Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Boot Windows 7 from VHD - an amazing concept

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

like all other features, the VHD boot is controlled by licensing.

It is only licensed to Ultimate and Enterprise, only those 2 version have the Kernel-NativeVHDBoot Policy enabled.
Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

hack1vip

hack1vip
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 04-October 09
Thank you for sharing

epic

epic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Joined 13-January 05
Would be nice to see a tool that can do all this... drag and drop your VHD to boot (or a boot menu manager), set a VHD virtual drive, etc...

Edited by epic, 07 November 2009 - 04:46 AM.

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08
I have a question: I received the windows 7 upgrade DVD I did a clean install (rather then installing it over my vista installation), but what I for got was my blue ray drives codac was p reinstalled on the vista installation. Now what I want to do is make an Image of my Win7 install create a .VHD and put the image on that and save it to a flash disk then I want to run the HP vista restore disk (so I get all my stuff back) then I want to mount the VHD so I can boot off of it.

Will it work (I have 64bit 7 Home Premium)

unawave

unawave

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-September 09

Will it work (I have 64bit 7 Home Premium)

Home Premium can not boot out of VHD file.
Only Ultimate and Enterprise can boot out of VHD file.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

all versions are technically able to boot from VHD, but MS only licensed Enterprise/Ultimate to use this feature. When you try to use other Edtions, the Software License service won't allow you to use this feature.
Posted Image

helpdesk98

helpdesk98

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08
ok well that saved me some time I gess ill just make a backup of my windows 7 install and burn it to a disk and go back to Vista that way I have 7 if i decide to go back.

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
When you have a bootable Windows 7 VHD installed on a Vista or Sever 2008 R2 primary host partition, and boot the Windows 7 VHD system; can it 'see' the host file system (Vista or Sever 2008 R2) on the primary (NTFS on bare metal) partition?

There are contradictory comments about this on several forums and blogs; neither I can find no definitive statement in the Microsoft documentation regarding whether the booted VHD system can see the primary boot/host partition (assuming there's only one), though it is clear it can 'see' other volumes...

:blink:

Edited by hoak, 04 March 2010 - 05:54 AM.

Jake

Jake
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 11-April 09

When you have a bootable Windows 7 VHD installed on a Vista or Sever 2008 R2 primary host partition, and boot the Windows 7 VHD system; can it 'see' the host file system (Vista or Sever 2008 R2) on the primary (NTFS on bare metal) partition?

There are contradictory comments about this on several forums and blogs; neither I can find no definitive statement in the Microsoft documentation regarding whether the booted VHD system can see the primary boot/host partition (assuming there's only one), though it is clear it can 'see' other volumes...

:blink:

Going by my own personal experience with installing W7 to, and running it from, a VHD, I can confirm that it will see the host partition's filesystem. However, it will see the virtual filesystem as C:/, I believe, if I recall correctly (I haven't actually used it that much), and the host partition as some other drive letter.

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
Thanks Jake!

:)

hoak

hoak

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Joined 11-March 04
Does anyone know the minimum size fixed VHD that Windows 7 will install to? I'm about to try Mark Wilson's Legacy Boot Chain from Server 2003 on bare metal...

:huh:

CafeVincent

CafeVincent
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 05-July 07
So is this VHD boot method recommended only for testing or could/should I use it as a primary method of running Windows? I'm asking this because having Windows in a VHD file would make it very easy to do a fresh install. I would just need to install Windows once to a VHD and then make a backup copy. In my mind this sounds similar to Ghost images that you could directly boot into.

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
There are 2 features not available in VHD boot as far as I know: calculating the Windows Experience Index and hibernation. If these are important, than I recommend not.

Otherwise, it's all the same. Some people say there's a performance degradation but I've never seen that when beta testing.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

There are 2 features not available in VHD boot as far as I know: calculating the Windows Experience Index and hibernation. If these are important, than I recommend not.

missing hibernation is really a blocker why I don't use it for daily usage. My VHD installation is only used for VS2010 testings.
Posted Image

LittleRed

LittleRed
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 16-March 10
hello.. I am wanting to start with windows xp... can
you do the same thing with this os (boot the OS 7 from a VHD)
or does it only work with vista...?

Also is there any way to make a regular bootable 7 disk
from the backup disks made from the backup utility
on a Toshiba machine...?

Thanks for all your previous advice
you all have a great help... LittleRed

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

You can only boot Windows 7 from a VHD
Posted Image

unawave

unawave

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-September 09

You can only boot Windows 7 from a VHD

You can only boot Windows 7 Ultimate (or Enterprise) from a VHD.

I am wanting to start with windows xp... can you do the same thing with this os (boot the OS 7 from a VHD) or does it only work with vista...?

If you have Windows XP you can install Windows 7 Ultimate into a VHD.

Whilst the installation of Windows 7 the boot manager of Windows 7 will be copied into the Windows XP partition. The installation will also build a boot menu where you have the choice to boot "Earlier Windows version" (means XP) and "Windows 7".

LittleRed

LittleRed
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 16-March 10
Windows 7 Home Premium ...?

Also can you boot from VHD made from the backup 4 disk set created by the backup
utility from Toshiba machines...?

Edited by LittleRed, 21 March 2010 - 06:58 AM.

unawave

unawave

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-September 09

Windows 7 Home Premium ...?

See post #50:

I have made an installation of "Windows 7 Home Premium" into a VHD.
Installation process works fine - two reboots.
Then: Username, computer name, keyword, product key, date and time, network, welcome screen ...
Then:
License Error
Booting from a VHD file is not supported on this system

LittleRed

LittleRed
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 16-March 10
I thank you guys for all your help i will keep trying ...

Im sorry for not introducing myself i get preoccupied
sometimes .. If there is anything i can do for
anyone dont hesitate to ask...

LittleRed...

wower

wower
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 25-August 10
Being able to boot only win7 is useless,if it's able to boot other OSes,that would be more convenient for us :}

Edited by wower, 25 August 2010 - 08:30 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

you can boot other OS with this tool:

http://www.vmlite.co.../products/vboot
Posted Image

crashnburn4u

crashnburn4u

• 34 posts
  • Joined 04-August 10
When this VHD boots, except for the Virtual Hard Drive.. does it run inside a VM or is the OS, all its processes and other stuff actually running without a VM?

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 6,123 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Donator

booting from VHD is like normal native Windows 7/Server2008R2. The only different is, that the data are not stored on a partition. They are stored inside the VHD.
Posted Image

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
  • Joined 31-July 04
The OS data is not stored on a partition but is stored on a VHD.
Your other data can be stored anywhere, another partition or another drive.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users