Unlocking terminal of Seagate ES.2 in BSY/LED:000000CC state

Here's what I discovered after many attempts in the last few nights.

Terminal of my 2 ES.2 drives was locked (drives were in BSY state) - every 3-4 seconds I received from their terminal message LED: 000000CC....

Standard solution which is widely known for 7200.11 series (ST******AS) doesn't work for locked ES.2 series (ST******NS) !!!

But i've found a way to unlock terminal of my ES.2 drives :) what allows then to repair hd in a standard way (solution from Yura/Okzo).

1. Disk has to be complete (PCB+rest together), NO isolation between the PCB and the rest

2. In the terminal you will see every few seconds message LED: 000000CC ...

3. between these messages you can unlock the terminal by pushing CTRL+Z. It will show a line: "F3 T>" and it will be Unlocked for about 1 second

4. During that 1 second when you see "F3 T>" message but before you receive next "LED:000000CC..." you must short two points shown in the following image (they are known as "read-channel").

92_1233671010.jpg

You must hold them short about 20-30 or little more seconds.

If you won't see next "LED:000000CC..." and disk will issue few unpleasant sounds then after some time you'll see in the terminal message "Input Command Eror".

Now the disk's terminal is unlocked!

Still holding those 2 pins short issue command /2 and then Z (they're cAsE sEnSiTiVe!).

When disk's engine will stop you will see message "Spin Down Complete" and now you can release the short between 2 pins.

Next do repair with standard instruction (as for 7200.11) - all below is cAsE sEnSiTiVe!:

F3 2>U

Spin Up Complete

F3 T3>/1

F3 1>N1

F3 1>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22

and wait until you'll get message

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

Good example (also extended) gave aviko, in post number 529 in topic # 128807

It is at: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry832876

I am a complete amateur (not DR professional), and of course, give no warranty for the described procedure.

It worked for me and my two ES.2 drives are alive now.

Of course, this procedure or the incorrect use might as well burn your disks and data.

I don't assume responsibility for such cases - everything you do at your own risk.

This procedure of ES.2' terminal unlocking is my own discovery, and I'd like to share this knowledge with other poor owners of bricked (in BSY state) ES.2 disks.

• 1 month later...

johnmar

First of all thank you very much!!! I reanimate my HDD and backup data from it!!!

Thank you! Thank you!

But I've been confused with picture. On my TFT I've only seen red square. And first day I tried short point in it. :blushing:

I make picture for those who experience same problemm.

TB6ANgRev1.jpg

A0SXkbiPT1.jpg

And I can't input /2 command when short that point.

When I enter in terminal after CTRL+Z I short and hold point 8-10sec while head to stop working.

Then release it. And after that input the command.

Thank you again!!!

Edited by dreamsat

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

What do you get more then: LED: 000000CC ?

Something like: http://www.irry.com/neo/bilder/temp/photoseagate.jpg ?

What sounds did your drives make? This one is like spinning up, spinning down, spinning up, spinning down, spinning up etc etc

EDIT: This page says to short on some other places. :blink:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?d...TrUrl=Translate

EDIT 2: That's the same picture I just noticed. But on the one here in the forum the original red square is retouched and moved...? :unsure:

Edited by NEO_AMiGA

...mkay... It was the newly marked red locations that i had to shorten. Took me several attempts. Tried the other location to. But like after the ten attempt the drive spun down. The terminal settled and I could issue those commands. Loads of odd letters and s*** in the terminal while typing though. Dunno why. But the disk is back and alive. Time to do some back up. Thanks a lot for the guide here!

I did not have to keep the circuit shortened after the drive had spinned down. Because it's a spin down that is the result of the shortening. It takes a while and you will hear some pretty disturbing sounds. Once the drive is down i released my paperclip and issued the commands in the terminal.

Thanks again. beers on me. :thumbup

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Thank you very much Johnmar. You are a life saver. All my daughters first year photos were nearly lost. With your instructions I got all my data back.

Dreamsat, Thank you for the photo. I shortcircuited the pins you specified and it worked like a charm.

I was struggling to get the FT > prompt in the hyper terminal earlier. I got a lot of information from the other thread to resolve the problems.

Dham

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have Seagate ES.2 1TB ST31000340NS and hyperterm send me every 60 seconds this message: LED:000000CC FAddr:0024BD19

I thing that I need unlock terminal but my PCB look little bit different.

1007483v.jpg

Please can anyone tell me which 2 pins must be short.

THX

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I have Seagate ES.2 1TB ST31000340NS and hyperterm send me every 60 seconds this message: LED:000000CC FAddr:0024BD19

I thing that I need unlock terminal but my PCB look little bit different.

Please can anyone tell me which 2 pins must be short.

THX

Hi, This is the unlock pins ... I was tested - successfully :)

1007483vupdate.jpg

Edited by rincon

• 1 month later...
4. During that 1 second when you see "F3 T>" message but before you receive next "LED:000000CC..." you must short two points shown in the following image (they are known as "read-channel").

92_1233671010.jpg

For my ES:2 I disconnected the heads at the moment you described.

I could accomplish this by loosing all screws around the head connector (at unpoweerd disc), tightending the head connector screw a bit, so that it gets contact again, making procedure like you described and instead of short cutting just quick opening the connector screw.

After spin down you can tighten the screw again.

Maybe better for people that have no solder equipemnt or another PCB revision.

Also the motor connector can be "disconnected" by unscrewing, if needed.

Regards

Stephan

Hi Guys,

Been a keen reader of this forum for some time, and finally joined up...

Got the same problem here with my 1TB 7200.11, and the response from the Terminal when connected is:

RST 0x20m
(P) SATA RESET
LED 000000CC FADDR: 0024CDC9

Now, i've looked at my PCB and it's different to both of which are posted here.

Could anyone kindly take a look and let me know which pins i need to be shorting out?

seagate_pcb.jpg

Many thanks,

Dean

• 1 month later...

I spent many hours trying to fix my ES:2 before finding this thread and realising our drives worked in a different way - arrgh! Anyway, I also tried the 'shorting the two points' method, but either I wasn't skilled enough to get the timing right, or I wasn't shorting the correct points! I then tried the 'disconnecting the heads' method below, and with a slight modification of the method, managed to get to the elusive 'F3 T>' command prompt at last! My method was to loosen then screws on the right hand side (as you look at the PCB with the SATA & power connectors at the top) around the head connector, and then hold the PCB down onto the head connector with my finger - as soon as the 'F3 T>' message appeared, I released my finger from the PCB, and with the right timing, this disconnected the heads (I found this easier than quickly opening the connector screw). Once you've got the 'F3 T>' prompt, you just follow the instructions available elsewhere in these threads (you can tighten the screws once you've got spin down)

Cheers

Damian

92_1233671010.jpg

For my ES:2 I disconnected the heads at the moment you described.

I could accomplish this by loosing all screws around the head connector (at unpoweerd disc), tightending the head connector screw a bit, so that it gets contact again, making procedure like you described and instead of short cutting just quick opening the connector screw.

After spin down you can tighten the screw again.

Maybe better for people that have no solder equipemnt or another PCB revision.

Also the motor connector can be "disconnected" by unscrewing, if needed.

Regards

Stephan

• 1 month later...