Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0x Final Release

erpdude8

M()zart, clearly you didn't read my post just above yours.

You are right, sorry. I've read your post, but forgot about it when was writing the answer.

But anyway, why not to use Win98 without IE and with Win95 shell? There is a 98lite app which do this. Or you may google Mindows and Nano98.

Linked here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#OS1

* Unofficial Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.0/2.1/2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) 1.01 installs ALL previously released Hotfixes, Patches + Updates (English, free):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=129504

- OSR2 SP1 1.01 Full [49 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1.EXE

- OSR2 SP1 1.01 Lite [25.7 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1L.EXE

HTH

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I installed the previous version on OSR2. After it was done I get a box every boot that windows is setting up the following items, but there's nothing listed.

Of course I installed it the day before 1.02 was released! :P So now I uninstalled 1.01, rebooted and installed 1.02. That popup is still there.

Another issue that's cropped up is Windows Explorer, and ONLY Windows Explorer, when maximized, goes partly off-screen to the lower-right. I don't know exactly when that started because I didn't maximize Explorer until after installing this service pack.

Yet another oddity is the Display Properties box is quite a bit wider than it should be, with extra empty space on its right side.

Looks like I need to reinstall from scratch on this Compaq Armada 7380DMT laptop.

-added ANSI editions of the ATL70.DLL, MFC70.DLL, MSVCP70.DLL & MSVCR70.DLL files

What do you mean by "ANSI editions" of these files? I know that only for ATL7x.dll there are ANSI editions not for other. If you want to get latest versions, you can take it from my Unofficial Visual C++ 7.x SP1 Redistribution Packs which i have updated several days ago.

I setup osr2 on VirtualPC 2007 then after installing the 1.02 version of this pack it would no longer connect to the net, couldn't get a DHCP assigned IP from the host, which is Vista Ultimate. Without the pack it works fine with IE 5.5 SP2 and Opera 9.64.

I setup osr2 on VirtualPC 2007 then after installing the 1.02 version of this pack it would no longer connect to the net, couldn't get a DHCP assigned IP from the host, which is Vista Ultimate. Without the pack it works fine with IE 5.5 SP2 and Opera 9.64.

hmm, are you dual-booting Win95 and Vista? also, what type of internet connection are you using?

(best to send me email or PM, bizzybody, if you want to help more quickly as I mentioned at the beginning of this topic)

Version 1.03 released. See first post on this updated release.

So far, MDGx has not posted version 1.02 of the OSR2 SP on his web site. He may as well post up version 1.03 instead.

Edited by erpdude8

Am doing various things, Got Vista Ultimate on a laptop, connected to the net via a wireless connection to an Actiontec router that nothing may be changed on.

Router's IP is 192.168.0.1

Running Windows 95b on Virtual PC 2007 on the Vista laptop.

Also running Windows 95b on a Compaq Armada 7380DMT connected to the Vista laptop's ethernet port through a 10/100 switch.

I *had* things working where I could be running VPC with a drive on the Compaq mapped and drag files directly from Vista and drop them *through* Virtual PC to the Compaq. Hooray and spiffy etc. Take that Vista-refusing-to-copy-anything-toWin95-over-network!

But something had screwed up how Windows Explorer on the Compaq, ONLY Windows Explorer, would maximize, and the Display Properties window had extra space on the right side. So I nuked and paved it, making sure NOT to install the old DirectX drivers I'm pretty certain caused those problems. If HP is going to take things off their site for old stuff, WTH don't they remove the *obsolete* software like drivers for DirectX prior to version 8?

I don't know if I'll install version 1.02 of the service pack on the Compaq. It's running fine and I have all the software it'll need burned to a CD-R.

I also found that the trick of editing the iesetup.cif (changing the UIVISIBLE=0 to 1) to force the IE5.5 installer to install the IE4 Desktop Update doesn't work. I checked the box and all I got out of it was a non-functional Start Menu, then I had to uninstall IE5.5 then install IE4 then IE5.5 to get the left pane back in Explorer. Might have something to do with it being a pre-hacked OEM copy. Installed from the options/cabs folder I saved, it creates a code exactly like the no-key install hack.

Haven't worked with Win95 in almost a decade, bringing back memories of all the *fun* things about it...

• 5 weeks later...
Someone please mirror most recent version to a decent host (preferrably european). 21kB/s download at usaupload is a joke - I had better speed back on dial-up. :(

no problem, Drugwash. MDGx suggested to me to upload the newest version of the OSR2 SP and any future versions of the 98fe SP at Megaupload.

Version 1.04 released. See first post on this forum topic for the links.

• 2 weeks later...
Because using the Win95 shell with Win98 opens a whole other can of worms.

This is the first time I've seen 98lite's main draw referred to negatively.

My 98micro system has been running 5 years without a shell conflict.

Edited by Session