• Auslogics Disk Defrag
    • DiskTrix UltimateDefrag
    • Sysinternals Contig / PageDefrag
    • JkDefrag
    • UltraDefrag
    • mst Defrag
    • Other
    • None

I vote for perfect disk (10) , much better than diskeeper than i precedently used !

I have also tested defragler, good for defrgmenting single files, but not as good as perfectdisk

For me the default windows defragmenter does a good enough job.

I think the defrag business is all smoke an mirrors. Show me some benchmarks where I would notice a difference and I'll change my tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeroen Kessels is king for me. JKdefrag runs at true 64 bit (in Win XP x64) and is ideal for large disks with large files. It is much faster, smarter and more thoughtful than the others. I've been using it since 2002 and the others pale in comparison.

I don't need a fancy interface, and I personally trust Jeroen. His forum speaks a thousand words of pure wisdom regarding Windows and harddisk usage. Last but not least, it's not so tough on SSD either.

• 2 months later...

i havnt defragged in years and now i have even less of a reason to do so.

i reinstall windows a cpl of times a year anyways.

all my data is stored on a linux server and its just backup.. who cares about defragging it, i dont need speed, it already transfers over 100mbps..

and my desktop just has my games/programs on it, nothing more.

and my desktop is raid0 and server raid6...

• 7 months later...

I voted for Disktrix' Ultimate Defrag. It is the best defragmentation software there is and here's why: All other defraggers usually only offer pre-defined sorting modes. While UD has those too, you can define your own additionally. This makes it the most powerful software there is.

For normal users I usually recommend Raxco's Perfect Disc and O&O, however, I was disappointed with their latest packages. They're bloated and offer little in terms of efficiency. Also, they suck defragging huge files on really cluttered up hard drives. I used them on a 300GB HDD before and they just gave up on the biggest files. Even worse, they sorted the files in a totally inefficient manner without giving me the option to influence that. Whoever remembers SpeedDisk from Norton Utilities for Win95 knows that this great program already offered personal sort options, so why can't these overpriced, bloated other software packages offer that?

Anyway, Disktrix has no problem with big files on almost filled up hard drives at all. I tested it on a 500GB HDD filled with 1GB+ sized files with a fragmentation degree of 85% and with about 5% of free space. It managed to defrag the hdd completely. Only a single file was left in 2 fragments. After seeing Raxco and O&O giving up on a much easier task, I was pretty impressed.

Furthermore, UD not just allows for personal sort orders, it also allows for special file placement to make use of a hard drives slow and fast parts. This is an essential option that no other defragger that I tried offered. Using this option, I was able to boost the boot up speed of a 6 year old Notebook with WinXP on it from 2 minutes to just 25 seconds (it has a very slow HDD). Add the fact that UD is one of the smallest and sleakest defraggers and you have a great program. It also supports boot time defrag, which is a rare feature and it allows for defragging the MFT, which is even rarer. Afaik, hardly any other tool does that.

Yes, UltimateDefrag is good, but if looking for an alternative, then the freeware MyDefrag(succesor of JkDefrag) is capable of doing nearly all the same things, e.g. optimize for the faster HDD area, defrag MFT and it even includes it's own scripting-language so as to allow the end-user to script just about anything he wants for the fileplacement operation...

Personally, then i still just use JkDefrag, as i don't have use for the new functionality and like using cmd parameters instead of inlcuding all the scriptfiles etc.

I preffer JkDefrag ower the built-in XP defragger, because JkDefrag is faster, automatic i.e. defrags all partitions and quits by default, does file-placement and can defrag big files etc.

Edited by Martin H

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From looking at it's feature-list, then it dosen't appear to support file-placement optimization(but does consolidate free-space however) and so based on that, then I would personally preffer MyDefrag over defraggler, but that's just my oppenion.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...