3.0.4.0 and now I got this:

1k GB: 247.2MB/sec (Average read: 99.6MB/sec)
750GB: 244.4MB/sec (Average read: 91.1MB/sec)
300GB: 130.2MB/sec (Average read: 51.5MB/sec)

However, what worries me is the access time begin too high, on 1TB (fw CC1F) they're always above 15ms.

While all the rest (non 1TB), are always 12.5ms (max) !

Edited by Gradius2, 23 January 2009 - 03:08 PM.

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04
Need some help please :(

I've mounted a RS232 to TTL circuit connect the TX and RX to terminal and OK! I saw the: LED: 000000CC 00XXXXXX error.

So with the terminal open, I switched off the disk, removed just the screws near the engine and powered the board again.

I simply cannot get in terminal. There's no output and CTRL+Z don't do a thing under HyperTerminal. I really need help! :(

PS: Showing LED: 000000CC blabla means that my circuit is working, right?

Thx

Gradius2

Gradius2

IT Consultant

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined 16-January 09
If you cannot enter CMDs it means the TX (from PC) to RX (Seagate) is bad, verify the cables, double or triple check.

Keep in mind, for BSY errors, you need to disconnect the Spin motor, or the drive will enter in that state (in around 2 secs) after it occurs you cannot enter anything, not even CTRL+Z.

Just removing the screw(s) will not works, you need to isolate the contacts with something (I used a card paper).

Edited by Gradius2, 23 January 2009 - 06:22 PM.

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

If you cannot enter CMDs it means the TX (from PC) to RX (Seagate) is bad, verify the cables, double or triple check.

Keep in mind, for BSY errors, you need to disconnect the Spin motor, or the drive will enter in that state (in around 2 secs) after it occurs you cannot enter anything, not even CTRL+Z.

Just removing the screw(s) will not works, you need to isolate the contacts with something (I used a card paper).

It's possible to see the LED: 000000CC Error even with bad RX and TX?

I've made a Circuit with a MAX232N IC and 4x 1uF caps and 1x 10uF Cap.

Just a note: if I plug only the PCB, I got ST31000340AS AD14. The strange part is this. If the drive is BSY, is this correct? BIOS can detect the drive in this state?

Thanks.

kornut

kornut
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 23-January 09
ViniciusFerrao
Try Hyperterminal>File>Properties>Options check Keys Windows (something like, I have non-english Hyperterminal).

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

cefurkan

cefurkan
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 19-January 09

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's working!

Okay okay!

I don't even needed the s***ty RS232 to any s*** or whatever.

When I saw the desperate of null console I do something insane.

I have 2x ST31000340AS. So I swapped the PCB's and I let the hard disk head beat insanely. Ok...

Fired up the Seagate Firmware Utility to SD1A, and the update was done! Using the old board in the new disk.

Reswapped the PCB and when I boot the machine? ST31000340AS SD1A 1000Gb O.O

Disk is FIXED!!! I can't BELIEVE! Only with Firmware update from Seagate ;)

All my files are back online!

hey hey hey what did you do
i have a multiple harddisk as well

enrolb

enrolb
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 23-January 09
I am currently waiting on parts to attempt this procedure as I have a bricked 1Tb drive with the BSY stuck on. I was wondering if by disconnecting the PCB from HDA (or as some have suggested - putting in the card paper between PCB to HDA contacts) and then connect the PCB part of drive connected as usual (SATA, power etc) that the firmware could then be flashed with new SD1A firmware? or does the BSY signal still get stuck on? anyone try this?

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

I am currently waiting on parts to attempt this procedure as I have a bricked 1Tb drive with the BSY stuck on. I was wondering if by disconnecting the PCB from HDA (or as some have suggested - putting in the card paper between PCB to HDA contacts) and then connect the PCB part of drive connected as usual (SATA, power etc) that the firmware could then be flashed with new SD1A firmware? or does the BSY signal still get stuck on? anyone try this?

I have done this!

Since my RS232 to TTL isn't working I swapped PCB's with identical ST31000340AS and flashed the bad board on a new disk, and worked flawlessly.

[]'s

PhotoByMark

PhotoByMark
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-January 09
Great news! I was gonna try that but was not sure about it. Heck it is worth a try.

I think I will try this tomorrow ...

timha

timha

• 14 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Hey guys,

...its true the new fix is good...thanx Vinicius, i too was having issues with the hyperterminal....i dont reccomend for others to persue it...though at the time it was necessary as the firmware was not available....this is what i did as did Vinicius

1. swap pcb boards on 2 like hd's ...flash the bad pcb with the new SD1 firmware
2. swap back the pcb's
voila !! full recovery from bsy hd with no LB0.

mikusss

mikusss
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 24-January 09
Hello,

I have a quick question about the flashing - I am stuck on the Freedos screen, i.e. I guess that's because of SATA RAID/AHCI mode being set to RAID. Even if I disconnect all the other drives, it's still stuck.

I am afraid, that if I disable the SATA RAID/AHCI mode, it will delete the RAID settings too (the motherboard is Gigabyte GA-P35-S3R).

Have anyone tried this? Or the only solution is to use a different computer, or recreate the RAID drives after switching the AHCI and flashing?

If anyone managed to successfully do this some other way, please let me know.

BR,
Michal.

bp2411

bp2411
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 12-January 09
When I go into hyper terminal and press ctrl & z this comes up

F3 T>

then when I type

F3 T>/2 (enter)

this shows up and I cant do anything else

LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67
LED:000000CC FAddr:0025BF67

any ideas? does enter in brackets mean press enter?

thanks

TechnoFreek

TechnoFreek

• 12 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
I have two identical 3500320AS drives, one which is not detected in the bios. i have swapped the pcbs but the faulty one is still not detected even though it is connected to a good drive.

will this fix defo not work for drives that are not detected in the bios?

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

Hey guys,

...its true the new fix is good...thanx Vinicius, i too was having issues with the hyperterminal....i dont reccomend for others to persue it...though at the time it was necessary as the firmware was not available....this is what i did as did Vinicius

1. swap pcb boards on 2 like hd's ...flash the bad pcb with the new SD1 firmware
2. swap back the pcb's
voila !! full recovery from bsy hd with no LB0.

Hey! I'm very happy reading your post! So flashing the PCB with other drive really works!

Thanks for your feedback!

I have two identical 3500320AS drives, one which is not detected in the bios. i have swapped the pcbs but the faulty one is still not detected even though it is connected to a good drive.

will this fix defo not work for drives that are not detected in the bios?

If you wanna try fire up Firmware update utility in the bad board with the functional disk.

TechnoFreek

TechnoFreek

• 12 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
Vinicus

I try this but when i run the firmware update on the bad pcb/good drive i get an error something like "3500320AS expected"
the firmware update then stops and asks to power cycle.

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

Vinicus

I try this but when i run the firmware update on the bad pcb/good drive i get an error something like "3500320AS expected"
the firmware update then stops and asks to power cycle.

Is your drive detected on BIOS? It should be with 0Mb.

TechnoFreek

TechnoFreek

• 12 posts
  • Joined 18-January 09
some more details, the bad pcb/good drive is detected in the bios. although it hangs for ages at the bios.

the firmware then boots and when i select option A to update the firmware, it thinks about it for while and then returns the error message

error: specific model not found. st3500320as expected

all help appreciated Vinicus

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users