Motherboard and Processor reccomendation anyone?

buck614

I built all of my computers myself. I am very experienced with building and configuring computers.

I just am not sure which motherboard is going to give me the best compliment to the AMD Athlon XP. Did some of these boards make a chipset designed to interface with the AMD. I know ASUS made a board designed exclusively for the AMD Athlon. However that was a while ago and it probably isn't competitive with what has come out since.

Read the thread xp processors http://xp.modrica.com/forum/showthread.php...=&threadid=2419

ne way a Xp processor uses the same chip core, code named Palomino which can be found in Athlon 4 notebook chips. It is supposed to use about 20% less power then the original Athlons and has 3DNow professional which adds 52 new 3D and multimedia instructions which makes it compatible with Intels SSE instructions.

I use a shuttle AK31 v3.1 mobo for my xp1800+

the best thing u can do once you decide on what cpu is to check reviews on boards :

decide what ram u want..DDR/sdram etc( how much does this board support)

whether or not u want a raid board, does it have enough pci/agp etc slots

does it support agp x4

and always look for a board that is easily upgradeable

the list goes on my friend, sort out what u want in a mobo and then look for reviews on boards similar to ur requirements

i agree with EL1TE, an yep, get DDR ram. i think, judging by the system you are building buck, you are going to be impressed with its performance! the way things are going now, with intel trying to own the RAM market (currently theres only 2 makers of RDR ram, intel own the copywright to it) eventually there will be two very different types of PC.

it will be Mac , ibm, and PC all over again.... but:

Intel (everything inside it is lisenced by intel, designed by intel, and owned by intel),

AMD (mass market where any company has the right to make and inovate in new technology)

Mac errm.. lets not go there :)

maybe thats an extreme vision, but if intel had thier way you bet they would have it like that, they are the Microsoft of hardware, and you wonder why they have their head up Bill Gates a**!

Ok, I would be willing to go with RDRAM if it really makes that much of a difference.

My problem is, I have been EVERYWHERE and I can't find anywhere that reviews motherboards designed for the AMD Athlon or AMD Atlon XP. You would think that it would be easier, but I can't find out what chipset is best.

What about the KT333 chipset. Is out out and included in some currently available boards? If not, should I wait for it?

Ok, I would be willing to go with RDRAM if it really makes that much of a difference.

My problem is, I have been EVERYWHERE and I can't find anywhere that reviews motherboards designed for the AMD Athlon or AMD Atlon XP. You would think that it would be easier, but I can't find out what chipset is best.

What about the KT333 chipset. Is out out and included in some currently available boards? If not, should I wait for it?

buck614, have you checked http://www.athlonxp.com ?

It is mostly dedicated to the AMD processors but they have lots of other stuff too, whats compatible with Athlon XP? Reviews and much more :)

Enjoy my friend :cool:

BLACKWAR

my fave: http://www.tomshardware.com/

also DDR (double data rate) for AMD chips. intel own RDR type ram, dont expect to see it on amd boards lol.

you can however get some boards that take an intel chip, and DDR ram though, but intel are suing the manufacturers of some of these boards.

it gets more complicated doesent it, you wont be asking again then.. serves you right! :rolleyes:

hope we have helped u decide buck, one of the fun bits of building a new system is the planning and waiting for it all to arrive, bit like xmas but without the inlaws :)

im thinking about the MSI KT3 Ultra, what you guys think to it? anyone read any reviews on it?

comes with lots of kit too, USB2, firewire etc

http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q1...0/kt333-03.html

sorry not trying to take over your thread buck, just im doing the same thing as you at the moment! been buying fans and round IDE leads today.. looking for more things to flex my plastic on :)