Unlocking terminal of Seagate ES.2 in BSY/LED:000000CC state

Hey..

My issue....

I have this ST31000340NS ES2 drive who was working well until as a test I did a pcb board and rom chip swap and tested it on an ST3750330NS ES2 drive, both have identical board no, but different revision, but ought to be compatible as long as I do the rom chip swap...

After this test ST31000340NS drive spins up clicks 11 times spins down..My humble hope, maybe its been stuck in busy state, not ruined by this silly swap attempt..

It show up after a while when pc initialize, but not detected by BIOS, and off course neither by Windows, SeaTools etc..

ES2 disks has as you sure know terminal lock so I cant enter any commands after hitting CTRL+Z and getting F3 T> prompt without unlocking terminal...

I've been shorting read channels, lifting board from HDA contacts as soon as I get F3 T> promp for days and hours,.but F3 T> will stand forever when I do this, but as soon as I go on and hit the command 2 + enter this "FlashLED - Failure Code 000000CC Failure Adress 0025c8af" pops up over 2 lines in Hyperterminal, and repeats itself every 60 second or so..

I'm stuck, and hopefully someone can give some advice..

You've ruined your drive in your haste to fix it...

On what grounds do you base this conclusion?...

Cant get this...The drive was working well before pcb swap...

As I wrote, both pcb boards ought to be compatible with each drive with a rom swap...

Even AceLab discuss this possibility...

Appendix 1. Replacement of the controller board

ATTENTION! ROM of the drives (ROM label is 25FW406A) contains adaptive information. Therefore, during

replacement of the controller board you have to move the ROM data from the damaged board to the donor one (resolder

the ROM chip from the damaged board to the borrowed one). Please see Figure 19.

Please keep in mind that if you need to restore a drive using a non-native controller board, the drive at the start

will be unable to access the firmware data on disk surface. That behaviour can be erroneously recognized as a problem

with the heads or reading channel, so please check carefully to ensure that the controller board matches the HDA. To do

that, you can even use a board disconnected from HDA, which returns HDD ID information via the ATA interface

anyway. Having read HDD ID, you can compare the model and its serial number to the information printed on HDA

label1.

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!

You can add another happy bunny to the list - I was able to resurrect my brother's drive that had been dead for a year!

All of the family photos on it are safe and sound, 10 years worth of pics!

I did it with a CA-42 from China and it was necessary to connect a battery to the cable. I used my Nokia N95 8Gb's battery (3,7v) and used the "lift the PCB" trick in stead of the short circuit one.

Thanks to all!

I succesfuly brought back to life two Barracuda ES.2's ST3500320NS PN: 9CA154-303. Firmware was SN05, upgraded them to SN06 after revival.

The short-circuit worked for me, but with a slight modification:

After issuing the command F3 1>N1 i had to restart the drive. Otherwise the drive did not accept the F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 command, all I was getting is "Invalid Diagnostic Command".

EDIT:

I used this tool instead of the nokia cable, it's safer and easier to use:

FT232BM/BL Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Firmware Fix tool, complete, USB powered

Edited by murfil

• 1 year later...

It's been ages since anyone posted on this topic. I pray someone still remembers about this.

I am trying to fix my ST31000340NS, which seems to be bricked in BSY state. I have connected it to a serial port and I get the message "FlashLED - Failure Code:000000cc Failure Address:0024a50d" about once every minute.

My problem is that I do not get a prompt. Loop back test shows my connection is OK.

Should the prompt show up easily by just hitting ctrl-z? I tried a couple of different terminal program to see if there is some remapping of codes.

Any ideas anyone?

//CD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi, thx for the info, i was able to recover my drive, however it was the seagate 7200 that was giving me those error codes, but i managed to unlock it using the short trick and found the similar spots on the 7200 PCB. So yah this method works for Seagate 7200 drives that are going through those error code loops.

• 7 months later...

I was able to build a UART connection for my ST31000340NS ES.2 Drive. I can get the F3 T> Promp to come up by pressing ctrl + z, but a CC error message comes up and blocks the terminal. I have tried to short the pins as mentioned in the earlier posts but I still am not having luck. Are there any other options to get into the terminal for ES.2 Drives?

I was able to build a UART connection for my ST31000340NS ES.2 Drive. I can get the F3 T> Promp to come up by pressing ctrl + z, but a CC error message comes up and blocks the terminal. I have tried to short the pins as mentioned in the earlier posts but I still am not having luck. Are there any other options to get into the terminal for ES.2 Drives?

Check, double check and triple check that you are shorting the right pins, then it is a matter of timing besides luck, see:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129551-unlocking-terminal-of-seagate-es2-in-bsyled000000cc-state/#entry944000

jaclaz

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody,

I have ES.2 ST3250310NS and problem with recognized in BIOS

I can run F3 T> but problem is when I send N1

could you look at that and give me some idea

F3 T>/2F3 2>ZSpin Down CompleteElapsed Time 9.423 secsF3 2>USpin Up CompleteElapsed Time 3.524 secsF3 2>/1F3 1>N1LED:000000CC FAddr:00246341LED:000000CC FAddr:00246341

thank you

It is possible that the N1 command is actually executed but the drive re-locks the terminal.

In the original instructions for the 7200.11 and on this post just above:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/129551-unlocking-terminal-of-seagate-es2-in-bsyled000000cc-state/page-2#entry990628

the drive NEEDS to be restarted after the N1 command, before re-accessing the terminal and issuing the F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 - maybe you can try that. :unsure:

jaclaz

Finally months after this problem occurring, last night I was able to get the drive working again. My catch was that I had to short the lower pins first (Listed on the outside link here:http://hddfix.ru/Stati/seagate_720011_ekspluatatsiya_i_remont/). Once I got the F3 T> prompt i then shorted the pins from post #1. I was then able to follow the steps listed in post #1 to get the drive out of BSY.

Before I was able to unlock the prompt I was getting LED:000000CE FAddr:XXXXXXXX errors when trying to issue "/2" and "Z" to spin the drive down. I just kept retrying until the prompt was unlocked.

Thanks for you guys help.