Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

starwars battle front 1

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
how come star wars battle front 1 is so slow on my old computer
my comp has
386mb of sd ram pc-133
933mhz cpu l2 256KB
64mb geforce 4 mx 440 se pci
yamaha xg-ds sound card

i see that the cpu is losing by 77 mhz but i think that dont do no differents
becasue i uesd to have 766mhz and it ran bad and then 933mhz now and not much differents in this game

i see my computer is bit old but shouldent this game run fine on lowest graphics??????????
battlecruiser operational

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tain

tain

Cyber Ops

• Super Moderator
  • 3,683 posts
  • Joined 24-September 05

Donator

Are you saying that you don't meet the minimum system requirements? And that you think it should run fine anyway?

It has been quite some time since I played that game but the specs you list do seem a bit low for it.

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
damm
yea cpu just losing BY 77 MHZ and i said that i uesd to have a 766mhz and it didit do much different when i put in the 933mhz

andi got 386mb of sd ram

so am gussing its my graphics card?
AM I RIGHT!

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08
Your ram is fine since you are running Win ME I assume.
Your graphics card is pretty slow though for this game. The MX 440 SE is one of the slowest 64mb graphics cards out there. And it doesn't support directx 9.0c which is what this game needs to run optimally.

So to play it on your system I would defrag the hard drive, uninstall un-needed programs and junk, disable background programs while playing the game, update to the latest version of the game (1.2 or 1.3 I think) turn everything on lowest detail and play at under 800x600 res, and have a look here to find out which settings to change for best performance: http://www.tweakguides.com/SWB_1.html

Just remember that even if your CPU was 1Ghz it still would not run perfect as it does recommend 2Ghz P4 which is a lot faster than your CPU. It is best to say that if your PC does not meet recommended requirements (yours doesnt even meet minimum in all areas) then it will either run slow or look no where near as good as it looks on the box.

Edit: Oh yeah and your graphics card is the PCI version which is not as quick as AGP. So your graphics card is way too slow for this game at medium-high settings.

Edited by Zenskas, 21 February 2009 - 11:37 PM.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,907 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05
As Zenskas said, your graphics card is just not up to the par. In the game requirements it says that you need a 64 MB 3D Card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (T&L) Capability which yours isn't.

Please read the rules, folks!

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
my graphics card does support directx 9.0c
and my card is a 64 MB 3D Card with Hardware Transform & Lighting (T&L) Capability
LOL

nitroshift

nitroshift

Beware of programmers with screwdrivers!

• Super Moderator
  • 2,907 posts
  • Joined 29-November 05
From the Technical Sheet - nVIDIA geforce4 MX 64MB:

"Complete DirectX® support, including DirectX 8.1"

No DirectX 9.0 hardware support...

Please read the rules, folks!

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,958 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Right, he's thinking software support likely. I got to give it to you Starcraftmaster, making that computer last. Its different tho because while I could get the Crysis demo to run on my PC, I didn't bother posting about how to make it better because I knew I was well below spec. But at least you are learning something from these experiences of yours. It reminds me of my olden days of making things work that just "shouldn't" have. :thumbup
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
tpxmsfn1_zps393339c1.jpg

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
nitroshift

yea its just saying it supports directx 8.1
dont mean it dont work with dx 9 Lol

and all dirextx 9c games work fine on my computer lol

i just dont understan yea mabye it should run slow but not that slow
mabyes its one of those el cheapo EA a'like games just to make some money really fast
because i thought far cry wounldent work on my g card but it work great
i could amost put it on highest graphics but it was just bit to much so i put on medium and it works great so meh some games run good and some work s***ty

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

nitroshift

yea its just saying it supports directx 8.1
dont mean it dont work with dx 9 Lol

So if my computer does not support a socket 775 cpu does that mean it will still fit one? Nope.
Your card will still work, but not as fast as a dx 9 card and will not look as good as it cannot process dx9 graphics very well, if at all.

and all dirextx 9c games work fine on my computer lol

ALL DX9c games? This one doesn't obviously.

i just dont understan yea mabye it should run slow but not that slow
mabyes its one of those el cheapo EA a'like games just to make some money really fast
because i thought far cry wounldent work on my g card but it work great
i could amost put it on highest graphics but it was just bit to much so i put on medium and it works great so meh some games run good and some work s***ty

Yeah some games have higher system requirements than others but run better. It is whatever they want you to believe is the min or rec. Try looking at the guide I linked in my other post. You may be able to get it to run faster if you follow that guide.

