Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0x Final Release

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

BenoitRen

BenoitRen

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
I'd think your problem is because of the buggy mess that is the IE4 desktop 'update'.
Using Windows 95 OSR 2.5
SeaMonkey - surfing the net has never been so suite
Posted ImageLight Blue Ribbon Campaign for Freedom of Skin

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Someone please mirror most recent version to a decent host (preferrably european). 21kB/s download at usaupload is a joke - I had better speed back on dial-up. :(

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Someone please mirror most recent version to a decent host (preferrably european). 21kB/s download at usaupload is a joke - I had better speed back on dial-up. :(

no problem, Drugwash. MDGx suggested to me to upload the newest version of the OSR2 SP and any future versions of the 98fe SP at Megaupload.

Version 1.04 released. See first post on this forum topic for the links.

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts
Thank you so much! Best wishes and keep up the good work! ;)

Session

Session

• 11 posts

Because using the Win95 shell with Win98 opens a whole other can of worms.

This is the first time I've seen 98lite's main draw referred to negatively.
My 98micro system has been running 5 years without a shell conflict.

Edited by Session, 06 July 2009 - 10:08 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

Because using the Win95 shell with Win98 opens a whole other can of worms.

This is the first time I've seen 98lite's main draw referred to negatively.
My 98micro system has been running 5 years without a shell conflict.

as long as you use apps that don't depend on functions from v4.72 of shell32.dll file.
the win95 shell is very anemic, weak and flawed nowadays since my old computers (intel celeron-based machines) can handle win98+ shells and more programs seem to require at least the win98/2000/me shell.

Edited by erpdude8, 21 May 2010 - 06:49 PM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts
Version 1.05 released. See very first post on this forum topic for the links.

Edited by erpdude8, 21 May 2010 - 06:54 PM.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
Links to current OSR2 SP1 editions:
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#OS1

* Unofficial Windows 95B/95C OSR 2.0/2.1/2.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1) 1.05 installs ALL previously released Hotfixes, Patches + Updates (English, free):
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=129504
- OSR2 SP1 1.05 Full [51.1 MB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1.EXE
- OSR2 SP1 1.05 Lite [27.8 MB]:
http://www.mdgx.com/spx/OSR2SP1L.EXE

HTH

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

changes for v1.05-

-updated WMP 6.4 package for the full osr2 service pack containing latest strmdll.dll security fix

FWIW, the latest W95 compatible versions was WMP 7.0.

Certainly, I'll have to try this SP on an old machine when I have the time. W95 is definitely much faster than W98 on such machines.

Joe.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Certainly, I'll have to try this SP on an old machine when I have the time. W95 is definitely much faster than W98 on such machines.

Joe.

It's possible to install WMP 7.1 using a special script and a couple of files from the 7.0 package.

Also the Windows Media 9 Codec Package for WMP 7 will install with only one error, an "Error registering OCX..." I don't remember the rest of it, Ill have to check again. But after that error it says it's installed successfully.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 18 December 2010 - 03:42 AM.

bristols

bristols

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Joe.

It's possible to install WMP 7.1 using a special script and a couple of files from the 7.0 package.

Also the Windows Media 9 Codec Package for WMP 7 will install with only one error, an "Error registering OCX..." I don't remember the rest of it, Ill have to check again. But after that error it says it's installed successfully.

As an off-topic aside, I'm interested to learn what advantage WMP7x has over 6.4 on Windows 95. Would either of you have anything to say on this? My only off-the-cuff idea would be about DVD playback, but I was under the impression that a simple registry fix can enable it in 6.4, too.

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

As an off-topic aside, I'm interested to learn what advantage WMP7x has over 6.4 on Windows 95. Would either of you have anything to say on this? My only off-the-cuff idea would be about DVD playback, but I was under the impression that a simple registry fix can enable it in 6.4, too.

Good question. However, I can't really answer, as I don't think I've ever actually used 6.4.

Joe.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Good question. However, I can't really answer, as I don't think I've ever actually used 6.4.

Joe.

Same here :}
I have always used WMP 7 or 7.1, even on 98SE. I don't like the way WMP9 looks, to much XP-Lego-Look for my taste.

I may install 6.4 in a VM and play with it if I get a chance.

For the record - I seem to remember a while back seeing an unofficial method for installing WMP9 on 98FE and possibly 95, but I can no longer find the relevant pages. Anyone else remember this? :unsure:

bristols

bristols

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

I may install 6.4 in a VM and play with it if I get a chance.

