Free Software List 2009 - 2014

DigeratiPrime

Here's an older registry cleaner program that maybe some newer people didn't know about. I believe Fred Langa ... from his old column years ago, recommended EasyCleaner as a very safe registry cleaner for a novice to use. It is older, not updated since 2006 but it works and is much more than just a registry cleaner. A lot in this program ... it's free but listed as only for Windows 95/NT/98/Me/2000/XP. However, Major Geeks says "Windows All" so it is misleading going beyond Windows XP ... maybe it works, maybe not. Probably a registry backup with ERUNT would be in order before trying it out.

EasyCleaner 2.0 by Toni Arts

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easycleaner.html

EasyCleaner is a small program which searches Windows' registry for entries that are pointing nowhere. Deleting these entries will speed your computer up. But as you already might know, deleting entries from registry can be dangerous for your computer, so it is wise to make a backup of your registry. On my computer, deleting entries which were pointing nowhere, speeded my computer up! EasyCleaner also lets you delete all kinds of unnecessary files like temps, backups etc. You can search for duplicate files and you can view some intresting info about your disk space usage! ToniArts may not be held accountable in any way if EasyCleaner affects your computer in a negative way. here's a list of some features:

# Finds invalid registry entries - deleting them speeds up your computer up to 20%!

# Finds duplicate files - deleting them will free disk space!

# Finds all unnecessary files like backups, temps etc.

# Very user friendly!

# Shows some intresting info about your disk space usage.

# Very customizable.

# Uses only little amount of recources while running!

# Huge help file which gives you every little detail about EasyCleaner!

# And much more...

also this site ... but it only lists up to XP as working.

ToniArts EasyCleaner

http://download.cnet.com/ToniArts-EasyCleaner/3000-2094_4-10529179.html

EasyCleaner is a small program that searches through Windows registry for entries that are pointing nowhere. EasyCleaner also lets you delete all kinds of unnecessary files like temps and backups. You can search for duplicate files and you can view some intresting info about your disk space usage. You are also able to manage startup programs, invalid shortcuts, and add/remove software list.

@duffy98

Thanks for the info duffy on EasyCleaner, I can confirm that it does not work with Win8/8.1 (to bad) anyway, I have been using

Registry Recycler Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1, Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)

which does a good job and also will do a registry back-up as well..

DP :whistle:

http://www.registryrecycler.com/faq.html

DosProbie ... Registry Recycler seems to be a nice little program. I tried the portable version and it worked just fine on XP. I see the last update on Nov 1st included Windows 8.1 compatibilty.

Changelog

Registry Recycler 0.9.2.6 - 1st November, 2013

* Extended Uninstall Entries category scanning

* Added auto Shutdown and Restart settings

* Updated White List

* Minor GUI improvements

* Resolved ownership issue when scanning some registry keys

* Added Windows 8.1 compatibility

So everybody has a program to use. I mentioned EasyCleaner since it will work with Windows XP and older but Registry Recycler will do a registry defrag.

thanks ...

Registry Recycler Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1, Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 (32-bit and 64-bit)

which does a good job and also will do a registry back-up as well..

thanks for sharing Registry Recycler, !! yes, it did a good job on my system as well. Seems quite quick and Easy to use, fast action. Din't saw any improvments with defrag tool but startup managment feature has , i think effectively reduced the time it takes to startup Windows.

• 2 months later...

Was looking for a free password generator to have on my computer to use anytime ... there are plenty of online generators but there doesn't seem to be many to download and have ready to use. I found one two years ago but I can't seem to find it on any of my old software CDs / Dvds ... still have some to go through.

However, I found this free one a few days ago and it seems to be very good ... for anyone also interested.

Secure Password Generator

http://www.securityxploded.com/secure-password-generator.php

Secure Password Generator is is a free desktop based tool to quickly generate strong & secure password.

Secure Password Generator helps you to create strong password using one or more of the following character sets

* Uppercase Letters (A-Z)

* Lowercase Letters (a-z)

* Numbers (0-9)

* Special Symbols ($,#, ?, *, & etc)

It is very easy to use with a nice GUI interface. You can generate password of length ranging from 5 to 500 characters.

Also being a offline tool makes it easy to use anytime anywhere without internet connectivity.

It is fully portable tool and includes Installer also. It works on both 32 bit & 64 bit platforms starting from Windows XP to Windows 8.

.... forgot to add this earlier ... one thing that I did not like is that when you start this program it tries to connect to the internet as many newly installed programs do today. I have an older version of Zone Alarm installed ... firewall only and that also works great with XP and it stopped it from connecting back home. I suppose if a person is only using the Windows XP firewall that allows outgoing connections ... they wouldn't know this is happening. I set ZA to "not allow" this and other programs to connect unless I give the OK. That could be a draw back if you don't have a firewall that blocks outgoing connections or at least give you a warning. I still think the program seems good and I am using it ... just not letting it connect to the outside, there is no need for it to do so anyway ... it works just fine and I don't need it to be checking for updates or whatever.

Edited by monroe

• 1 month later...

Came across this multimedia player that is also portable. I have not tried it but the latest version is dated May 08 2014 (1.6.47450) and still list Windows 9x along with XP. I have several media players already but I may try out the portable version. I never heard of this player but since they still list Windows 9x in 2014, I thought I should mention it. I will take their word that it works on Windows 9x systems, since I am on XP these days.

Additional: Not sure about this portable version ... have tried to download it twice and nothing seems to be in my download folder, not the complete download. I have never seen a portable ZIP download work like this before. The regular download seems to be OK ... just a heads up on the portable download ... I will not be fooling around with it anymore.

Additional (05-13-20140

I did find this working portable version today ... Daum PotPlayer (Portable) v1.5.39659

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/media_players/daum_potplayer_portable.cfm

Daum PotPlayer 1.6.47450 Beta

http://codecpack.co/download/PotPlayer.html

System requirements: 9x/Me/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/7/8

PotPlayer is a fast and lightweight multimedia player that supports most popular audio and video formats and can be customized with more than 300 skins. Typically, PotPlayer runs smoothly and the CPU usage is kept to minimum. It can play HEVC, WMA, MP3, OGG, AIF, MPEG, VOB, AC3, DTS, ASX, PLS, WAX, ASF, WMA, WMV, AVI, MP4, SWF, MOV, QT, FLV and other formats. Additional features include high quality playback, built-in DXVA video codecs, subtitles support, live broadcasting, video capture, skins and just about everything else you`d expect from a multimedia player. If VideoLan or MPC-HC cannot play your video or sound file, give PotPlayer a try. It has built in support for most video and audio formats, and does not require any third party software whatsoever to work. Overall, PotPlayer is a must-have application for its ability to open just about any type of video file you throw at it. Daum PotPlayer is a continual work in progress – keep an eye out for new features as the developers continue to make PotPlayer the best media player available.

Edited by monroe

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The "Giveaway of the Day" today (Aug 05) is a Windows cleaner of sorts ... may be good, may not be ... I usually look for what others post about similar free programs. There are several alternative programs mentioned today but this one may be of interest to some members.

*** This program has been updated several times since I first posted about it ... it is now Junkware Removal Tool 6.3.1 as of 06 October 2014 ... found a better link.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/junkware_removal_tool.html

It doesn't have to be installed ... Junkware Removal Tool v6.1.4

"Since this tool is launched in a Command Prompt dialog, it is not necessary to install it. You can run it from any location on the computer, as well as save it to a USB flash disk, memory card or similar device, in order to use it on any adware-cluttered workstation with minimum effort."

Junkware Removal Tool v6.1.4

April 7th, 2014

Windows XP / Vista / Vista 64 bit / 7 / 7 64 bit / 8 / 8 64 bit

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/Junkware-Removal-Tool.shtml

Softpedia Editor's Review for Junkware Removal Tool

A command-line utility that searches and removes common adware, toolbars and potentially unwanted programs, without user intervention

Written by Elena Opris

Junkware Removal Tool is a command-line utility that scans your computer and removes toolbars, common adware, and potentially unwanted programs. It offers support for MyWebSearch, IncrediBar, Ask, Babylon, Coupon Printer, and other products.

