Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Need Help with Intel SATA/RAID Driver

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
Hello Guys, :rolleyes:

EDIT: Easier Question
What can i do that unattended setup will actually load a driver from diskette when i press F6 instead of telling me that the files could not be copied from drive A:\
I need an answer, please!!

i have got one **** problem with my unattended Windows XP CD.

I had a fine working unattended CD, then i got a new HDD and was forced to use the Intel 82801ER SATA RAID Controller, which is onboard my Gigabyte GA8-KNXP. I downloaded the Driverdisk for OS Installation from the GB homepage and started including them in my unattended cd using guides found in this forum (could not find one directly matching my iaStor.sys driver)

My problem is that whatever i do Windows setup will tell me:
\$OEM$\iaStor.sys could not be loaded.
Error Code 18. 
Setup Cannot Continue. Press any key to reboot.
I tried putting the drivers (iaStor.sys, iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat) in the OEM\Textmode (and also in the $OEM$ root) folder and adding the appropriate entries to WINNT.SIF, listed below, which results in the error message above:
[MassStorageDrivers]
"Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"="OEM"
"IDE CD-ROM (ATAPI 1.2)/PCI IDE Controller"="RETAIL"

[OEMBootFiles]
iaStor.sys
iaStor.inf
iaStor.cat
(txtsetup.oem is NOT included on that CD but setup also shows an error message about some line parsing errors in that file or so, but setup will continue)

Ok, then i tried the method with TXTSETUP.sif by adding the lines below and copy the driver files to the I386 folder, once extracted and once "cabbed" with makecab
[SourceDisksFiles]
iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[SCSI.LOAD]
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor = "Intel(R) 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"
This was resulting in the same error message (i think there must be something wrong with these lines, but can't guess what). Even if i want to install the driver via F6 it says it can't be copied from A:\. This sux, i want to have my windows on my new SATA drive :)

So now I kindly ask if anyone could tell me how to fix this problem or look a bit closer at the drivers and my WINNT.SIF.

Thanks
[mx]

Attached Files

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

czaja74

czaja74

• PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Joined 28-August 02
Welcome to the club. I guess you have Xp with all hotfixes and so on. Yes I have same problem. However If you use last method make sure you copy iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1 under every [SourceDisksFiles] (I think there are 3 of them). I was able to put My SATA driver on the CD and didn't have to press F6 but I just had unattended installation. I mean that I didn't have and hotfixes slipstreamed. It was just XP and answer file winnt.sif. This is the only way to have unattended installation. I think one of the hotfxes causes problem. The most simple solution is to install clean XP on your hdd , but I guess it is not that you wanted. So take XP with slipstreamed SP1 or SP1a and create an answer file (winnt.sif), make needed folders on CD and burn it. As soon as you slipstream hotfixes it will NOT like winnt.sif file and ignore it + cause problems with driver installation.

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
so you say [SourceDisksFiles] is there three times? DOH! :) I will try this it out immediately.

The hotfixes aren't really slipstreamed, i've put them in i386\update folder and run them via svcpack.inf

So far, i hope revising my [SourceDisksFiles] section will help. thanks anyway.

....and it didn't work. Still says "Can't load $OEM$\iaStor.sys". Someone please verify if those lines are correct for iaStor in txtsetup.sif:

[code=auto:0]
[SourceDisksFiles]
iaStor.sys = 1,,,,,,_x,4,1

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&CC_0104 = "iaStor"

[SCSI.LOAD]
iaStor = iaStor.sys,4

[SCSI]
iaStor = "Intel® 82801ER SATA RAID Controller"

or can you please send me your txtsetup.sif etc. files which are working for your iaStor?

Thx

Edited by mx2k, 01 January 2004 - 04:12 PM.

big poppa pump

big poppa pump

Damn Newbies!!

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 10-September 03
Your txtsetup.sif file looks fine to me. Check the following and see if you done that:-

1) Do you have the drivers for the RAID controller under \$Oem\$1\ ?

2) Have you set the path for the above RAID drivers in oempnpdriverspath in winnt.sif?

3) Have you copied the iaStor.sys to the I386 directory?

DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR Expert || Opty 165 CCBBE 0610DPMW @ 3.01Ghz (335*9) - 1.52V, TT Big Typhoon w/120mm Panaflo
2 x G.SKILL F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ || BBA Radeon 1900XTX || X-Mystique DD 5.1 with/ Pioneer THX 1015TX
2*74GB Raptors - Raid 0 || 2*300GB Seagate 7200.9 NCQ SATA-II || 4*Hitachi 500GB 7K500 || Mad Dog Triple Format DL DVD+/-RW/DVD-Ram
OCZ GameXstream 700W || CM Stacker STC-01 || 2 * Dell 2405FPW

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
Have done all of that:

- Drivers are under $OEM$\$1\Drivers\07_SATA
- Drivers\07_SATA added to OemPnPDrivers=
- iaStor.sys is in the i386 directory

- also copied it to the $OEM$ root cause of the strange path in the errormessage ($OEM$\iastore.sys).

but still getting error code 18. $OEM$\iastore.sys could not be loaded. tomorrow i will create a clean xpcd with no sp or hotfixes in it and check if that works.

or could the INF file in $OEM$\$1\Drivers\07_SATA be causing problems?

p.s. which version/package of the drivers did you use? the ~7Mb full package or only the ~200k os install package?

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
have created a clean xp cd, with only iaStor.sys in OEM and I386 folder, modified txtsetup.sif and placed winnt.sif which is resulting in the same error message as before. this drives me nuts soon :) there must be some freakin mistake in my txtsetup.sif or anything else i can't figure out.... think i must contact intel support about this...

If anyone has an URL to an post/guide discussing loading of iaStor.sys in textmode plase post it here!

rustycaps

rustycaps

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
Are you actually using RAID why you need to use the Intel SATA drivers? I've also got an 8KNXP, with a 36Gb WD Raptor mapped to PM (have tried endless times running as sata0 but doesn't work properly - unless I need another method), which works perfectly fine as far as installing to and booting off after file copy (unlike when running as SATA0). As far as I know XP will install to a sata drive without any problems, as long as it's setup right in the BIOS and that, so it can be booted off, like how I had to do it for mine.

I did try dual-booting with a normal IDE drive as PM, and having the WD drive as sata0, but it had that annoying 10-15 sec delay after selection at dual-boot menu, and boot.ini had some {signature 08df80988g} think for XP on sata option.

Basically all I have for my install to work off sata is the BIOS configured with Intel ATA as first boot in SCSI boot order (then ITE RAID/SIL sata controller, as use both of them), and have main boot order to cd-rom/SCSI/HDD-0 (as sata boot drive is mapped to PM, which most OS take to being HDD-0 I guess). The only problem with this is that the sata drive shows up as only ATA/100 (as mapped to PM, but still goes reasonably well), but having the ITE RAID drivers and Sil copy over in the $oem$ folder, I can boot up and have all my drives showing up straight away.

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
nice, tried already out to map as PM, but the Intel will tell me some kind of error message after driver detection or when i enter bios: "_ERROR_DRIVE_UNSUPPORTET_" or something like that. Any ideas?

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
[sourcediskfiles] is there three times, you only need to add it once. Whatever compiles inf files, makes sure that all the entries in a section are together, nomatter how many times that section appears. This cant be the problem

JoJa15

JoJa15

• 11 posts
  • Joined 31-December 03
I had this same problem with my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 board. I followed all the guides I could find noteably this one:

http://www.nforcersh...opic.php?t=8892

It did not work. What finally worked was me moving my $OEM$ folder from the root of the CD to under the I386 folder. Once I moved it there it worked fine. Maybe you could try that and see if it works. I have no idea how it effects the rest of the install because I stopped at that point and started working on unattended application installing and hotfixes/SP slipstreaming. Since then I have been doing my testing on VirtualPC so I have not had a chance to test the SATA drivers on my actual machine. I have been using XPCREATE for the application/hotfix/SP unattended CD and it places the $OEM$ folder in the root of the CD. It will be interesting to see if I can get the SATA/RAID drivers to work with this configuration.

- John

mx2k

mx2k

• 11 posts
  • Joined 29-December 03
i found a solution for my problem: BLAME gigabyte they had f****in bugs in the F8 bios....with new one you can map SATA to IDE so setup don't even need intel drivers.

[mx]

rustycaps

rustycaps

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
I just noticed that error of yours when I updated (briefly) to F8 last night, where, if I mapped sata to PM, it would come up with the Intel SATA RAID 3.5 BIOS, then have a IPM_UNSUPPORTED_HARDWARE error or something, but not boot.

I'm back on F5 now, which is the original this board came with, and you say that F9 fixes that problem now? Just had a look @ g/b site and mentions F9 fixes the "sata raid can't disable option", so will download and try it out.

rustycaps

rustycaps

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 22-November 03
I don't know what happened, even tried new formatted floppy, but when the BIOS tried to read the F9 it stopped part way, so back to F5 again now, so won't worry about that for now.... did F9 work for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users