Far Cry 1 actually has lower system requirements than your star wars game. Same ram and cpu but the graphics card min is a directx 9.0B card not 9.0C. And far cry works well on lower end systems as it has a large range of hardware it can run ok on. If you crank the graphics it needs a half good system but on low-mid any mid range PC built in the last 8 years can run it ok.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
how do i do a quote Lol
Zenskas

well most lol

Star Wars: Empire at War
System requirements Windows:1 GHz CPU or equivalent; 256MB RAM, 32MB graphics card with Hardware T&L, 2.5GB hard drive space, DirectX 9.0c, Windows 2000/XP.
Mac OS X: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, 1.83Hz Intel processor (2GHz recommended), 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), 64MB video RAM (256MB recommended) 3.5GB hard disk space, DVD drive.

bam DirectX 9.0c, the games run GREAT LOL

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

how do i do a quote Lol
Zenskas

well most lol

System requirements Windows:1 GHz CPU or equivalent; 256MB RAM, 32MB graphics card with Hardware T&L, 2.5GB hard drive space, DirectX 9.0c, Windows 2000/XP.
Mac OS X: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, 1.83Hz Intel processor (2GHz recommended), 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), 64MB video RAM (256MB recommended) 3.5GB hard disk space, DVD drive.

To quote, just press quote on the bottom of their post.

Yes but its a 32mb graphics card empire at war needs, not 64mb. So you could probably run it on a geforce 2 mx400 but starwars battlefront I would recommend playing on at least a geforce 4 mx 460 preferably a geforce 4 TI 4200 or better.

Edited by Zenskas, 23 February 2009 - 04:05 AM.

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08

how do i do a quote Lol
Zenskas

well most lol

To quote, just press quote on the bottom of their post.

Yes but its a 32mb graphics card empire at war needs, not 64mb. So you could probably run it on a geforce 2 mx400 but starwars battlefront I would recommend playing on at least a geforce 4 mx 460 preferably a geforce 4 TI 4200 or better.

yea but it running a directx 9.0c game Lol

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08
No it is running a directx 9.0c game in directx 8.1 mode. So it is not actually running the game as it was meant to look. Just cuts out any advanced dx9 features and makes it look basic.

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
looks petty good to me Lol

Redhatcc

Redhatcc

Advanced Member

• 366 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08
upgrading never hurt

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

rather cheap

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
yea but i cant seen i dont have got a credit card and my mum and dad wont let me Lol

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

looks petty good to me Lol

What directx 8.1 graphics looks good does it? Well I guess you have never played crysis warhead B) :D :P
You do not need a credit card for ebay. Using paypal, you can have it taken from your account. Or send a money order. Or just dont play that game if it runs so slow.

Redhatcc

Redhatcc

Advanced Member

• 366 posts
  • Joined 27-February 08

yea but i cant seen i dont have got a credit card and my mum and dad wont let me Lol

well that was a setback on me two when i was growing up dont feel so bad bro...

BUT one thing you can do is like at a pharmacy or walmart you can get a pre-paid credit card, kinda like a gift certificate but its a visa, and you can purchase online with it :D

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
well i dont see does things in australia llol

any thanks for making me learn a new thing aabout g cards and the directx 8.1 stuff
if i update the g card bios itself would that do any thing?
i looked at the aopen website but coundent find any thing but the bios update tool

Edited by starcraftmaster, 26 February 2009 - 08:14 PM.

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

well i dont see does things in australia llol

any thanks for making me learn a new thing aabout g cards and the directx 8.1 stuff
if i update the g card bios itself would that do any thing?
i looked at the aopen website but coundent find any thing but the bios update tool

Updating the graphics card bios would not make it much, if any faster. On your pc some games that would work OK would be half-life 1, age of empires 1 and 2, unreal tournament 1, maybe that awsome new game "world of goo", tactical ops, warcraft 3, age of mythology, starcraft, and quake 3. These are the games I had on my old computer which had a geforce 4 mx 440 and 933mhz P3 cpu.

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
ok thanks but one morre thing thats all i stop annoying yas
hey i seen people solder parts on a geforce 4 some thing and make it run faster and have better features
i remeeber seeing it on a website but i havent got the link no more
it was a thing you would get from dick simth(like cap or some small part) or some thing and you would solder it on and then you would use the drivers for a ti series card or some thing
it was some thing like turn your g card geforce 4 something into geforce TI or some thing

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

ok thanks but one morre thing thats all i stop annoying yas
hey i seen people solder parts on a geforce 4 some thing and make it run faster and have better features
i remeeber seeing it on a website but i havent got the link no more
it was a thing you would get from dick simth(like cap or some small part) or some thing and you would solder it on and then you would use the drivers for a ti series card or some thing
it was some thing like turn your g card geforce 4 something into geforce TI or some thing

Could not happen. You could overclock the core and memory to be the same as a ti series card but the ti series cards have more vertex and pixel shaders which counts the most for graphic performance. BTW, the GF4 MX series cards actually only support DX 7, not 8.1. So that is why they are so slow with some DX 9.0C games! :wacko:

starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Joined 11-September 08
only support DX 7, not 8.1

what but it says on the box 8.1
err well thanks for all the help

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

only support DX 7, not 8.1

what but it says on the box 8.1
err well thanks for all the help

No problem.
Look here: http://en.wikipedia....eForce_4_series
As you can see, the geforce 4 mx 440 se only supports directx 7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users