can I connect via UNC from an xp to mac system?

ceez

hello everyone.

I need some help. at work they've asked us in IT to try to connect remotely to our single mac user in the office. I am mac illiterate and have not idea how this can be done or if it's even possible with a 3rd party application. Heck, I dont even know what the computer name is.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

thanks,

ceez

:thumbup

First off, File Sharing needs to be turned on and the NetBIOS name has to be set. If the user's running Mac OS 10.4 or higher, he/she will have to enable File Sharing on his/her Mac by going to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Sharing, and then checking off the "File Sharing" service and adding folders he/she would like to share.

post-1828-1235404337_thumb.png

I don't remember how to do it under 10.4, but in 10.5, you have to set the NetBIOS name on a per-NIC basis (the "Computer Name" field above is for the Bonjour network). To do so, go back to System Preferences, select the correct NIC, click on "Advanced...", select the "WINS" tab, and set the NetBIOS name and Workgroup there.

post-1828-1235404343_thumb.png

You can then access the Mac by browsing to \\<NetBIOS Name>\<Share Name> on a Windows computer.

Hope this helps. :)

[ Moved. ]

thanks alot for that detailed explanation

now I dont know if they have it enabled and I just cant go up to the user and tell them to share it out cause HR wants to take a peek at what you have cause you're a bad bad bad boy/girl.

is it possible to check in my windows network what her mac computer name is? this way I can try to UNC and if I am in great, if I am not then HR will have to personally take the laptop away....have THEM work for a change!

thanks again,

ceez

is it possible to check in my windows network what her mac computer name is? this way I can try to UNC and if I am in great, if I am not then HR will have to personally take the laptop away....have THEM work for a change!

Hmmm... If they haven't set the default workgroup name to something else (which is pretty likely), then you'll probably find it in the workgroup named "WORKGROUP" as "Someone's MacBook." You can give it a shot, but I'm not too sure if you'll come up with anything.

Also, forgot to mention... The computer *might only* show up if File Sharing is enabled. I can't confirm this right now as I don't have a Windows computer/virtual machine that's powered up right now as I'm on my way to bed. Either way, it's still worth checking the "WORKGROUP" workgroup.