Texas, Suffering from Seagateitis @ the moment

PhotoByMark

Hello,

Mark here from Texas.

Happened on to this site by way of the Seagate site looking for answers to why my Seagate Drive is giving the BIOS the silent treatment (BSY?).

This is the one site that had some great information on the Seagate drive thing. In fact, I have my RS232 to TTL adapter on its way.

Special Thanks to the OP - who posted all the great information and How-Tos on recovering the drive.

Have not spent much time browsing the other forums here but I will get to them.

Mark.

I had Seagateitis. :realmad:

Most Seagate HDDs I have just feel slow!

It started in May, 2005 when I gotten a Seagate Barracuda ST380013A 80 GB HDD. The HDD sometimes emitted a squeak when defragging and when I checked the SMART with Active SMART and HDD Inspector, they both expected HDD failure to be imminent, especially Active SMART, it reported June, 2005 being the expected failure when I got it on May 14, 2005! :realmad:

-> Thus, I returned it and got a Maxtor Diamond Max 9 model 6Y060P0 HDD on June 2, 2005 and that one is still healthy today, no signs of failure any time soon. B)

Before Seagate bought Maxtor, Maxtor HDDs rocked, at least the ones that are NOT the slim ones, which are known as the Diamond Max 8 series.

The 1999 Maxtor 91366U4 13 GB, which I purchased in late 1999, so far had no signs of failure, not even a slow spot that I could detect, even in 2008! (haven't checked it again in 2009)

It was put to major service, It was in a 486 (LOL) then a K6-2 450 Mhz system I got in December, 2000 and then my first Athlon, in July, 2001 and then used as a backup HDD since July 5, 2002

and it was also attached as the secondary with my first Athlon XP, on July 1, 2003 then after upgrading

(changed motherboard from Asus A7N266-VM/AA to Asus A7V8X-X)on November 6, 2003

and the same in August, 2004 (a processor and RAM upgrade on the Asus A7V8X-X)and then 2005, 2006 (upgraded to an Asus A7N8X-X) and 2007. B)

Edited by RJARRRPCGP