Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Anyone get ATI Remote Wonder working on Win7 x64?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
The trick to doing this on Vista x64 was/is to run ati remote wonder drivers followed by X10 X64 drivers. I must have played around a full day trying to get it to work in Windows 7 x64. I managed to get the RW systray icon to show up a few times, wich is the only way the remote will respond). Also tried Keymaster, but it ain't happening.
I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has figured it out.

Thanks,

CF
Biostar A770E3 | AMD Phenom II X4 945 | 4gb WINTEC AMPX 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 | Antec SLK3700-BQE | Zotac (Fermi) Zone Edition GT 430 | ATI RW | W7sp1x64 | (2) DMax 10 6L200SO SATA 7200rpm Striped

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Mugsy323

Mugsy323
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 17-May 08
Took me a while, but I finally got my old Remote Wonder to work under Win7 (including mousepad).

While I'm not sure if it's a necessary step, I had just upgraded to the "leaked" 7048 release of Windows 7 (I had been using 7000 previously). I did notice that 7048 found a driver for my old printer that 7000 could not, so maybe that tells us something (though 7000 claimed to have found & installed a working driver for RW as well).

These are the steps I used that eventually got Remote Wonder working in Windows7 Beta (including mousepad). Most steps are probably unnecessary, but it eventually worked after doing them:

(If already plugged in, Unplug Remote Wonder.)

Download Remote Wonder software version 1.4 (search google for "remote-wonder-1-40-0-0.exe"). Supposedly, only this version works right.
Download ftp.x10.com/pub/applications/drivers/x10drivers_x64.exe (x10 drivers).
Download Remote Wonder 64bit Vista driver from ATI website.
Download Remote Wonder 32bit XP driver v3.04 from ATI website.
Download Remote Wonder plugin for "Windows Media Player 10"
Download Remote Wonder plugin "MLRmtPgn.dll 3.04" (for Windows Media Center).
...Sit on them for the time being...

Install RW-1.4. Reboot.

After rebooting, plug Remote Wonder into USB port. The Driver Wizard will search, find, and correctly install drivers.

(after each step, check the tray's "Hidden Icons" (up arrow) for the Remote Wonder icon. Once you see it, you can probably skip to the last step.)

Run "x10drivers_x64.exe." Reboot.

Install RW's 64bit Vista driver. Reboot.

Install the XP 3.04 software. Reboot.

The Remote Wonder icon should now be among the hidden tray icons.

*** LAST STEP ***

Right-click and click Properties.

On the first tab, select "One set for all features".

On the "Plug-Ins" tab, import the "Media Center Library" ("MLRmtPgn.dll") and "Windows Media Player 10" ("WMP10.dll") plugins. Click OK.

Remote should now work, including mousepad.

Let me know if you find certain steps to be unnecessary. I just listed everything I did before it finally worked. - Mugsy

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
WOW! Thanks, Mugsy!!! I just found this today - didn't really expect to see a reply. I think I tried a variation of what you had tried - involving x64 x10 driver, ati 3.04 driver. Got it working briefly - but wouldn't keep between boots. I'm going to install x86 today, and I know that works straight away with both 1.4 and 2.5. I prefer the 2.5 install because the systray icon "comes back" if the explorer.exe crashes. It seems for now, the x86 versions of Windows 7 are most kicking the x64 version's arse in terms of benchmark performance.

Thanks Again!

Edit: Now that you mentioned the thing about only 1.4 working right, I'll bet you found that from a thread I posted on either the BTV site or Rage3D that i put up a year ago. I've since found 2.5 works as well for x64 with the x10 x64 drivers, but the installer does throw a few harmless errors upon reboot.

Edited by Bilar Crais, 20 March 2009 - 09:02 AM.

Biostar A770E3 | AMD Phenom II X4 945 | 4gb WINTEC AMPX 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 | Antec SLK3700-BQE | Zotac (Fermi) Zone Edition GT 430 | ATI RW | W7sp1x64 | (2) DMax 10 6L200SO SATA 7200rpm Striped

Mugsy323

Mugsy323
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 17-May 08

Got it working briefly - but wouldn't keep between boots.

Edit: Now that you mentioned the thing about only 1.4 working right, I'll bet you found that from a thread I posted on either the BTV site or Rage3D that i put up a year ago.

I had the same problem with the remote not restoring between boots, but I found that once I set the Properties from the Tray icon, it stays. (I'm not in Win7 at the moment to report my settings. I still use XP32 primarily.) But it is possible to keep it working.

I probably did get that info on v1.4 from you, as I scoured the Net for over a week looking for leads on getting it to work and forgot exactly where I found everything. I replaced a dead ATI HDTV Wonder with a Hauppauge WinTV USB hdtv adapter (which does not come with a remote), and use it to watch HDTV on my PC (on my widescreen LCD). The standard WinTV software doesn't work in Win7 x64, but Win Media Center supports it. I still use the remote from my HDWonder in XP, and now I can use it in Win7 as well to change the channel/volume/etc as well. Very cool.

Regarding the speed of Win7, it depends on your CPU and the app. I have a quad-core Phenom II and ran some benchmarks. Win7 x64 runs 32bit apps about the same speed (slightly slower as it converts every instruction), but software that takes advantage of the 64bit architecture and multiple cores run almost twice as fast (FutureMark 3D Bench 2005 runs 41% faster!) Once 64bit software becomes more common, the advantage of a 64bit OS will become more apparent. MS really needs to abandon the 32bit platform (add 32bit legacy driver support and dump 32bit OS's entirely). As long as they continue to drag that dead weight around, the platform will die a slow painful death.

Edited by Mugsy323, 20 March 2009 - 10:31 AM.

Mugsy323

Mugsy323
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 17-May 08
A quick check of my RW settings in Win7x64 shows nothing unusual. Primarily, I have it set to "One set for all features" (right-click tray icon and click Properties). And make sure you have the plugin DLL's I note above installed.

While I don't have RW in my "Startup" folder, if it keeps disabling on every reboot, try puting a shortcut in there so it reloads with each boot.

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04

Regarding the speed of Win7, it depends on your CPU and the app. I have a quad-core Phenom II and ran some benchmarks. Win7 x64 runs 32bit apps about the same speed (slightly slower as it converts every instruction), but software that takes advantage of the 64bit architecture and multiple cores run almost twice as fast (FutureMark 3D Bench 2005 runs 41% faster!) Once 64bit software becomes more common, the advantage of a 64bit OS will become more apparent. MS really needs to abandon the 32bit platform (add 32bit legacy driver support and dump 32bit OS's entirely). As long as they continue to drag that dead weight around, the platform will die a slow painful death.

Yep - I think you're dead right on that. I dumped x86 pretty quickly after installing it - the performance was strangely varied - either really good, or really bad. That's what I like about x64 - it's just rock solid and consistent - no hanging windows waiting for things to happen, just much smoother all around. I'm still running Windows Server 2008 x64, and I think I'll be holding out til the very end to switch - it's just so damned good. And RW works perfectly on it without magic tricks. lol

Edited by Bilar Crais, 21 March 2009 - 07:51 AM.

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04
Update: Remote Wonder works on 7077 x64 without any tricks! Whoo-Hooo! Just install the x10 x64 drivers and the ati software (I used 2.5).

subflava

subflava
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
Hi,

I'm also struggling with getting the Remote Wonder to work on Windows 7 64-bit / x64. I've been searching all over for the 2.5 driver, but it seems ATI/AMD took the link down and I cannot find it *ANYWHERE*. Very frustrating...would one of you guys mind e-mailing it to me personally? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Badabing

Badabing
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09
Sure here u go. http://rapidshare.co...nglish.exe.html

Im still struggling with the right way ..

[edit] Oh it just worked :D THx
Also used the x10_64 drivers + vista 64 bit drivers. and 2.5 remote wonder. Gonna reboot. See if it still works.

Edited by Badabing, 11 August 2009 - 04:00 PM.

subflava

subflava
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
Thanks for the links Bilar and Badabing. I was finally able to get the 2.5 software, but I'm still not able to get it working. Don't know if it has to do with the fact that I had 3.04 installed before and I'm not sure if I was able to remove it cleanly. Also the X10 driver install seems a little flaky too, so I'm just a little doubtful about the whole thing.

<sigh> Guess I'm just going to suck it up and buy a new remote that has Vista/Win7 support. Just sucks since the Remote Wonder is a perfectly good remote otherwise...just no software for it.

Badabing

Badabing
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09
Well i did it like this.

Install the x10 drivers then the vista ones (without rebooting :) and finally the 2.5 ati drivers. Might give u some errors, but reboot now. And hopefully it works.

subflava

subflava
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
What do you mean by "install the x10 drivers then the vista ones"? Aren't they they same thing?
Here's what I did:

1. Install x10drivers_x64.exe
2. Install remote-wonder-2-5-0-0-english.exe

Did this several times in different order, with/without uninstalling, etc. Doesn't work seem to work...receiver never picks up the remote. The mouse pad doesn't work and no other buttons respond. Am I missing something?

For what it's worth, I am using the Windows 7 Professional x64 RTM version. Wonder if that matters.

Badabing

Badabing
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09
No there aren't the same. Maybe u downloaded the wrong ones. These drivers im using. U have to download my other rapidshare download for the Ati drivers.
http://rapidshare.co...tawin7.rar.html
Good luck with. It took me 2 or 3 times to get it right. Make sure u uninstall all other drivers. And disconnect the USB device.

subflava

subflava
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 10-August 09
Just thought of something...do you guys run with UAC (the Vista/Win7 security thing) disabled? If you left UAC enabled, are you running the install by right clicking and selecting the "Run as Administrator" option?

Edited by subflava, 15 August 2009 - 10:29 AM.

Badabing

Badabing
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09
That's the first thing i disable when i install/reinstall windows

chocobo-meow

chocobo-meow
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 15-August 09
Well first off thanks. Never would have thought of using an old driver version for this...
I have to admit tho that I'm not using windows 7 x64 I'm on x86 and using the remote wonder plus (not sure if the driver selection makes a difference here but it probably does.... too tired to actually check(just slap me if it does make a difference and if possible let me know name to search))
Anyway as it is the best I've been able to do was get the pointer to move but my "mouse buttons" and mostly all other buttons aren't mapped properly.
I was wondering if anyone else got this problem and figured it out yet...
oh yeah using the 7100 build x86
kinda wishing I didn't give my old remote wonder to my brother when I sold him my old video card
Well... I'm going to take a break from this senseless installing and start over again later...
thanks for any help :thumbup

soljarag

soljarag
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-August 09
Hey,

I have been trying to get my Remote Wonder to work under Windows XP x64 all day yesterday!! ... does anyone have any suggestions????

Badabing

Badabing
  • 5 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09
I'm sorry but i've lost my crystal ball... (scroll up my posts)

Your post doesn't include any information what so ever. Like what errors did u got. U tried searching on google? Sorry if this is sounding abit harsh. But it's not B)

Edited by Badabing, 26 August 2009 - 04:54 AM.

soljarag

soljarag
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-August 09

I'm sorry but i've lost my crystal ball... (scroll up my posts)

Your post doesn't include any information what so ever. Like what errors did u got. U tried searching on google? Sorry if this is sounding abit harsh. But it's not B)

HAHA

OK, I have tried the Vista 64 drivers, the x10 64bit drivers.... searched google for hours (thats how i found this thread)

a few rapidshare files in this thread are dead... so I"m not sure if I need them. and I can't find the remote wonder 1-40-**.exe

Bilar Crais

Bilar Crais

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Joined 06-August 04

a few rapidshare files in this thread are dead... so I"m not sure if I need them. and I can't find the remote wonder 1-40-**.exe

Here you are. X64 drivers, and ATI remote wonder version 2.5.

I use version 2.5 because when and if Windows explorer.exe crashes, the systray icon will recover; the RW version 1.4 does not.

First install the ATI software. Before rebooting, install the x64 driver. Reboot. The ATI driver package will throw a few errors after reboot, but just ignore them. The RW systray icon should now be present and the remote will be working.

http://cid-a5e73ea9b.....vers|_x64.exe
http://cid-a5e73ea9b...0-0-english.exe

soljarag

soljarag
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-August 09

Here you are. X64 drivers, and ATI remote wonder version 2.5.

I use version 2.5 because when and if Windows explorer.exe crashes, the systray icon will recover; the RW version 1.4 does not.

First install the ATI software. Before rebooting, install the x64 driver. Reboot. The ATI driver package will throw a few errors after reboot, but just ignore them. The RW systray icon should now be present and the remote will be working.

http://cid-a5e73ea9b.....vers|_x64.exe
http://cid-a5e73ea9b...0-0-english.exe

Thanks!! I'm swamped with work at the moment so I can't try it, so I'll check it out later (i saved all the files now)

soljarag

soljarag
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 23-August 09
Hey guys,

Well, I tried those 2 files... no luck ...

First i installed the software, then the x10 drivers... restarted. Then i got a few ati errors like you said and windows asked what drivers to use to install.. so I tried to point to the drivers in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\X10\DriverInstall\x64 Wireless Transceivers

but those didnt work....

then I tried to install the x10 drivers again.. no luck...

any other ideas????

Thanks!!!!!!

QBtheKiller

QBtheKiller
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-October 09
So I used to have problems but I figured this trick out and I am running the Remote Wonder (not sure if it is I or II) under Windows 7 x64 (build 7600) with my old XP driver 3.04...

before you install any driver or update you need to add these to dll's to your windows\system folder:
MFC71.dll
msvcr71.dll

After this just install as you normally would under any OS.

BTW this is needed in XP x86 SP3 as well

QB

mchong11

mchong11
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 25-October 09

So I used to have problems but I figured this trick out and I am running the Remote Wonder (not sure if it is I or II) under Windows 7 x64 (build 7600) with my old XP driver 3.04...

before you install any driver or update you need to add these to dll's to your windows\system folder:
MFC71.dll
msvcr71.dll

Where did you find MFC71.dll and msvcr71.dll?

QBtheKiller

QBtheKiller
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 01-October 09
I think I found them already on my computer... just in different locations... I just copied them into the system folder. Maybe they were on a Windows disc... Either way they were not hard to find. Now I just have them saved in my driver folder for ATI for quick use whenever I format

QB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Baidu (1)