Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0x Final Release

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

prowler

prowler

• 39 posts
  • Joined 18-July 10
All links are dead?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Try here -
http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#OS1
Bear in mind the above note on "Fix95CPU"... ALSO be aware of pitfalls for the USBSTR95. ;)

edit - relevant threads links given in above link...

Edited by submix8c, 21 April 2013 - 01:08 PM.

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
I've tried MDGx's links earlier too and they all fall to a 404 page. Either the site is in the process of being reorganized, or it's been hacked. :( Bear in mind MDGx hasn't been seen here in quite a while, if I'm not mistaken.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

Resistere pro causa resistentiam.

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

ALSO be aware of pitfalls for the USBSTR95. ;)

USBSTR95 is a little "disorganized" as it was left in a Beta state before PassingBy left us. :(

However, USBSTR95 contains the BEST CURRENTLY (PUBLICLY) AVAILABLE USB Storage Drivers for Windows 95.

I know this for a fact, because I have spent literally DAYS combing DriverGuide, old FTP servers, and the like searching for better drivers. I have even contacted the manufacturers of early USB Storage Devices (such as Phison and Apacer) and requested any older 95-compatible drivers they may have had (no luck here of course, all claim to have never supported it, despite some documentation I have found that claims otherwise... :unsure: ).

The only "issues" with USBSTR95 are 1)unnecessary files included, and 2)a later version of EjectUSB exists than the version in the full package.

The drivers themselves have limitations, but this it not the fault of USBSTR95 or PassingBy who created it.

Edited by LoneCrusader, 21 April 2013 - 01:27 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Well, I'll be flipped! Just used it Sep.12 last year. :(

I have them FWIW...

Google gives a website for the "full" one BUT it has "other" stuff so that's up to you (not giving link...).

Posted Image

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
I barely found OSR2SP1 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 Full on my HDDs, together with the other two. But USBSTR95 is dated back in December 2007 and FIX95CPU is from April 2010 - I wonder if those are the latest versions. :unsure:

I could host them at my repository, if needed, except maybe for the large package - not sure if I can upload it there.

Edited by Drugwash, 21 April 2013 - 02:08 PM.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
Yes, they are...

Posted Image

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

I've tried MDGx's links earlier too and they all fall to a 404 page. Either the site is in the process of being reorganized, or it's been hacked. :( Bear in mind MDGx hasn't been seen here in quite a while, if I'm not mistaken.

I have also been concerned about MDGx, he did not answer the last couple of emails I sent him (2 or 3 messages over a span of about a year) so we may need to look into making some kind of archives in case his site goes down... :ph34r:

I barely found OSR2SP1 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 Full on my HDDs, together with the other two. But USBSTR95 is dated back in December 2007 and FIX95CPU is from April 2010 - I wonder if those are the latest versions. :unsure:

I could host them at my repository, if needed, except maybe for the large package - not sure if I can upload it there.

The files inside FIX95CPU.ZIP should carry a date of 4/16/10, and the README should say "Version 2.0."

USBSTR95 was only issued in one version AFAIK, and 12/2007 is correct I believe.

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,371 posts
  • Joined 14-September 05
? I wonder what's going on?
http://www.mdgx.com/credits.htm
Bottom only says "©1996-2013" so MAYBE he's just very busy and revamping???
This one has an "Updated March 13, 2013" in it -
http://www.mdgx.com/31.htm
so... :unsure:

Posted Image

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Dates and version match. Here's the files:
FIX95CPU
USBSTR95
OSR2SP1 v1.0.5

Mirroring MDGx's site would be quite an endeavour, assuming there's still anything left there. I can't take on this task, as I have neither free space left, nor unlimited download quota or large bandwidth (GPRS modem 7.2Mbps connection, 5GB monthly download quota). :(

I really hope it's just a temporary quirk due to reorganization of files/pages, but in any case, we should have at least another backup, just for safety. Not to mention a lot of the resources are links to now dead MS pages/files since they may have not been redistributable or too large in size.

(added SP1 link - thanks LoneCrusader for the integrity check!)

Edited by Drugwash, 21 April 2013 - 03:54 PM.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Dates and version match. Here's the files:
FIX95CPU
USBSTR95
OSR2SP1 v1.0.5 (link should be available later if upload completes successfully)

Mirroring MDGx's site would be quite an endeavour, assuming there's still anything left there. I can't take on this task, as I have neither free space left, nor unlimited download quota or large bandwidth (GPRS modem 7.2Mbps connection, 5GB monthly download quota). :(

I really hope it's just a temporary quirk due to reorganization of files/pages, but in any case, we should have at least another backup, just for safety. Not to mention a lot of the resources are links to now dead MS pages/files since they may have not been redistributable or too large in size.

Thanks for hosting those files. :thumbup I will add the link to the FIX95CPU thread until we know what is going on.

I have thought about trying to make a backup of the website, but I have no experience with such things at all. :no:

We do need to hake some proactive steps though, just in case... and even many of those old, broken MS links are valuable now because some of them still work in the Wayback Machine and others may give the specific names of package files that could be lost otherwise...

Drugwash

Drugwash

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • Joined 21-June 06
Thanks, I do what I can. :blushing:
AFAIK, MDGx's site has some kind of safety mechanism that may block crawlers such as WinHTTrack. Haven't tried though, it may just work, but it'd take a lot of time and HDD space.

I don't trust WebArchive, too many times it's been throwing weird errors such as "the machine serving this file is momentarily down, please try later" or things like that, only for Win9x-related pages or files. That's too much of a coincidence, IMHO. :( And many other pages may just be automatically redirected to their current versions - that happened to me too, no matter what I tried.

Link to 1.0.5 package has been added above, please someone check it. Thank you.

LoneCrusader

LoneCrusader

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 819 posts
  • Joined 11-May 09

Donator

Link to 1.0.5 package has been added above, please someone check it. Thank you.

Done. It matches. :thumbup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users