Error lipstreaming KB954600 to Win2K SP4

honksu

Hi!

I am trying to lipstream all possible updates to Win2K SP4 but I have problem with this one update.

I tried to re download it but it didn't help. HFSLIP 1.7.8 fails to sliptream it(there is nothing on the log but windows update shows the update). The I tried HFSLIP 1.7.9_beta_d, build 81223 but when I tried to install Win2K from burned CD I get error about missing file: MMSYSTEM.DL_

I also tried to lipstream it with nLite 1.4.9.1 which gives error message:

KB954600 - Hotfix integration failed.

Please report if this is unexpected.

I have no idea why it doesn't integrate.

honksu - welcome to the forum. It's customary to post a zipped up hfslip.log file when you report errors. Q for you in the meantime, are you sure you have the correct exe file for the WMP that you have chosen? There's 3 different variations of WMP for W2K. You only need 954600 if you don't plan on installing WMP9 or WMS.

Hello again!

Sorry about the etiquette mistake. Here is the log file compressed to zip file.

I still have not found solution to this problem.

If I install KB954600 after installing windows everything goes fine but I want to integrate it.

It is needed even if I integrate WMP9.

To be sure about everything I only integrated only SP4 + IE6SP1 + DirectX 9.0C + those few updates needed my windows update to check out which updates are needed. KB954600 is on the list.

On the nLite forum they suggest that I have update for wrong windows but I have checked it too many times.

I though if it is possible to remove WMP 6.4 from windows installation with nLite and then integrate everything with HFSLIP.

nLite tells depencies so it might be possible...

Hopefully we can sort this out somehow.

HFSLIP.zip

Removed WMP6.4 with nLite and integrated everything with HFSLIP.

No I got error in windows install at the last screen at task 2. registering components.

It tells me that C:\Windows\INF\unregmp2.exe could not be found.

Luckily the error isn't fatal and the file isn't essential. That file has something to do with keeping up something in WMP.

Windows seems to boot up without error messages.

Let's see how it works...

Ummmm, hfslip needs to work with a clean source, not an nlite'd one. Sorry, I can't help much further, I can only recommend to you to read the instructions. You can nlite the sourcess folder afterward.

honksu posted this same question in the nLite discussion thread.

I responded after researching at MS ,torture that it is.

follow this link to get correct hotfix as they are OS specific

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms08-076.mspx

These are the files altered in the 2000 OS

Windows Media Player 6.4 for Windows 2000

File name File version File size Date Time Platform

Netlogon.dll 5.0.2195.7011 366,864 07-Apr-2005 20:24 x86

Sp3res.dll 5.0.2195.7151 6,276,608 29-Feb-2008 10:26 x86

Msv1_0.dll 5.0.2195.6926 125,200 07-Apr-2005 20:21 x86

Logagent.exe 4.1.0.3937 65,055 19-Jun-2008 12:39 x86

Strmdll.dll 4.1.0.3937 247,326 19-Jun-2008 11:28 x86

It seems as those the files are specific versions for each OS yet the the same KB# is used in every instance.

• 3 weeks later...

The OP has both because even with a slipstream of WMP9, Microsoft Update and Windows Update Agent both tell the user they need to install KB925398 and KB954600. Slipstreaming these updates resolves KB925398 but not KB954600. I just got done using HFSLIP on a Windows 2000 CD whose only customization prior was a slipstream of SP4. I was able to slipstream every other update, plus DX9 plus IE6 plus all the Microsoft Update cabs, etc., but this is the last update that remains.

I seem to remember something somewhere on these forums about a similar problem with a Windows XP update that had to be put in one of the other HFSLIP folders, but I can't remember which update it was and what folder it went into.

EDIT: It was either KB955839 or KB952069 and it went into HFSVCPACKS_SW1.

EDIT: Just tried the /quiet /norestart switches (which is what HFSVCPACK_SW1 is for) and I think everything went according to plan because I didn't get an error dialog about using unsupported switches. Going to restart the HFSLIP process and see if this is the trick. But it's time for bed, so it might be a while before I can confirm.

Edited by BrainwreckedTech

I can confirm now that this works. If you want to stop Windows/Microsoft Update and the Windows Update Agent from bugging you about KB954600 after slipstreaming WMP9 into a Windows 2000 installation CD, place the EXE into HFSVCPACK_SW1.

The major players of this community have been in contact, have shared information, and are on good terms. --FDV
Micrsoft is consolidating browser functionality into fewer files, like BROWSEUI.DLL, and SHDOCVW.DLL. Does that mean that their obsolete DLLs they no longer use don't get installed? HAHAHA! Um, NO. --FDV

*ahem*

When slipstreaming WMP9, all you're doing is putting WMP9's footprint over WMP6's. And like footprints in the mud, you're still going to have traces of the old footprint still in tact. Microsoft's update routines are picking up on some of the remaining traces of WMP6. Or at least that is my guess without pouring through the HFSLIP CMD file to see if it attempts to remove WMP6-8 files upon detecting a slipstream of WMP9.

BrainwreckedTech - Feel like running a science experiment? (I don't have time to run science projects.) Re-run hfslip with your current hotfixes/wmp9 but without kb954600. Once the image is installed into a VM, run the 954600 hotfix and see what files changed/added. This contents of this hotfix is unlike the rest of the hotfixes I've seen. I guess the files to closely examine are inside the extracted hotfix.

netlogon.dll

msv1_0.dll

logagent.exe

strmdll.dll

This contents of this hotfix is unlike the rest of the hotfixes I've seen.

Yes, that "generic_foo" folder structure is a little different, isn't it.

I think I can tell you what the answer to the rest is, too:

1. Forget about netlogon.dll -- it's the same as Update Rollup 1;
  2. Forget about msv1_0.dll -- it's also the same as Update Rollup 1;
  3. logagent.exe won't be put in system32, because version 9 should be there, but it will be put in the Program Files/... folder;
  4. strmdll.dll will be put in system32.

Sorry I have to ask a dumb Q, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say will be. Are you trying to say that logagent.exe should be copied to Program Files/Windows Media Player folder?

strmdll.dll should be copied to the system32 folder?

Aren't those files already copied there now? Or is the WMP9 slipstream overwriting things?