It would be good to know the outcome of your comparison. Please let us know in that event. :)

For the record - I seem to remember a while back seeing an unofficial method for installing WMP9 on 98FE and possibly 95, but I can no longer find the relevant pages. Anyone else remember this? :unsure:

I think this was based on erpdude8's work (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). In any case, MDGx (of course) hosts an unofficial WMP9 for 98 FE here:

http://www.mdgx.com/wmp.htm#WMP9

Direct download:

http://www.mdgx.com/spx/WMP90_98.EXE

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
As an aside, which is indirectly of interest to this thread, last night I managed for the first time ever, to use a USB Flash drive on W95B/C!

I downloaded the SR2 updates 'usbsupp.zip' and 'usbupd2.zip' (because I don't recall where I've put the relevant CD-ROM) and 'USBQFE.EXE' from MDGx's site, and Nathan Lineback's driver as mentioned in the following thread :
http://www.msfn.org/...vers-for-win95/

I installed the USB updates in turn, rebooting after each one. I noted the caution in the 'USBQFE.EXE' unofficial update to ensure the standard versions of the affected files were not re-installed, so when it came time to install 'w95usbflash11', I clicked on "Skip File" every time it asked for the CD-ROM.

After the final reboot, I connected a Flash drive, but nothing happened. So I manually installed a Lexar model at random from Nathan's driver, but still no joy. Then I checked in Device Manager and found the USB Controller was in the "Other" category, which effectively meant it was disabled. I assume it had been all along, which would explain why nothing happened initially. Deleting this caused a flurry of "Found New Hardware" activity, and at the end of it all, the USB Flash drive was working! Amazing!

Joe.

NothingMuchHereToSay

NothingMuchHereToSay

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
Is this project still alive, because I'm hoping that there will be another SP for Windows 95, I love that OS!

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

@erpdude8

I was wondering where you found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1113 that is contained in your USP?

I have been unable to turn up any KB articles or HotFixes that mention this particular version or what it was supposed to address :unsure:

I have found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1112 in the PCCARD Update (IIRC :unsure:) as well as on the Windows 95C CDROM, and I have found documentation that a v4.00.1114 exists in the Q282901 HotFix that no one seems to have, or be able to find, except Petr, who apparently had it at one time, but he has now disappeared :}

Edited by LoneCrusader, 06 May 2012 - 01:31 AM.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

Is this project still alive, because I'm hoping that there will be another SP for Windows 95, I love that OS!

yes the OSR2 SP project is still alive but except very infrequent or few updates to it. I may plan to release an updated service pack near the end of 2012 when I find time. when I do provide a new version of the SP, it will not be mentioned here in this topic. it will have a separate thread.

@erpdude8

I was wondering where you found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1113 that is contained in your USP?

I have been unable to turn up any KB articles or HotFixes that mention this particular version or what it was supposed to address :unsure:

I have found CONFIGMG.VXD v4.00.1112 in the PCCARD Update (IIRC :unsure:) as well as on the Windows 95C CDROM, and I have found documentation that a v4.00.1114 exists in the Q282901 HotFix that no one seems to have, or be able to find, except Petr, who apparently had it at one time, but he has now disappeared :}

Version 4.00.1114 of configmg.vxd file is available in Japanese language only and is NOT available in English language as I was told by MS. I don't remember exactly where I found build 1113 of the configmg.vxd file but I must have found it in an update package for certain old IBM laptop machines with pre-installed Win95 OSR2.x.

Edited by erpdude8, 08 May 2012 - 07:02 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

Version 4.00.1114 of configmg.vxd file is available in Japanese language only and is NOT available in English language as I was told by MS. I don't remember exactly where I found build 1113 of the configmg.vxd file but I must have found it in an update package for certain old IBM laptop machines with pre-installed Win95 OSR2.x.

It may only be available in Japanese currently, but it was available in English. (I have also contacted MS about it to no avail.)

Straight from the KB Article:

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name
---------------------------------------------------
02/06/2001 01:48p 4.00.1114 107,033 Configmg.vxd
02/06/2001 01:39p 4.00.1115 68,962 Ios.vxd

Petr apparently had it at one time, but he is no longer active here and I have been unable to contact him.

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• 2,139 posts

It may only be available in Japanese currently, but it was available in English. (I have also contacted MS about it to no avail.)

