Boot Windows 7 from VHD - an amazing concept

spacesurfer

I don't use the DVD to boot. I've converted the WIM to a VHD with WIM2VHD and now I would like to check if there is an existing Os install like WinXP or WinVista. If such an OS is detected the Bootmanager should be updated to the Win7 Bootmanager so that I can add the VHD file. On Technet I only found a way to completely clean the partition :(

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

Does this mean we can setup a software raid 0 in windows, then install windows 7 to a vhd disk inside that software raid 0?

as of now its impossible to install windows to a windows software raid / dynamic disk setup

• 3 weeks later...
can this be done with all versions of win7? ie..home..pro..ultimate
Officially supported, no - but works, yes.
What do you mean with "Officially supported, no - but works, yes." ?

I have tested this:

• Vista's boot manager ("bootmgr") can not boot VHD installations
  • Any Windows 7 boot manager ("bootmgr") can boot VHD installations
  • Only Windows 7 Ultimate can be booted from VHDs

I have made an installation of "Windows 7 Home Premium" into a VHD.

Installation process works fine - two reboots.

Then: Username, computer name, keyword, product key, date and time, network, welcome screen ...

Then:

License Error

Booting from a VHD file is not supported on this system

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a question: I received the windows 7 upgrade DVD I did a clean install (rather then installing it over my vista installation), but what I for got was my blue ray drives codac was p reinstalled on the vista installation. Now what I want to do is make an Image of my Win7 install create a .VHD and put the image on that and save it to a flash disk then I want to run the HP vista restore disk (so I get all my stuff back) then I want to mount the VHD so I can boot off of it.

Will it work (I have 64bit 7 Home Premium)

• 2 months later...

When you have a bootable Windows 7 VHD installed on a Vista or Sever 2008 R2 primary host partition, and boot the Windows 7 VHD system; can it 'see' the host file system (Vista or Sever 2008 R2) on the primary (NTFS on bare metal) partition?

There are contradictory comments about this on several forums and blogs; neither I can find no definitive statement in the Microsoft documentation regarding whether the booted VHD system can see the primary boot/host partition (assuming there's only one), though it is clear it can 'see' other volumes...

:blink:

Edited by hoak

When you have a bootable Windows 7 VHD installed on a Vista or Sever 2008 R2 primary host partition, and boot the Windows 7 VHD system; can it 'see' the host file system (Vista or Sever 2008 R2) on the primary (NTFS on bare metal) partition?

There are contradictory comments about this on several forums and blogs; neither I can find no definitive statement in the Microsoft documentation regarding whether the booted VHD system can see the primary boot/host partition (assuming there's only one), though it is clear it can 'see' other volumes...

:blink:

Going by my own personal experience with installing W7 to, and running it from, a VHD, I can confirm that it will see the host partition's filesystem. However, it will see the virtual filesystem as C:/, I believe, if I recall correctly (I haven't actually used it that much), and the host partition as some other drive letter.