RAID 10 with 8 drives

I know how to build a RAID10 with four drives (two raid1 with two drives each in a raid 0) but not how with eight drives.

Are there more setups for a eight-disk-raid10? If so, which setup would you advise/suggest?

Thanks

RAID10 is always built the same way - a large RAID0 array where each part is made up of RAID1 arrays.

In your case, you'll just have 4 pairs of drives in RAID1, each of which becomes a member of the RAID0 array.

Oh, ok, perfect. Thanks!

I guess i stated that question because i always had problems distinguishing between raid0 and raid1. Thought that a max. of two drives is possible for raid0, as it is for raid1, is it? :)

As far as I know, no RAID controller will let you create a RAID1 array with more than two drives. RAID0 can have as many drives as your controller will support (there's no theoretical limit).

• 2 weeks later...

from what I gather on it when I had to look at this at work for our Sharepoint db,

it is a lot of wasted drive space since each disk has a mirror.

it is possible to lose more than 1 disk in the array if the failure is on 1 disk of the raid 1 mirrors, and remain online, however

if both disks on a raid 1 mirror dies then then whole raid10 array is lost.

I this case 8 disks would only give 4 disk of usable space.

In our Dell Storage array, we would just create a raid 1 set but keep adding disk pairs which automatically made it into raid10