Straight from the KB Article:

The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:

Date Time Version Size File name
---------------------------------------------------
02/06/2001 01:48p 4.00.1114 107,033 Configmg.vxd
02/06/2001 01:39p 4.00.1115 68,962 Ios.vxd

only for a brief time Q282901 was available in english language but they've revoked it a long time ago due to unforeseen problems. Microsoft is NOT always correct in which languages they provide certain hotfixes when they mention them in certain KB articles. they have not always been consistent in that, LoneCrusader.

Petr apparently had it at one time, but he is no longer active here and I have been unable to contact him.

no, he did not have it in english. Petr didn't specficially state which language he has those updated files, so I'm not convinced that he has all those files in english language. if he did had the files from Q282901 in english, he would have told me & sent them to me a long time ago and I would have included them in the SP already - all which never did happen.

Edited by erpdude8, 10 May 2012 - 01:20 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

only for a brief time Q282901 was available in english language but they've revoked it a long time ago due to unforeseen problems. Microsoft is NOT always correct in which languages they provide certain hotfixes when they mention them in certain KB articles. they have not always been consistent in that, LoneCrusader.

Unforeseen Problems? Such as? What documentation do you have of this?

I am well aware of discrepancies in various KB articles, but, until I see documentation stating otherwise, I will accept Q282901 at face value.

no, he did not have it in english. Petr didn't specficially state which language he has those updated files, so I'm not convinced that he has all those files in english language. if he did had the files from Q282901 in english, he would have told me & sent them to me a long time ago and I would have included them in the SP already - all which never did happen.

Well, since Petr did not state that he didn't have the files in English, then I'm not convinced that he does not. :angrym:

If I were Petr, I wouldn't send you any HotFix that I had after the "less than courteous" way you reacted to his solving the Q312108 issue. You were blatantly incorrect, as I have now proven. :whistle:

ThetaEpsilon

ThetaEpsilon
  • 7 posts
Hi erpdude8, I really find this project useful.

But I was wondering, since you were able to make ANSI versions of some of the dlls if you could add a few missing functions to Kernel.dll? Specifically CreateWaitableTimerA which fmodex.dll uses.

I'm not sure if you are able to do that, but I thought I'd ask since I see you managed to add a few other dlls and ANSI versions of them.

Thank you for the SP Project! ;)

jds

jds

-DOS+

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Hi erpdude8, I really find this project useful.

But I was wondering, since you were able to make ANSI versions of some of the dlls if you could add a few missing functions to Kernel.dll? Specifically CreateWaitableTimerA which fmodex.dll uses.

I'm not sure if you are able to do that, but I thought I'd ask since I see you managed to add a few other dlls and ANSI versions of them.

Thank you for the SP Project! ;)

Since there is no KernelEx to extend W95, you might be able to stub missing function calls with jumper's Import Patcher : http://www.msfn.org/...dency-problems/

Joe.

ThetaEpsilon

ThetaEpsilon
  • 7 posts
I believe I found a bug. I decided to test this on another machine I had lying around (Compaq Persario SR1920NX).

After installing just the main updates with the program, Windows refuses to boot giving saying "VMM32.VXD is corrupted or cannot be found". A quick check shows that VMM32.vxd is present on the system.

I am not positive, but It might have something to do with the 2.1 Ghz patch, the CPU on the computer is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 2.2 GHz so its required to get Windows to install.

Edit: Oh and Thanks JDS for the other information, sorry for the late thanks as I forgot I had asked that months ago. :whistle:

Edit 2: Whoops, copied the wrong CPU. Fixed that.

Edited by ThetaEpsilon, 11 December 2012 - 06:25 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 799 posts

Donator

I believe I found a bug. I decided to test this on another machine I had lying around (Compaq Persario SR1920NX).

After installing just the main updates with the program, Windows refuses to boot giving saying "VMM32.VXD is corrupted or cannot be found". A quick check shows that VMM32.vxd is present on the system.

I am not positive, but It might have something to do with the 2.1 Ghz patch, the CPU on the computer is an Intel 2.66Ghz Celeron D so its required to get Windows to install.

Edit: Oh and Thanks JDS for the other information, sorry for the late thanks as I forgot I had asked that months ago. :whistle:

This package is incompatible with my FIX95CPU update. It rendered one of my test systems unbootable. I do not recommend using it.

These issues have been documented in the FIX95CPU thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN