starcraftmaster

how come star wars battle front 1 is so slow on my old computer

my comp has

386mb of sd ram pc-133

933mhz cpu l2 256KB

64mb geforce 4 mx 440 se pci

yamaha xg-ds sound card

i see that the cpu is losing by 77 mhz but i think that dont do no differents

becasue i uesd to have 766mhz and it ran bad and then 933mhz now and not much differents in this game

i see my computer is bit old but shouldent this game run fine on lowest graphics??????????

Are you saying that you don't meet the minimum system requirements? And that you think it should run fine anyway?

It has been quite some time since I played that game but the specs you list do seem a bit low for it.

Your ram is fine since you are running Win ME I assume.

Your graphics card is pretty slow though for this game. The MX 440 SE is one of the slowest 64mb graphics cards out there. And it doesn't support directx 9.0c which is what this game needs to run optimally.

So to play it on your system I would defrag the hard drive, uninstall un-needed programs and junk, disable background programs while playing the game, update to the latest version of the game (1.2 or 1.3 I think) turn everything on lowest detail and play at under 800x600 res, and have a look here to find out which settings to change for best performance: http://www.tweakguides.com/SWB_1.html

Just remember that even if your CPU was 1Ghz it still would not run perfect as it does recommend 2Ghz P4 which is a lot faster than your CPU. It is best to say that if your PC does not meet recommended requirements (yours doesnt even meet minimum in all areas) then it will either run slow or look no where near as good as it looks on the box.

Edit: Oh yeah and your graphics card is the PCI version which is not as quick as AGP. So your graphics card is way too slow for this game at medium-high settings.

Edited by Zenskas

Right, he's thinking software support likely. I got to give it to you Starcraftmaster, making that computer last. Its different tho because while I could get the Crysis demo to run on my PC, I didn't bother posting about how to make it better because I knew I was well below spec. But at least you are learning something from these experiences of yours. It reminds me of my olden days of making things work that just "shouldn't" have. :thumbup

nitroshift

From the Technical Sheet - nVIDIA geforce4 MX 64MB:

"Complete DirectX® support, including DirectX 8.1"

No DirectX 9.0 hardware support...

yea its just saying it supports directx 8.1

dont mean it dont work with dx 9 Lol

and all dirextx 9c games work fine on my computer lol

i just dont understan yea mabye it should run slow but not that slow

mabyes its one of those el cheapo EA a'like games just to make some money really fast

because i thought far cry wounldent work on my g card but it work great

i could amost put it on highest graphics but it was just bit to much so i put on medium and it works great so meh some games run good and some work s***ty

nitroshift

From the Technical Sheet - nVIDIA geforce4 MX 64MB:

"Complete DirectX® support, including DirectX 8.1"

No DirectX 9.0 hardware support...

yea its just saying it supports directx 8.1

dont mean it dont work with dx 9 Lol

So if my computer does not support a socket 775 cpu does that mean it will still fit one? Nope.

Your card will still work, but not as fast as a dx 9 card and will not look as good as it cannot process dx9 graphics very well, if at all.

and all dirextx 9c games work fine on my computer lol

ALL DX9c games? This one doesn't obviously.

i just dont understan yea mabye it should run slow but not that slow

mabyes its one of those el cheapo EA a'like games just to make some money really fast

because i thought far cry wounldent work on my g card but it work great

i could amost put it on highest graphics but it was just bit to much so i put on medium and it works great so meh some games run good and some work s***ty

Yeah some games have higher system requirements than others but run better. It is whatever they want you to believe is the min or rec. Try looking at the guide I linked in my other post. You may be able to get it to run faster if you follow that guide.

Far Cry 1 actually has lower system requirements than your star wars game. Same ram and cpu but the graphics card min is a directx 9.0B card not 9.0C. And far cry works well on lower end systems as it has a large range of hardware it can run ok on. If you crank the graphics it needs a half good system but on low-mid any mid range PC built in the last 8 years can run it ok.

how do i do a quote Lol

Zenskas

well most lol

Star Wars: Empire at War

System requirements Windows:1 GHz CPU or equivalent; 256MB RAM, 32MB graphics card with Hardware T&L, 2.5GB hard drive space, DirectX 9.0c, Windows 2000/XP.

Mac OS X: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, 1.83Hz Intel processor (2GHz recommended), 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), 64MB video RAM (256MB recommended) 3.5GB hard disk space, DVD drive.

bam DirectX 9.0c, the games run GREAT LOL

how do i do a quote Lol

Zenskas

well most lol

System requirements Windows:1 GHz CPU or equivalent; 256MB RAM, 32MB graphics card with Hardware T&L, 2.5GB hard drive space, DirectX 9.0c, Windows 2000/XP.

Mac OS X: Mac OS X version 10.4.8, 1.83Hz Intel processor (2GHz recommended), 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), 64MB video RAM (256MB recommended) 3.5GB hard disk space, DVD drive.

To quote, just press quote on the bottom of their post.

Yes but its a 32mb graphics card empire at war needs, not 64mb. So you could probably run it on a geforce 2 mx400 but starwars battlefront I would recommend playing on at least a geforce 4 mx 460 preferably a geforce 4 TI 4200 or better.

Edited by Zenskas

how do i do a quote Lol

Zenskas

well most lol

To quote, just press quote on the bottom of their post.

Yes but its a 32mb graphics card empire at war needs, not 64mb. So you could probably run it on a geforce 2 mx400 but starwars battlefront I would recommend playing on at least a geforce 4 mx 460 preferably a geforce 4 TI 4200 or better.

yea but it running a directx 9.0c game Lol