Unlocking terminal of Seagate ES.2 in BSY/LED:000000CC state

Hi, from a novice's point of view... what exactly did you use to short the two points? did you solder etc?

I think he just used a bent paperclip :whistle:

...unless johnmar was EXTREMELY fast in soldering:

4. During that 1 second when you see "F3 T>" message but before you receive next "LED:000000CC..." you must short two points shown in the following image (they are known as "read-channel").

and very, very, VERY fast in de-soldering:

You must hold them short about 20-30 or little more seconds.

The usual method is a pair of tweezers. ;)

Bent tip ones are handy for this:

142901.jpg

jaclaz

• 4 months later...

Hello,

You could tell me the complete procedure to revive a Barracuda ST3250310NS

thanks

Hi sadalmelik828,

You basicly follow the first post of this topic. What they do not tell you is you need a converter for Hyperterminal to talk to your disk. You can get more info on the converters in the thread on the 7200.11. See Read-me-first especially point 10&11 for info regarding converters. (Also the guide by CarterinCanada (link in READ-ME-FIRST)) Remember that that is a different procedure with different commands. Just read that to get a feel for the converter setup.

• 1 month later...

may thanks for this!!

it took me 2 hours to geht the input command error.. to get access..

i have the same es.2 as you johnmar

with normal points from you johnmar it didn't work after the LED-- error message ctrl+z nothing happened!

i had to short your 2 points and the other 2 from this translated page on post #4.. switched this points then the other 2 points.. and somehow it worked!

my litte brother made the commands in hyperterminal :D many times ctrl+z needed.. omg!

and now i have copied everything down big thanks for this guide!

p.s. never again seagate!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe nice bunnys :P

hmm ok "litte" is he not anymore he is 15 and im 25 hehe^^ and no he helps where he can ;) no nuisance^^

and hm.. ALONE it's not possible to do short pins and input commands..

i should go to the company where that guy said "600 - 800 euro" for data recovery... and laugh at him :P www.attingo.at ^^

Edited by mirkelam

• 4 weeks later...

Yeepy, done, no shortening on the pcb, i just loosened the screws as mentioned in the earlier posts, walla d done. Thanx to BlouBul for directing me to this thread, i had tried my ES.2 using the method for the 7200.11 but could not get into engineering mode.

What i did:

1) Got a CA-42 Nokia cable opened it up to see which pin is RX, TX and Ground tried the 7200.11 method, no success, but could do a loop back successfully.

2) Got a Nokia DKU-5 tried same as above, nothing could not even do a loop back.

3) Got a USB 232 Convertor (Garmin Cable 1.8m long), used pin 2 RX, 3 TX and 5 GND, could get loop back, first tried the 7200.11 method no results after CTRL+z, PM'd BlouBul who directed me to this thread, redid every thing but i got funny characters after CTRL+Z, resetup trying to see if grounding and insulation was a problem still same problem, just thought the cable was too long maybe thats why i was having the funny characters.

4) Got another CA-42 cable, setup everything, on first go, got in and everything sorted. Replugged hdd, works. Thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

Hi

I've got 2x ES.2 drives that were part of a Raid5 array that have this issue. after trying a usb ttl cable and having no luck I got a nokia CA-42 cable which after a little trial and error it worked and talked to the drive.

I intially got the LED: 000000CE... lines come up and eventually after fiddling again got the ctrl-z to work and did the slightly lift from head connector trick which also worked.

This is what happened next:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.155 msecs

F3 2>U

I didnt get a spin up or anything and now the drive just makes a ..... buzzz........buzzz......buzzz....noise rather than attempt to spin up with no communication with the terminal sw. both drives have done the same.

They are Barracuda ES.2 250GB - ST3250310NS

Can anyone help at all please, are they now totalled or is there any more tricks out there that might get me to progress with this?

Many Many Thanks in advance!

Please DO NOT EVER double post. :realmad:

I just replied to your post on the other (WRONG) thread.

I am re-posting the contents of that here:

Can anyone help at all please, are they now totalled or is there any more tricks out there that might get me to progress with this?

What you report is "queer". :unsure:

"Spin down" is a "normal" and NOT even potentially "destructive" one.