Since this tool is launched in a Command Prompt dialog, it is not necessary to install it. You can run it from any location on the computer, as well as save it to a USB flash disk, memory card or similar device, in order to use it on any adware-cluttered workstation with minimum effort.

What's more, the Windows registry does not get new entries, and leftover files are not kept on the hard disk after removing the program.

Before proceeding with the scan-and-remove job, Junkware Removal Tool informs you that web browsers and Windows Explorer instances shall be closed for evaluation.

The tool uses Erunt to backup the registry. It verifies startup entries, modules, processes, services, files, folders, the registry, and installed web browsers. At the end of the task, Junkware Removal Tool automatically creates a plain text document with the log details, and saves it to the same location as the program. The log file shows the OS version, scan start and end time, along with fixed or deleted items.

Junkware Removal Tool takes a reasonable amount of time to finish a task, while using a very low quantity of CPU and RAM. It successfully eliminates unwanted items, without causing Windows to hang, crash or pop up error dialogs. Since it fully automatizes the scan-and-remove procedure, it does not require user assistance, making Junkware Removal Tool ideal for novices.

... also the Giveaway of the Day - WinSettings 8.1 web page ... as I said earlier, there several other free programs mentioned that might be of interest.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/winsettings/

The page is there for 24 hrs ... don't know if it completely goes away after that.

Edited by monroe

• 2 months later...

Today on Giveaway of the Day there is a Ram Disk program (also with other tools) being offered. Someone replied about another program that once cost money but is now free ... I have downloaded it but not tried it out yet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For an excellent RamDisk Software that will create as many “RamDisks” as you wish (subject to the available RAM on your system, including making it load at Startup (optional) so that you can use a “RamDisk” as your “Temp Directories” Location making all actions taking place in “temp files” to run MUCH faster.

Also an OPTION to create a File (ON DISK) to which the contentsd of any Ramdisk you choose may write to at Windows Shut down!

Other options ... I BOUGHT v3.2.2 in March 2012 just a few months before they made it a FREE Program !!!
That’s right an EXCELLENT Commercial program (running on my Widows 7 Home Premium Machine) available for FREE!

Current version (as of Sept. 28,2014 was RamDisk v3.4.6

The Download page (and more information is Here:

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

I hope that helps someone!!!

Comment by Chris Roy Jackson — October 7th, 2014 at 4:17 am "

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SoftPerfect RAM Disk for Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8

https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

SoftPerfect RAM Disk is a free high-performance RAM disk application that lets you have a disk on your computer entirely stored in its memory. As the memory is much faster than physical hard disks, storing temporary data on a fast in-memory disk to achieve a higher performance. Whatever your job is, read on to find out what a RAM disk can offer you.

SoftPerfect RAM Disk creates a virtual disk residing in the computer RAM accessible in Windows Explorer and other applications, allowing you to store any temporary information on this disk. Furthermore, Windows can be configured to use the RAM disk for temporary files, so that the system and most applications would use the fast in-memory disk for temporary data. As Windows and third-party applications often create a large number of temporary files for a short time only, using a RAM disk will extend your hard disk’s life by sparing it from excessive reading and writing.

Modern computers are equipped with at least 1 GB of RAM, and most of the time there is a lot of unused memory that could be used as a high-performance alternative to the slower hard disk storage. This product lets you create any number of virtual RAM disks limited only by the memory available. You can also work with on-disk images and RAM disks associated with an on-disk file, that ensures your data is preserved between sessions.

Key features of the RAM Disk:

+ Any number of RAM disks. In practice, up to 26 disks due to the number of drive letters available.

+ Any RAM disk size on 64-bit systems. Up to approximately 3.5 GB on 32-bit systems.

+ Persistent RAM disks with an associated on-disk image.

+ Volatile RAM disks whose content disappears on shutdown.

+ Built-in disk image manipulation tools.