Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows version with best icon/graphic style

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Icon/graphic style (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Windows version has the best icon/graphic style in your opinion?

1. Windows 3.1 (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

2. Windows 95 (1 votes [2.70%])

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

3. Windows 98/ME (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

4. Windows 2000 (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

5. Windows XP (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

6. Windows Vista (7 votes [18.92%])

Percentage of vote: 18.92%

7. Voted Windows 7 (15 votes [40.54%])

Percentage of vote: 40.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote

flarn2006

flarn2006

Junior

• Pip
  • 57 posts
Mine's actually Windows 95, as I just like the 16-color Windows Classic style. I wonder how many people agree with me!

I just noticed that there was a separate subforum for polls. Please move! :)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Idontwantspam

Idontwantspam

Nerd-in-Chief

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
While I've been a big fan of Windows Classic for years, and always used it in XP and even Vista, I really like Windows 7's GUI. The icons, the windows... it's all very nice. Shiny. :)
-Idontwantspam

What's your home network like?
Windows 7: It does fancy!

Dblake1

Dblake1

Gamer/Programmer

• PipPip
  • 122 posts
Longhorn's icons are the best, in my opinion.
Windows 95: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
I voted for 3.1 because icons and style aren't important.

GL

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,812 posts

Donator

I chose Windows 2000. I seem to remember it being cool when it came out. I never really cared that much otherwise. I don't use icons on my desktop or anything.
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

finebbs

finebbs
  • 1 posts
Windows XP is the best

Edited by finebbs, 11 February 2009 - 11:14 AM.

spacesurfer

spacesurfer

Pharmassist

• Patrons
  • 1,668 posts
Windows 7

Edited by spacesurfer, 11 February 2009 - 12:50 PM.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 GHz, ASUS Radeon EAH3450 256 MB, 6 GB Corsair RAM, Maxtor 300 GB + Seagate 400 GB HDDs, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
IBM T42 Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Radeon Mobility 7500, 160 GB HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

leadboots5

leadboots5

Junior

• Pip
  • 64 posts
Windows XP, but i have yet to use windows 7 so im maybe not completely informed :)

awergh

awergh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
hmm maybe i should choose 2000 cause i like the classic style but i like newer icons from vista and win7

pm*

pm*

MSFN Patron

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
i like mostly the glossy transformation pack of following

vista & 7 for xp

Edited by pm*, 02 July 2009 - 02:02 AM.

beats

beats

Free cookies

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Windows XP, classic mode.
Building switchless installers and addons upon request for registered RyanVM.net and WinCert members.

woody.cool

woody.cool

• 38 posts
My choice isn't in that list :o

My favourite icon style is from Windows NT 4.0 (with the high colour icons enabled) .... these icons also appeared on Windows 95 if you install the Plus Pack and are in COOL.DLL from Windows 95 with Plus Pack or SHELL32.DLL from Windows NT 4.0

If I HAVE to chose something from that list, it'll be the ME/2000 icons, as I like the look of them far better than the 98 ones.

To be honest, the above choices need to be change from Windows 98/ME and Windows 2000 to Windows 98 and Windows ME/2000 as ME/200 had the same graphical style throughout (right from the Web view in Explorer down to the icons)

Edited by woody.cool, 08 October 2009 - 08:47 AM.

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

I loved the silver/blue feel to both Windows ME and Windows 2000.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Donator

I voted for Windows 98/ME, but that's only because Windows ME didn't have it's own category. I find it insulting to Windows ME users such as myself that we don't get our own category, when in fact Windows ME is closer to Windows 2000 in appearance (icons and menus and such), than it is to Windows 98. As a matter of fact, I hate that pile of steaming, unstable cr@p Windows 98, because it's the worst OS I ever used. Windows 2000 was a piece of junk too. Naysayers can kiss my Windows ME butt. (Sorry if this is rude, but I'm tired of all the Windows ME hatred and ignorance... didn't even get my own box to choose... so yeah, my anger is justified.)

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

I won't slam Windows ME, but I don't know how you could say Windows 2000 Professional was junk by comparison.  It was probably THE MOST STABLE version of Microsoft Windows ever produced.  SP3 onwars was quite mature and worked VERY WELL.  Whereas, I had lots of stability issues with ME on more than one machine.  I had good luck with it, but it's plain denial to say Windows ME was without serious issues.

Edited by JodyThornton, 24 November 2013 - 03:25 PM.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Donator

I don't care what the mob thinks, pal.