If you:

1. power off the drive
  2. completely remove the PCB from it.
  3. verify contacs between PCB and drive (which means visually inspecting BOTH contacts on the PCB and the "springy" ones on the HD - checking that no "springy thingy" is bent or "flattened", and clean them thoroughfully with an eraser -the one on a pencil will do - and clean them thoroughfully with isopropyl alcohol or similar solvent, acetone is OK, as long as you do use it carefully, parsimoniously and quickly)
  4. re-assemple fully hard disk and PCB
  5. try powering it again (without any connection BUT the actual power supply)

What happens? :blink:

Since your disks are ES2 you had to do the "short circuit" trick.

Is it possible that you short circuited "something else" or "also something else"? :ph34r:

jaclaz

PLEASE, let's continue here.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

oops sorry, wasnt sure where to post so went with the two best options :)

I've removed the board and taken a look and replaced, however this has happened to both drives I've done this with. The method I used was to lift from the head contacts as described in the thread rather than try the short. this appeared to work and the disk did do the spin down on command, but pressing U made it just buzz on its return. The fact this happened consistantly twice makes me believe the lift up trick is flawed in some way?

No, there is nothing "flawed" in the "lift".

It simply:

1. may apply to head contacts OR to motor contacts
  2. it does NOT apply (without the "short circuit" trick) to ES2 drives (according to the reports we had)

I have no actual "answers", for you unfortunately :(, only my common sense tellng me that:

• since everyone in an actual BSY or LBA0 on a ES2 drive HAD to short circuit the two pins to get access to terminal
  • since you did not need the above, then the situation of your dirves is NOT the one for which we do know a remedy

It is very possible that since your drives are 250 Gb we simply miss the "right" procedure or, if you prefer, there is for that model an additional "trick" we know nothing about.

I know that it may sound "queer" and/or "harsh" but all we know (which is very little) is a procedure to revive a given model (actually two of them) of drives suffering from two common problems due to a known firmware fault.

As hinted in the Read-me-first, point #1:

the known-to-be-working procedure is NOT a "solve-any-problem-you-might-have-with-an-HD", but, since it represents a sort of "reset" it may help also in solving problems due to "other" causes.

The "buzz-buzz" sound you hear may be caused by something else, like a stuck motor (quite common on modern drives), but it may also mean that somehow drive cannot read anymore "calibration data" or whatever.

Are you sure you didn't - by mistake - exchange the PCB's?

Can you "feel" the hard disk spinning?

See here:

Did you cycle power?

Can you now connect through terminal?

Can you try with the PCB fully connected to issue a "spin up" command?

Please do understand that you are - with all due respect - a blindman guided by (at the most) a short sighted one-eyed-man :ph34r::w00t:

Though:

Blessed are the one-eyed in the land of the blind

I may be blessed :unsure: what I suggest is not "real" knowledge but rather "some past experience" and may well lead you astray. :(

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for the advice.

The drives have since been taken to a data recovery company who have said that on "both" drives the heads had 'clamped' onto the platter and they can't do anything with them. I can only assume this model is different to the ones others have had success with then as quite simply all I got to do was:

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete

Elapsed Time 0.155 msecs

F3 2>U

So warning to people that Barracuda ES.2 250GB - ST3250310NS does not respond well to this procedure.

Cheers

Paul

Sorry, but I completely fail to see the point. :blink:

If you have a sore throat or a flu, normally you DO NOT set your left ankle in a plaster cast for 1 month.

This is because casting your left ankle is a solution/cure for a broken left ankle and NOT for the sore throat.

Not really a problem of the "cure" in itself, but rather of applying the cure to a different disease.

Whomever you took those drives to is DOUBTLY a "good" recovery company, drives with sticked heads can normally be recovered by doing a transplant or manually freeing the heads, and at least part of the data can usually be recovered.

Of course this is not "normal" data recovery and has very high costs, but normally it is doable.

If you have nothing to loose (and I mean NOTHING), in a very few cases "percussive maintenance" can free a stuck head, only don't think it will work, chances are very, very, and I mean VERY low.

If you think of it just like playing the lottery, you may win:

http://forum.hddguru.com/failed-amateur-diy-repair-seagate-barracuda-7200-t15326.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz