Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SATA/RAID Drivers

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
Here's a tip I've come across. I assume SATA/RAID drivers use a *.sys file right?

What if you replaced an unneeded file on your Windows XP CD, for example pcmcia.sy_ (which would only be needed for a laptop), then copy over your own sys file and rename it to pcmcia.sys?

For example I have a Promise ATA133 PCI IDE controller that uses ultra.sys, rename that to pcmcia.sys and put it in the i386 directory.

Sorry I can't test it, because I'm not using that controller, but if anyone else is willing to try, let me know :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
NOt bad at all. I dont really understand how windows will detect it because we dont have pcmcia device. Also where I should put the driver files. Is there a folder called pcmcia or somthing. If you explain the way it should work I will give it a try. I got my raid working and I dont need to press F6 but your idea might be worth trying.

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
I think Windows Text-mode setup loads all of the drivers anyway without having to detect. (the bit straight after the F6 and F2 messages).

There's a file called pcmcia.sy_ in the i386 folder so delete that, then get your own sys file from your SATA/RAID driver package and rename that to pcmcia.sys ('makecab' it to change it to pcmcia.sy_) then put it in the i386 folder.

(if you used gosh's reducing size of source, you'll get a BOOT folder listing all the sys files for reference. If not, I can screenshot the contents if needed)

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
OK I have made a cab file now I will put it in i386 folder. But what with rest of the driver files? where they should go? And do I still need to press F6? Nah I didnt use gosh's guide. If you could provide further steps I will test it right away.

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
No F6, it should load your sata or raid driver from pcmcia.sys if it works. I wish I could test this but none of my PCs have a sata, raid or pci ide setup.

Maybe after New Year's (got a NYE party to prepare for!) I'll pop in my Promise ATA133 card in one of the other PCs and plug one of my HDDs to it.

I've never actually installed Windows XP to a HDD connected to a PCI IDE card, what happens when I don't install the drivers using F6? (just need to know for reference)

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
But SATA driver has few files more. Where should I put them?

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
What files are they?

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
I have cabbed them all and put in the i386 folder. When started installation I got message that pcmcia.sys was corrupted. Well no Luck :)
Other files:
Si3112r.mpd
SIISUPP.VXD
TxtSetup.oem
Si3112r.inf

Aaron

Aaron

The MSFN Banana

• Patrons
  • 5,767 posts
Leave them out for now, just cab the single sys file

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
I have tried it andeither way it says pcmcia.sys was corrupted.

gosh

gosh

gosh 2.0

• Patrons
  • 2,347 posts
As far as replacing an existing file, i would say don't do that for the following reasons:

1 - text mode verifies the file isn't corrupted by comparing the checksum in layout.inf, if you replace the file it won't match up.

2 - XP deletes ramdrive.sys because it's listed in syssetup.inf to be removed. For my ramdrive, i use ramdriv.sys. I assume the author named it this so xp wouldn't remove it. To avoid any conflicts like this, you'll want to use another name.

3 - If the file is digitally signed, you might get sfc errors or things like that.

-gosh

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
So it looks like the only one working solution for SATA raid is here http://www.nforcersh...opic.php?t=8892

Westi

Westi

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts

So it looks like the only one working solution for SATA raid is here http://www.nforcersh...opic.php?t=8892

There is a restriction in the "txtsetup.sif-mode":
If you want to use the recovery console (winnt32 /cmdcons) you have to copy your
controller drivers MANUALLY!!!

Happy New Year !
Posted Image

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
czaja74, I have the same raid SATA chipset as u on my AN7 and got it working by editing: hivesys.inf, txtsetup.sif, UNNATEND.txt/winnt.sif, and copying the drivers to i386 i did the method from http://forum.abit-us...ed&pagenumber=2 post by:Cpu6x4

You just need to change the registry changes in there like they are now in the reg currently for ur raid controller and change the file names to the current ones, i can send u my files if u want to use em of have a look at them.
Removed by admin - Read Forum Rules

--IM OUT

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
@ThA_FiLeR
That looks interesting. Sure I'm interested in these files. Could you bold inserted lines that would help me change my files.
Thanks .

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
Here ya go: (non-bold lines are ones u should be looking for to find the parts to add)

HIVESYS.INF

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aic78xx\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aic78xx\Parameters\PnpInterface","5",0x00010003,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r","ErrorControl",0x00000001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r","Group",0x00000002,"SCSI miniport"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r","Start",0x00000000,0
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r","Tag",0x00000021,33
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r","Type",0x00000001,1
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\si3112r\Parameters\PnpInterface","5",0x00000001,1

HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\aic78xx","EventMessageFile",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\System32\IoLogMsg.dll"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\aic78xx","TypesSupported",0x00010003,7
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\si3112r","EventMessageFile",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\IoLogMsg.dll"
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\si3112r","TypesSupported",0x00000007,7

TXTSETUP.SIF

aic78u2.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
aic78xx.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4
si3112r.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[SCSI.Load]
cpqarray = cpqarray.sys,4
atapi = atapi.sys,4
aha154x = aha154x.sys,4
sparrow = sparrow.sys,4
symc810 = symc810.sys,4
aic78xx = aic78xx.sys,4
Si3112r = Si3112r.sys,4

[SCSI]
sparrow = "Adaptec AHA-151X/AHA-152X/AIC-6X60 SCSI Adapter"
aha154x = "Adaptec AHA-154X/AHA-164X SCSI Host Adapter"
aic78xx = "Adaptec AHA-294X/AHA-394X/AIC-78XX SCSI Controller"
si3112r = "Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller for Windows XP"

Unnatended.TXT/winnt.sif should be pretty self explanatory, read the thread at abit forums and for which files u need to copy, i included both the files i posted parts from..

Attached Files

Removed by admin - Read Forum Rules

--IM OUT

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
Great, thanks a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN