Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Unlocking terminal of Seagate ES.2 in BSY/LED:000000CC state

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

spamenigma

spamenigma
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-May 11
oops sorry, wasnt sure where to post so went with the two best options :)

I've removed the board and taken a look and replaced, however this has happened to both drives I've done this with. The method I used was to lift from the head contacts as described in the thread rather than try the short. this appeared to work and the disk did do the spin down on command, but pressing U made it just buzz on its return. The fact this happened consistantly twice makes me believe the lift up trick is flawed in some way?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,579 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
No, there is nothing "flawed" in the "lift".
It simply:
  • may apply to head contacts OR to motor contacts
  • it does NOT apply (without the "short circuit" trick) to ES2 drives (according to the reports we had)

I have no actual "answers", for you unfortunately :(, only my common sense tellng me that:
  • since everyone in an actual BSY or LBA0 on a ES2 drive HAD to short circuit the two pins to get access to terminal
  • since you did not need the above, then the situation of your dirves is NOT the one for which we do know a remedy

It is very possible that since your drives are 250 Gb we simply miss the "right" procedure or, if you prefer, there is for that model an additional "trick" we know nothing about.

I know that it may sound "queer" and/or "harsh" but all we know (which is very little) is a procedure to revive a given model (actually two of them) of drives suffering from two common problems due to a known firmware fault.

As hinted in the Read-me-first, point #1:
http://www.msfn.org/...-read-me-first/

the known-to-be-working procedure is NOT a "solve-any-problem-you-might-have-with-an-HD", but, since it represents a sort of "reset" it may help also in solving problems due to "other" causes.

The "buzz-buzz" sound you hear may be caused by something else, like a stuck motor (quite common on modern drives), but it may also mean that somehow drive cannot read anymore "calibration data" or whatever.

Are you sure you didn't - by mistake - exchange the PCB's?

Can you "feel" the hard disk spinning?

See here:
http://www.msfn.org/.../page__st__1213

Did you cycle power?

Can you now connect through terminal?

Can you try with the PCB fully connected to issue a "spin up" command?

Please do understand that you are - with all due respect - a blindman guided by (at the most) a short sighted one-eyed-man :ph34r: :w00t:
Though:

Blessed are the one-eyed in the land of the blind

I may be blessed :unsure: what I suggest is not "real" knowledge but rather "some past experience" and may well lead you astray. :(

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 28 May 2011 - 06:54 AM.

bilalkalil

bilalkalil
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-May 10
I have the same problem
100535537 REV B
seagate
st31000524as
firmware:jc45
What short pins ?
my imag

.My link

help

Attached Files

• Attached File  22.jpg   84.1KB   25 downloads

Edited by bilalkalil, 01 June 2011 - 07:34 AM.

spamenigma

spamenigma
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 26-May 11
Thanks for the advice.

The drives have since been taken to a data recovery company who have said that on "both" drives the heads had 'clamped' onto the platter and they can't do anything with them. I can only assume this model is different to the ones others have had success with then as quite simply all I got to do was:
F3 T>/2
F3 2>Z
Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 0.155 msecs
F3 2>U

So warning to people that Barracuda ES.2 250GB - ST3250310NS does not respond well to this procedure.

Cheers
Paul

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,579 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
Sorry, but I completely fail to see the point. :blink:

If you have a sore throat or a flu, normally you DO NOT set your left ankle in a plaster cast for 1 month.

This is because casting your left ankle is a solution/cure for a broken left ankle and NOT for the sore throat.

Not really a problem of the "cure" in itself, but rather of applying the cure to a different disease.

Whomever you took those drives to is DOUBTLY a "good" recovery company, drives with sticked heads can normally be recovered by doing a transplant or manually freeing the heads, and at least part of the data can usually be recovered.

Of course this is not "normal" data recovery and has very high costs, but normally it is doable.

If you have nothing to loose (and I mean NOTHING), in a very few cases "percussive maintenance" can free a stuck head, only don't think it will work, chances are very, very, and I mean VERY low.

If you think of it just like playing the lottery, you may win:
http://forum.hddguru...200-t15326.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 08 June 2011 - 10:23 AM.

