Caching Windows Update files on server

expert01

The company I work for is having major issues with Windows Update. We service customer PC's and optimize new computers. Unfortunately, windows update takes about an hour for a new Vista SP1 computer (200MB of downloads).

So, I want to cache Windows Update files on our server. We can't use WSUS because they require modification to the customer PC. I've read alot about Squid, and while some people say it doesn't work, a lot of people say it does (by increasing the max cache file size) and the website mentions a fix for Windows Update caching.

So, anyone have experience with this situation?

Best option as above (gets them all; also burn to CD/DVD then input to PC). Only necessary once (or more times for/on each Patch Tuesday).

Alternate option (you only get what's needed for the PC in question, however) is MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer) from MS. Requires Intranet Connections (using e.g. the Server w/MBSA). Dunno about a "push" of the fixes (haven't tried that). Necessary for each PC in question each time (except fixes already downloaded stay on the Server PC). Tool is more useful in a Corporate environment.

Guess it depends on your need/intent (as far as you stated in paragraph one). Best bet for you is probably Autopatcher.