Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Win98 TCP/IP down

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: My Win98 pc can ping IP addrs as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. But can not ping www.xxx.com, no web can be open (7 member(s) have cast votes)

My Win98 pc can ping IP addrs as xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. But can not ping www.xxx.com, no web can be open

1. (2 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

JNP

JNP
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Need helps from network experts:

In my Win98 system, IP address of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx can be ping, but URL address cannot reach. Is there any Win98 system file miss?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Sunil

Sunil

• PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Joined 24-June 03
Did you check and see if there are any settings specified in the IP config of tcp/ip

Tinker

Tinker

"TINKER til ya fix it"

• PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Joined 13-May 02
:) JNP, welcome to MSFN and please enjoy your stay....

Is your DNS set up correctly? Sounds to me like you are not using the DNS that should be provided by your ISP.

:rolleyes:

Posted Image

- - - - - - Adding is like Subtracting, only backwards ++++++

rik

rik

Veteran of the Psychic Wars

• PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03
Try putting the IP into the address bar instead of the URL and see if it will reach that way. If it does then your ISP is having DNS resolution issues.

(Off Topic)
Love the new avatar and sig there Tink...
*Toujours Pret*

Techzonez

un4given1

un4given1

Elaborate Dreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
Some networks block out ping replies. I know that in my router I can deny ping replies. Try to ping www.msn.com They do not allow ping replies. Yahoo used to allow ping replies to IP but deny through DNS (not that way anymore)
What if everything around you, isn't quite as it seems...
What if all the world you used to know, is an elaborate dream...
And if you look at your reflection, Is that all you want to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks, Would you find yourself... find yourself afraid to see?

JNP

JNP
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 01-January 04
Thanks everybody! :rolleyes:

At last I found the answer by restore my Win98 registy file with the command of scanreg /restore. When the system goes back to earlier setting, everything normal. :)

After that I trace the difference between those settings. Finally I found the driver of NetCard do not work normally with Win98. Now I need to replace another NetCard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN