The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

Hey, for all the guys, like me, who have only com-ports as extension cards would this rs232-ttl converter work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-to-RS232-Module-Ba...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Here is the datasheet:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataSheets/DS_FT232BM.pdf

Site:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/FT232BM.htm

It will works as soon the IC is a FT232BM (on photo on eBay I read as B on IC, but on title he used BM/BL, perhaps the photo is old).

Gradius

Do anybody of you guys know what to do to recover from a ST3500320AS drive that worked and got killed by the SD1A update?

I lost my main and backup drive as the update just updated both drives the same time to death. :(

Some few people could recover from this state by downgrading the drive to AD14 but mostly not.

I just wonder if the downgrade to AD14 is a risk (besides that the old bug can occur again) But I really like to get my data back. :(

Thanks in advance

BR Robert

Do anybody of you guys know what to do to recover from a ST3500320AS drive that worked and got killed by the SD1A update?

I lost my main and backup drive as the update just updated both drives the same time to death. :(

Some few people could recover from this state by downgrading the drive to AD14 but mostly not.

I just wonder if the downgrade to AD14 is a risk (besides that the old bug can occur again) But I really like to get my data back. :(

Thanks in advance

BR Robert

I already answered in your topic.

Gradius

Hi. I hope you can use this data: ST3320613AS, P/N 9FZ162-300, FIrmware: SD11, Date Code: 08391; Site Code: TK. Many thanks for your commitment!

I'll be off for the next hours - it's 12:30am in Germany and I've to work tomorrow. Good night ;)

The last try is by doing the same thing as BSY step, but instead use the cmds from 0 LBA step.

It could be the motor or head is stuck so isn't able to write the new data on service sectors.

Update: This is rare to happen, but the same drive can have both symptoms (BSY and 0 LBA errors).

Gradius

Edited by puntoMX

Hmm, it's a 320GB. By entering S/N on Seagate's site, it appear as AFFECTED, or not?

Hi.

Do you mean this page: https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/ ? Well, when I entered S/N a few days ago it showed "Not Affected" - but there may are reasons why they deleted the serial checker :whistle:

The last try is by doing the same thing as BSY step, but instead use the cmds from 0 LBA step.

It could be the motor or head is stuck so isn't able to write the new data on service sectors.

Update: This is rare to happen, but the same drive can have both symptoms (BSY and 0 LBA errors).

Gradius

But if it's affected by both the BSY and the 0 LBA error, shouldn't the CC errorcode show up in HyperTerminal?

Edited by kadolf

So one more question, since i'm running Vista i don't have Hyperterminal, can I use any other Terminalsoftware? I have Putty will it work?

I used Realterm with Windows Server 2008, the terminal session works, so at least Realterm is going to work with Vista.

Edited by kadolf

Then go to Level 1 (by typing /1):

F3 T>/1 (enter)

Now lets do a S.M.A.R.T. erase (create S.M.A.R.T. sector):

F3 1>N1 (enter)

Now turn off (or power off) the drive. At this point I don't know yet if the drive power off alone after N1 command or not (I'm still need to order my RS232 to TTL adapter). So, I'll just mention that as "Power OFF/ON" process.

G-List Erase (cert the reserved cyl):

F3 T>i4,1,22 (enter)

For reference:

Level T 'i': Rev 0001.0000, Overlay, InitDefectList, i[DefectListSelect],[saveListOpt],[ValidKey]

Power OFF/ON

Partition regeneration:

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 (enter)

Now i'm just curious before I start working on the BSY fix for my drive, I wanna be clear about the BOLD parts above in the quote.

Since It seems as though Gradius2 was uncertain of the power off/on part. Do I just unplug the drive at this point, and then plug it back in right away?

It worked, the part about spin down is INDEED necessary, but is a hell of tricky!

I'll post some photos and the entire process on next msg.

F3 1>/T

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

Edited by Gradius2

Ok, the drives are 100%. :w00t::thumbup

I didn't loss anything, it went back to it were before BSY error (and I almost had a heart attack!).

This is a direct guide for BSY error, for details and more, check the 1st msg on this topic.

I received the stuff at 14:30h today as you can see here:

fix01.jpg

The one circled in red isn't necessary at all. In fact, is so tiny to connect those pins on Seagate, I was forced to give up on those plastics.

Here is the kit fully assembled it took me 20min, mounting those cables is really a pain:

fix02.jpg

Another angle:

fix03.jpg

With HDD connected (note I giving up on plastic connectores [circled in red on 1st photo):

fix04.jpg

The whole stuff complete to fire up:

fix05.jpg

And on this photo (above) is the TRICK here, see that little paper card (CR2032) ?

Yes! Just unscrew those around, and put a paper card or something to isolate the area (is the spin motor) like plastic, don't use anything that is an electric-conductor, after that you can turn ON everything.

You can work with just 1 screw, like on this photo (square in red):

fix06.jpg

On terminal you'll see nothing, just press CTRL+Z. And you'll get F3 T> prompt.

With PCB disconnected from HDA with a paper card (or similar), you'll see:

On terminal press CTRL+Z:

F3 T>

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.147 msecs

F3 2>

Wait 5sec and remove the paper card, this will connect the PCB to HDA (spin motor), but since is in Spin Down state (from cmd), you'll feel nothing.

Now screw just enough to make a good contact between PCB and HDA (be real careful here, don't drop the screw, just be calm, relax!).

Then press CTRL+Z again:

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

Elapsed Time 7.457 secs (if you get this msg you did everything fine until here)

F3 2>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/T

F3 T> <<< At this step you'll need to POWER OFF your HD for 10sec, and then POWER ON again. By power off, remove the SATA power (not PCB!).

When done, press CTRL+Z.

F3 T>

F3 T>i4,1,22

F3 T>

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 <<< This command takes a little over a minute to complete!

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 14, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 00C8

User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004339, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

F3 T>

You did it! Congratulations! :ph34r:

Just turn off everything, and put your HDD on your lovely PC. :thumbup

Keep in mind TX and RX from Seagate are exactly like that, but on Seagate side.

Connect it this way:

PC (TX) > RX on Seagate

PC (RX) > TX on Seagate

The wires was inverted to me and I didn't get nothing, so I just reverted and finally got a terminal answer.

Gradius

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/01.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/02.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...c/connector.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/05.jpg

http://www.kwikpiks.com/files/18/MSFN%20Se...%20topic/04.jpg

Edited by puntoMX

Hey all,

I have a "friend" from these boards coming over tomorrow with a bricked drive. I will get him to film the process and I'll post a video. It should make things much clearer to everyone as to the "power on/off", when and how long etc.

If you are unsure of what you are doing, STOP NOW and wait. It will be worth it.

Check back around 7PM MST Wednesday Jan 21st.

Thanks,

Fatlip

Edited by fatlip

Nobody has an idea what will help against my problem described in #56 ? I can't imagine it's a hardware fault.

It just won't regenerate the partition successfully...

Edited by kadolf

Nobody has an idea what will help against my problem described in #56 ? I can't imagine it's a hardware fault.

It just won't regenerate the partition successfully...

Connect the HD on terminal, you should be able to see which error is (if CC or not).

Gradius