Please help! My Media Center Can't find Extender (Xbox 360)

sux010

Hi,

I have having problems connecting my xbox 360 to my laptop through the media center. I have Vista.

It is telling me That It can't find extender and to check if the extender is on (yes it is), If firewall is rstricting (I even trid to turn off Firewall) and if the Upnp dicovery in on (yes it is).

The thing that is frustrating me the most is that my bro has the same laptop and we connect to the same network and trying from his worked. Could there be an update which he did not do? I use AVG as an antivirus program.

Also please note that I do find my Xbox 360 on network devices, so that's why I can't see what he problem is.

PLease help as I am getting nervous :realmad::rolleyes: If you need any more info ask me and I will try answer to my best knowledge.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunately, i had the exact same problem

i never found a solution. The xbox troubleshooting guides dont really help, and the problem isn't with my pc (all of the correct ports are open, sharing enabled etc). My networks fine, and i can find my xbox, i just cant connect to it.

if u find a solution somewhere else, can u post it here?

I've got gr8 news!!! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

I don't know how I found it but I managed to arrange it. well I know how and i'm gonna tell you.

Go on the map of the network and you will find your PC...not the extender but the pc you are using.

right click on it and click on manage

computer management comes up

click on Services and Applications

than on Services

a list comes up where you will find UPNP devise Host.

click on it and click on restart. Than everything took care of itself!!!

I'm so happy. If you need help just ask. Hope iut solves ur problem too. Let me know coz i'm excited i managed to solve it on my own :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

This is the most helpful information I have found on this subject, but sadly it still isn't working for me. I am not sure if I am missing a step or if there is something that I have to do after I click reset. Please help if you can. Thanks!!

Just to be sure, you are restarting (not reseting) right?

If you are it should adice you that it will restart another application (forgot which as I'm not home)

If still having problems state me what your problems and errors are and I will try help in any way I know.

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

I am having the same exact problem; thank you for the suggestion of restarting the UPNP Device Host; unfortunately this did not work for me.

I have been working on this for a few days now; here is what the situation is:

- XP Home, MCE

- Xbox 360

- Using a wireless router - Linksys WRT54G

- This has worked before - I have been using the Media Extender for about a year now; it just suddenly stopped working

- I have Norton Internet Security. I have added all of the required programs as exceptions (allow all); I have even gone as far as to uninstall the entire program and disable Windows Firewall and it still does not work (can't find an Xbox 360 on the network)

Any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!

• 1 month later...

Same problem here, and the suggestion above unfortunately did not work, here's what happens.

I got the 8-digit code off my 360 and wrote it down, i went onto media center and attempted to add an extender and get stopped at the same point as above, telling me to enable UPnP, make sure Xbox 360 is turned on and connected to network and make sure that that the setup key is correct, all of which I have done.

As above my Xbox 360 shows up in my network map as part of the same private network as my PC.

What is probably different about my setup is how my Xbox gets online...

Basically it goes like this: broadband modem connected to wireless router via ethernet, pc connected to wireless router via ethernet and Xbox 360 connected to wireless router via ethernet. The Xbox is much too far away to connect to the PC directly, and even if it did it only has one ethernet port so I wouldn't be able to go online with either device.

What annoys me is that even with everything filtering through this one wireless router via ethernet cables my PC is taunting me by including the Xbox 360 in the network map... why would it do that if I couldn't connect to it?!?

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem. I figured it out.

Go to the network and sharing center>

Click on view status>

Bottom left click properties>

Click continue when windows asks for permission>

Click the sharing tab at the top>

make sure to UNcheck Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

That fixed mine hope it helps you. I spent 2 days changing things around on my laptop to no avail. unchecked that one box and it popped up saying extender found.

• 5 months later...

I have been working on this problem for about 2 hours now.

I am not the most amazing computer person but i have been searching the internet and have done everything xbox has said to do, all ports are open, windows media player running. I can ping xbox from computer getting solid results but when i go to xbox and search for computer network works then computer doesn't, i leave it search for the thirty seconds and get nothing any tips?

Got vista home basic 2007 service pack 2

Just trying to get media center to work getting mad any help.

• 3 weeks later...
I had the same problem. I figured it out.

Go to the network and sharing center>

Click on view status>

Bottom left click properties>

Click continue when windows asks for permission>

Click the sharing tab at the top>

make sure to UNcheck Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.

That fixed mine hope it helps you. I spent 2 days changing things around on my laptop to no avail. unchecked that one box and it popped up saying extender found.

Thank You Matt!!!

After 3 hours of hitting the head against the wall, i came into your post!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm still having the same issue. Starting the uPnp service and disabling the "allow other users to connect through this connection" didn't work unfortunately.

I am noticing that when I go to "Media Streaming Options", the 360 is not listed on local networks, but only when I select "all networks".

I have checked the subnet masks and they both say the same thing, which I'm hoping means they're on the same subnet. I'm not sure what to do from here but I'll keep looking and post back when I figure it out.

ps - the 360 is wired and the laptop is wireless. It works fine when the laptop is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

Hello,

I'm still having the same issue. Starting the uPnp service and disabling the "allow other users to connect through this connection" didn't work unfortunately.

I am noticing that when I go to "Media Streaming Options", the 360 is not listed on local networks, but only when I select "all networks".

I have checked the subnet masks and they both say the same thing, which I'm hoping means they're on the same subnet. I'm not sure what to do from here but I'll keep looking and post back when I figure it out.

ps - the 360 is wired and the laptop is wireless. It works fine when the laptop is plugged into the router with an ethernet cable.

Im am also the same as you wired xbox and wireless pc my pc doesnt pick up my xbox at all was this ever resovled

• 1 month later...

Go on the map of the network and you will find your PC...not the extender but the pc you are using.

right click on it and click on manage

computer management comes up

click on Services and Applications

than on Services

a list comes up where you will find UPNP devise Host.

click on it and click on restart. Than everything took care of itself!!!

I'm so happy. If you need help just ask. Hope iut solves ur problem too. Let me know coz i'm excited i managed to solve it on my own :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thank you so much for this. I signed up for this site just to tell everyone that this solution worked for me. I spent hours going through every possible thing suggested on the internet and this worked. This solution should be added to Microsoft's site because it would solve a lot of people's headaches.