Hicky

Hicky
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
Hey..
My issue....
I have this ST31000340NS ES2 drive who was working well until as a test I did a pcb board and rom chip swap and tested it on an ST3750330NS ES2 drive, both have identical board no, but different revision, but ought to be compatible as long as I do the rom chip swap...
After this test ST31000340NS drive spins up clicks 11 times spins down..My humble hope, maybe its been stuck in busy state, not ruined by this silly swap attempt..
It show up after a while when pc initialize, but not detected by BIOS, and off course neither by Windows, SeaTools etc..
ES2 disks has as you sure know terminal lock so I cant enter any commands after hitting CTRL+Z and getting F3 T> prompt without unlocking terminal...
I've been shorting read channels, lifting board from HDA contacts as soon as I get F3 T> promp for days and hours,.but F3 T> will stand forever when I do this, but as soon as I go on and hit the command 2 + enter this "FlashLED - Failure Code 000000CC Failure Adress 0025c8af" pops up over 2 lines in Hyperterminal, and repeats itself every 60 second or so..
I'm stuck, and hopefully someone can give some advice..

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,822 posts
  • Joined 18-September 03
You've ruined your drive in your haste to fix it...

Hicky

Hicky
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

You've ruined your drive in your haste to fix it...

On what grounds do you base this conclusion?...
Cant get this...The drive was working well before pcb swap...
As I wrote, both pcb boards ought to be compatible with each drive with a rom swap...

Even AceLab discuss this possibility...

Appendix 1. Replacement of the controller board
ATTENTION! ROM of the drives (ROM label is 25FW406A) contains adaptive information. Therefore, during
replacement of the controller board you have to move the ROM data from the damaged board to the donor one (resolder
the ROM chip from the damaged board to the borrowed one). Please see Figure 19.

Please keep in mind that if you need to restore a drive using a non-native controller board, the drive at the start
will be unable to access the firmware data on disk surface. That behaviour can be erroneously recognized as a problem
with the heads or reading channel, so please check carefully to ensure that the controller board matches the HDA. To do
that, you can even use a board disconnected from HDA, which returns HDD ID information via the ATA interface
anyway. Having read HDD ID, you can compare the model and its serial number to the information printed on HDA
label1.

martinlink

martinlink

• 17 posts
  • Joined 25-January 12
YAY!
You can add another happy bunny to the list - I was able to resurrect my brother's drive that had been dead for a year!
All of the family photos on it are safe and sound, 10 years worth of pics!

I did it with a CA-42 from China and it was necessary to connect a battery to the cable. I used my Nokia N95 8Gb's battery (3,7v) and used the "lift the PCB" trick in stead of the short circuit one.
Thanks to all!

murfil

murfil
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 30-November 11
I succesfuly brought back to life two Barracuda ES.2's ST3500320NS PN: 9CA154-303. Firmware was SN05, upgraded them to SN06 after revival.
The short-circuit worked for me, but with a slight modification:
After issuing the command F3 1>N1 i had to restart the drive. Otherwise the drive did not accept the F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22 command, all I was getting is "Invalid Diagnostic Command".

EDIT:
I used this tool instead of the nokia cable, it's safer and easier to use:
FT232BM/BL Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Firmware Fix tool, complete, USB powered

Edited by murfil, 18 February 2012 - 10:18 AM.

cdsweden

cdsweden
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 30-September 13

It's been ages since anyone posted on this topic. I pray someone still remembers about this.

I am trying to fix my ST31000340NS, which seems to be bricked in BSY state. I have connected it to a serial port and I get the message "FlashLED - Failure Code:000000cc Failure Address:0024a50d" about once every minute.

My problem is that I do not get a prompt. Loop back test shows my connection is OK.

Should the prompt show up easily by just hitting ctrl-z? I tried a couple of different terminal program to see if there is some remapping of codes.

Any ideas anyone?

//CD

n304r4

n304r4
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-October 13

i have problem
seagate baracuda 7200.12
v. ST3250318AS
firmware CC45

Init SMART Fail
LED:000000CC FAddr:0024E599

how to fix this ?

thank u

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,579 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

i have problem
seagate baracuda 7200.12
v. ST3250318AS
firmware CC45

Init SMART Fail
LED:000000CC FAddr:0024E599

how to fix this ?

thank u

AS is not NS (i.e. ES2 which this thread is about).

Check here:

http://www.msfn.org/...ate-720012-fix/

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users