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Uh, I was trying to be friendly and definitely I'm not adheriong to mob mentality.  But are you saying that you'd even ignore Micorosoft's own admission that ME had problems?  I'm not saying don't be happy using it, but you seem really cheesed that other users had legitimate issues with the OS.  That's not the users' faults, is it?

ROTS

ROTS

• PipPip
  • 233 posts
ME graphics and sounds, but going further back, things seems decent enough. 98 is always a crowd pleaser, because it had all those themes. Of course 95 had Bob fedora GUI, which came in various HP or Compaq ( I forget which one ) machines. I remember those days when using the 95 machines felt like using the OSX machines, and was a magical experience. Windows XP was probably the most terrible in your face GUI, but it is more sustainable then Vista with the right tweaks. What I really would like to know who are the people who worked on most of the icons. Windows 7, 8, etc all feel lost.

LostInSpace2012

LostInSpace2012

-

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Donator

Sorry I was rude to you Jody T.... I was in a real bad mood yesterday.

You're points are correct. I shouldn't dismiss other folks legitimate grievances with Windows ME. Oh well... nothing I can do about that now.

I feel lost on newer stuff. I used "some" version of Office at a printing shop while doing a resume... couldn't figure out what the hieroglyphics did. I thought Word 6 on Windows 3.1 was sufficient. Maybe I'm behind the times.

JodyT

JodyT

• PipPip
  • 238 posts

Oh I get the gripes with Office.  See, I detest the ribbon interface, so I don't ever want to upgrade past my current Office 2003 installation.  Office 2007/2010/2013 leave me cold.  And the Office365 initiative is not attractive to me at all.

In fact, I would stay with Office 2003 if it weren't for security issues not being patched or maintained past April 2014.  I have a REALLY nice system right now 7 GB of RAM, XP x64 Edition and Office/Outlook 2003.  It works flawlessly.

You made me think of Word v6 with fond memories.  When I first used Windows 95, I ran Office v4.3 (16-bit) and used LFNs Now! to get long filenames to work with the old apps.  I miss those simple days.

RacerBG

RacerBG

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Vista is my choice. :)

banner-winxp-logo.gif

j7n

j7n

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
Windows 98/ME/2000 had the same icons. In addition from the base icons carried over from Win98, like computer, folder, explorer and desktop, ME had a range of new "multimedia" ones, like scanner and my pictures, following the very same style. ME and 2000 has more in common graphically than ME with 98. I prefer the 98's icons, but 2000's blue color scheme, and in particular the Tahoma font. MS Sans Serif looks rough and unfinished in comparison.

"Themes" are a distinctly separate product. But the 9x themes were alright too. One could easily tell what the objects represented on those icons were meant to be.

The XP style icons (including Office 2003) lacked definition, and were legible only on ultra sharp LCDs, which at the time when XP came out the majority of people didn't have.

Beginning with XP, icons also started to grow in unreasonable size wasting precious memory. Windows 98 had the largest icons as 48*48*256 (10 kB per icon), enough to display on the XP "tile" view. A large part of XP's shell32.dll is huge icons (30 kB), and some 3rd party applications like Nero had 256 pixel true color icons (512 kB for one icon), prompting UpdatePack.NL's "lite" releases to edit them out to keep the exectutable sizes in check. This nonsense was started by Windows XP and continued by Vista, which added support for those sizes. I suppose it is impossible to have photographic icons at low resolution, but I would argue that "drawn" style is most appropriate for an icon anyway.

This XP graphical refreshment, including blurred icons and the Luna theme, was the worst addition they made to Windows NT 5 (2000), which makes me reluctant to describe XP as the best system. A footnote seems required, describing that I am really talking about NT 5.

Windows Seven icons once again regained definition through darkened borders for most shapes. I've not looked at Windows Eight (2012) much. What I saw was totally flat. The system for some reason treats the screen as if it was a printed sheet, where only simple vector shapes can be output. But it will pass. Styles will change, and Metro will be rendered obsolete and denounced. Just wait and see.

Spoiler

Edited by j7n, 11 April 2014 - 12:13 PM.

Flasche

Flasche

A bottled message!!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Windows Me has amazing sounds, but I like vista's design. The eye candy possesses me :w00t:

Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings                                                                                           Quote (Me)

• seeker of truth                                                 "If you want to reach and discover the true meaning of order; You must go through chaos first."            344d0f9.jpg
  • follow no path                                 
  • all paths lead where
  • truth is here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN