Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Daedalus Service - Alpha Blending Icons for NT4/2000

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 696 posts
Added a new version of Daedalus2 (0.0.5) that has a small enhancement, but one that will be very helpful for SmoothText 1.0.5 when it comes out.

http://www.mediafire...php?m2mutyymzyh

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave.Net

Dave.Net

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
I've been using the latest version for several days now but it looks pretty much the same as 0.0.3 to me. Old bugs still there.

Edited by Dave.Net, 29 March 2010 - 01:56 PM.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 696 posts
I'm doing some digging and it looks like I need to override DefMDIChildProcA/W to get MDI child window icons to render properly. When I override it in SmoothText the icons show up properly, but if I exit SmoothText and only have Daedalus running they get messed up like in your screen shot. Before I release SmoothText 1.0.5, I'll see if overriding it in Daedalus fixes the problem...I want to include Daedalus2 with SmoothText since 32-bit icons in SmoothText skins won't render properly without it.

I almost released SmoothText 1.0.5 last night, but I decided to do some taskbar testing and ran into one more showstopper. Still, it's nearly there. I typed up the change log last night and it's just huge.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 696 posts
I put Virtual PC 2007 on my Win2k box and installed Windows NT 4.0 on it. With this setup I was able to get Daedalus2 running on it. It was a problem with MMX/SSE/SSE2 support. Apparently NT4 doesn't like using those, so if you have NT4 it uses basic 80406 code instead of the MMX, etc. stuff. The only concern I have is that I'm not seeing Daedalus having any effect on my virtual NT4 installation. Would someone with a real NT4 installation mind testing it out?

I also added some code to trap DefMDiChildProcA/W, and this seems to fix title bar icons on MDI child windows.

The link to Daedalus2 0.0.6 is here:

http://www.mediafire...php?om2wydxv4wm

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 696 posts
Major OOPS! with the last version. Not only didn't I add MDI support properly, it actually broke the Services control panel applet so that you can't stop the service!

I've posted a new version 0.0.7 that has the bug fixed, and it includes instructions for stopping 0.0.6 so you can replace it.

Here is the link to version 0.0.7:

http://www.mediafire...php?zq1minhyume

And here are the 0.0.6 uninstall instructions:

To stop the 0.0.6 service, perform the following steps:

a. From the Start Menu, click Run...
b. Enter "cmd" and click Ok. A command prompt window will appear.
c. At the command prompt, type "net stop daedsrvc".
d. Now replace daedalus.dll in your Windows\System32 folder (or WINNT\System32 if that's the case).
e. The Services control panel plugin will be able to start. Start the Daedalus service normally. Optionally, type "net start daedsrvc" at the command prompt you already have open.

Edited by WildBill, 31 March 2010 - 10:56 PM.

Dave.Net

Dave.Net

• PipPip
  • 139 posts
I can confirm that the MDI bug is gone, but only for non-maximized child windows. As you know, every MAXIMIZED document window kinda merge its titlebar with the application's main menu bar, thus the document icon ends up next to "File.../ Edit / etc." Well, the problem is there now. The icon's background is just a dark square.

On a side note, I've been inspecting the random bug I mentioned earlier regarding taskbar buttons and found that the problem is actually related to those titlebars showing system icons (folders, My Computer, etc., not appz). Their alpha channels don't look completely right. Besides, some icons in the system tray (for example, Windows Update)need to be clicked on for their alpha channels to show up.

Thanks for all your hard work, WildBill.

Edited by Dave.Net, 04 April 2010 - 08:36 AM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
I tried to install it but nothing happen. Its this project in the wind?

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 696 posts
I've uploaded Daedalus2 0.0.8, which you'll need if you install my unofficial MS10-048 hotfix (which I'll be uplodaing momentarily -- see the Win2k forum for details). In addition to the security patch, my hotfix adds 32-bit icon support to win32k.sys and user32.dll. This will break compatibility with Daedalus 0.0.7, but it also means that Daedalus only has to worry about adding support to image lists which are in comctl32.dll. This version of Daedalus is still compatible with unpatched Windows installations and it checks the file version of user32.dll to decide if it has to add support to user32 as well as comctl32.

The link for Daedalus2 0.0.8 is here:

http://www.mediafire...d4efbda2zd2ddss

Edited by WildBill, 14 December 2010 - 07:50 PM.

PROBLEMCHYLD

PROBLEMCHYLD

The Resurrector for old Windows OS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Are you gonna upgrade this when you have some dedicated time?
I think it's interesting, and hate to see great things go to waste.

Believe God is the Alpha and Omega.
Believe Jesus Christ died for our sins.
Repent for your sins now or there will be
BLOOD

The Path to God

U98SESP3 03-11-2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN