Found alternative WMP11 install

wwwoholic

After "normal" installation of WMP11 using WinUpdate I found wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe file in C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Unlike the that everybody seem to be using (25,743,360 bytes) this one has slightly different size (25,755,648 bytes) and white icon, similar to all the KBs.

I wonder if this can be directly slipstreamed by NLite without the help of WMP11 Slipstreamer?

wwwoholic, I suspect this is an older version of WMP11. Go to properties on both files and select the Version tab, select the Version in the area below. The one I just DLed says 11.0.5721.5145. One I found on the Internet (not from MS) is a lower number. You can sure try it, but I suspect it will work the same as the latest.

The best way to check if files are the same is to compare the hash values. And, if you compare the size, don't use 'Size on disk' (as you did), because, I think this can vary according to the type of HDD. Enjoy, John.

John, I might be stupid, but I am not THAT stupid :)

They both were obtained from MS on a same day. Here's how:

- I installed fresh version of XP

- I run WinUpdate and installed WMP11

During the installation WinUpdate downloads everything into C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\ folder. Thats where I found the file after the update

- I went to boooggy site and used the link there to download WMP11

I compared properties of two files and they both exactly the same - "Windows Media Component Setup Application", version 11.0.5721.5145.

The only two apparent differences are size and icon. Which probably means the way they were packaged. So, what I am saying is that if the version downloaded by winupdate is meant to be silently installed, then maybe it can be used by NLite just like KBs are.

You can check your own files for size (unless, of course you are running OS with slipstreamed wmp, then you wont have anything in softwaredistribution).

Edited by wwwoholic

wwwoholic, OK, I learned something. I am running XP x64, and have no updates in my C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder - only several folders and files with what looks like a GUID for a name. Please let us know what you learn when you try the WPM11 update (from WUD) in nlite. Enjoy, John.

I am running XP x64, and have no updates in my C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder - only several folders and files with what looks like a GUID for a name.

John, those guid-like folders ARE your updates. Unpacked before installation.

Inside each folder you will find _file_to_execute_.txt file pointing to installer executable, usually it's update.exe in update\ subfolder. Also WinUpdate creates special files there at each step of setup, like _downloadprogress_.state, _unpacked_.state etc. You can copy any of those folders to different PC and run update.exe manually to have KB installed.

What's interesting, WinUpdate deletes original update immediately after unpacking. Only WMP11 is left there.

Please let us know what you learn when you try the WPM11 update (from WUD) in nlite.

Of course. I guess you mean "from SoftwareDistribution" folder, because the download standard location already tested and tried With WMP11 Slipstreamer installed. But before that I'd like to know what NLite would do if there is no WMP11 Slipstreamer, and I add white-iconed wmp11-windowsxp-x86-enu.exe to the hotfixes. Will NLite install it like any other KB? Will it complain about Slipstreamer?

Edited by wwwoholic

wwwoholic, I don't know how nLite discovers that the hot fix is really WMP11 and needs WMP11 Slipstreamer. Perhaps it uses the name, so you might try renaming. I do see WMP11 Slipstreamer in the nLite folder in the Program Files folder.

I did mean the WMP11 you found in the Download folder. I do have a couple of updates in that folder but they are the latest security updates and not WMP11. Enjoy, John.

I have confirmed couple things.

First, the installer from downloads folder works just like the other one, i.e. it installs wmp11 just fine.

Second, NLite recognizes it as wmp even if I rename file, and asks for WMP11 Slipstreamer if it is not installed yet.

So, the question rtemains open... if NLite is modified to not treat it specially (with Slipstreamer) would it be able to install it just like it does KBs? I know very little about inner workings of NLite, and even less about the difference of two installers. Just thought it would be nice to have pure NLite solution, without any additional software.

wwwoholic, you need to direct this issue to nuhi (owner/author). Reach him via PM or e-mail. Enjoy, John.

EDIT:I looked at the switches available on the WMP11 installer and an update, see attached. The problem, as you will see, is that the WMP11 installer does not have a /integrate switch, meaning MS has decided that it cannot be integrated directly, which is how nLite works. I was wrong, wwwoholic, you should direct this issue to MS not nuhi. To get more information, I suggest communication with WMP11 Slipstreamer's author, Boooggy. I do wonder what would be the benefit of you effort? Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc