Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Boot Windows 7 from VHD - an amazing concept

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,952 posts

Donator

to boot a Win8 VHD you need the Win8 bootloader, the  Win7 version causes errors.

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,243 posts

Thanks. An other remark; I left that Win7 VHD running for too long, it got bored and began to defrag my system partition!... So it's not as "interference free" as 1st thought.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,066 posts

Thanks. An other remark; I left that Win7 VHD running for too long, it got bored and began to defrag my system partition!... So it's not as "interference free" as 1st thought.

Well, that is your fault. :w00t:

Windows 7 booted from a VHD is in no way different from a Windows 7   booted from a "real" partition.

It will attempt to take possession of your PC (all your base are belong to us ;)), it is your duty - and you should know that by know - to keep it busy/entertained in such a way that it doesn't get bored and starts doing random maintenance tasks. :ph34r:

:lol:

jaclaz 

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,952 posts

Donator

upgrading a VM from Win7 to 8 doesn't work. You need to run the VHD inside a VM (hyper-V), here you can upgrade the VHD.

Posted Image

Ponch

Ponch

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,243 posts

More seriously, this caused one badly needed program in the resident Win7 to stop working at the time (this was a painfull monday morning at work, back from a week off :unsure: ). I then rolled back some video driver updates that I thought were the cause of my problem. I got a BSOD! Then an other, then popup messages about Explorer crashing. I ended up disabling the device in Bios (switchable video cards)...OK ! I later spent a few hours reinstalling it with lots of trials and lots of errors. I think the first cause was the Win7 performance toolkit being nuked by the external defrag. So kids, ... disable Defrag in your VHD ! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN