Vista VS XP

MillenX

Which OS is better in overall performance?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the better Windows OS in overall performance (not including Server editions)

• Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    • XP Professional 32-bit
    • Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    • XP Professional 64-bit
    • Other Vista editions 32-bit
    • Other Vista edition 64-bit
    • Other XP edition (only 32-bit)
    • I really think Vista & XP are almost the same
    • Windows 7!
  2. 2. Choose the better OS in overall performance (not including Server editions)

• Vista
    • XP
    • OS X Leopard
    • OS X
    • Linux (ubuntu/kubuntun/edubuntu...)
    • 7 !

I read that many games (especially my favourite Metal Gear Solid 2) run better in XP than Vista.

(Some ppl say they can't get MGS2 run on vista!)

Many comments said XP is better than Vista in many. if not every aspects.

So, once my system got problem I decided to downgrade back to Vista with hope that all things will be better in XP.

Now that I got back XP I feel lucky that I still keep my Vista DVD.

Things for which I would give more scores to Vista:

- copy and move faster

- install and uninstall faster

- lesser application hang

- the way Vista handle crash/freeze. In XP, when one IE freezes, all IEs terminate. In Vista this is not the case.

- games run smoother. My CS:Source run well in Vista without problem. Though its FPS in my XP is more than in Vista, however the game just runs better and seems to have more FPS in Vista.

- faster overall speed. This includes faster file browsing, faster boot up, faster application startup... In XP, sometimes, when I open a folder, it pauses awhile before accessing it.

- Optimization, in term of disabling services that are not required.

In XP, disabling services does not show greater improvement in startup than in Vista. HP imaging device software has been blamed for its slow startup and it causes certain application like Network Connection to be unable to load. Only when it loaded completely that the NC and all broadband connections can load, or probably they have already loaded half-way. Before that, all broadband connections disappear in Network Connection. In XP, when you hover the mouse to Connect To in Start, the menu freezes.

I disable many services in XP but it still take a hell long time to finish loading but in Vista, disabling services does help a lot! It starts its 3-seconds load 2 seconds after the desktop came!

http://www.optimizingpc.com/vista/optimizi...s_services.html

Even before the optimization in Vista, i could still access applications other than NC but couldn't in XP... lags a bit even when opening My Computer.

- At last, the stylish look. When I downgrade to XP I feel like downgrading myself too.

But there are something I dislike of it.

- no Scanner and Camera Wizard. I found many scanner softwares, even HP's are not comparable to this simple wizard. Miss that much...

- no support for GIF image. Why?

- a-slightly-slower progress while connecting to Internet.

- slower internet speed. This is annoying, giving a good reason to downgrade. The day before I installed Vista, downloading is still fine, but somehow I feel slower internet speed, which is an annoyance shared by many people (I read from the Internet). Even when I disable IPv6, still feel the same. But now I think I've misaccused of Vista.

(It should be Streamyx from Tmnet, the ISP in Malaysia. Almost everyone dislikes it, but it holds a strong monopoly in its field, because of our government... yes, I am a Malaysian)

So far none of my application is having issue with Vista. neither hardware issues with hardwares.

To be fair to Vista, I have also read a lot of positive comments to Vista, which basically compare Vista to XP.

Quoting some sources, Vista utilized OpenGL and multi-cores processor than XP.

I believe it as multi-cores processor was introduced prior to Vista's release, so that Vista can be designed to make use of multi-cores and other today's popular applications including API better.

And now I start wondering things that I've never been wondering before:

Why is Vista unsuccessful in the market?

(probably because it has been successfully cracked)

I can't say that Vista is certainly and 'no-doubtly' better than XP as I, who lacks standards for accurate measurements, am not a professional analyzer.

Some machines prove better overall performance in XP.

Important note! Download hotfix KB896256 to improve utilization of multi-cores processor in XP!

Well, I use XP still, and from what performace i have seen gtom W7, it is going to be awesome!

Vista, I have been one of the unlucky ones to have NON STOP problems with it. I even gave it another chance with my new rig, to have the same problems over and over. So I have totally given up on Vista, full stop.

XP, at the moment, is the most relaible, compatible, fast OS to use for me. I have given Vista plenty of chances to prove itself to me, just to be disapointed EVERY time. So I will now wait to see what W7 brings.

Ha i tested CS:Source on both Vista and XP using Intel GMA X3100 and poor XP plays it badly.

This is what I like the most of Vista:

- Optimization, in term of disabling services that are not required.

In XP, disabling services does not show greater improvement in startup than in Vista. HP imaging device software has been blamed for its slow startup and it causes certain application like Network Connection to be unable to load. Only when it loaded completely that the NC and all broadband connections can load, or probably they have already loaded half-way. Before that, all broadband connections disappear in Network Connection. In XP, when you hover the mouse to Connect To in Start, the menu freezes.

I disable many services in XP but it still take a hell long time to finish loading but in Vista, disabling services does help a lot! It starts its 3-seconds load 2 seconds after the desktop came!

http://www.optimizingpc.com/vista/optimizi...s_services.html

Even before the optimization in Vista, i could still access applications other than NC but couldn't in XP... lags a bit even when opening My Computer.

You could try out the Vista sp2 beta (or you probably wanna wait for the final sp2). it's the most stable product of microsoft's betas I have ever used. It intended to give great improvement for Vista and the graphic performs much better on it.

I believe that XP wins Vista over software compatibility issues though i hope it doesn't.

But so far i've not met any of the issues in Vista...

Try Vista and you will like it.

I believe that XP wins Vista over software compatibility issues though i hope it doesn't.

Compatibility is such a major issue in Vista: just see this very long list of incompatible apps </sarcasm>. There's all of 2 entries on it (and 2 more with minor issues, and 2 more which have "internal issues" which I wouldn't blame on windows).

Compatibility is such a major issue in Vista: just see this very long list of incompatible apps </sarcasm>. There's all of 2 entries on it (and 2 more with minor issues, and 2 more which have "internal issues" which I wouldn't blame on windows).

Wow... so incompatible...

Hope Vista Sp2 will do better as it also intends to solve compatibility issues.

For business use, XP is still highly recommended. in addition XP has a professionalism look.

Meanwhile, XP is till leading in the poll.

Edited by MillenX

For business use, XP is still highly recommended. in addition XP has a professionalism look.
Which, the fisher price child's toy block blue/green look? I hope this statement is a joke, but I'm guessing I will be wrong...

Vista Ultimate for High-End systems is great.

XP has a difficult time with memory when above 3 gig

even with the updates...

32-bit just cannot handle all those data lines efficiently

OEM Vista sucks...

Learn to create your own install disks.

You will never regret it.

Which, the fisher price child's toy block blue/green look?

No, no. It's a fisher price + teletubbies look, get it right! :lol: C'mon now, teletubbies look enterprisey, don't they?

xpteletubbies.th.jpg

blissteletubbies.th.jpg

If you don't know what teletubbies are then you're very lucky, just be thankful!

Edit: I had forgotten about the fisher price dog from the search too. It just doesn't get more professional looking than this!

xpsearch40beta.th.jpg

Which, the fisher price child's toy block blue/green look? I hope this statement is a joke, but I'm guessing I will be wrong...

thought in your way too...

Vista Ultimate for High-End systems is great.

agree

OEM Vista sucks...
Learn to create your own install disks.
You will never regret it.

Using vLite?

Windows 7's leading?

Which, the fisher price child's toy block blue/green look? ...
:lol:
No, no. It's a fisher price + teletubbies look, get it right! ...
:lol:

Not forgetting, of course, those helpful naming suggestions for the network name: "Kitchen Computer" or "Mary's Computer". They sound pretty enterprisey, too.

Mind you, if you saw what some users did with their computers, primary colours from the Early Learning Centre just about pitches it at the right level for them....

Well, given the pool choices, XP 32bit win easily. I would say that Vista feels too slow from boot to shutdown. But that could be issue just on 1GBy ram computers with about 2GHz CPU clock. On faster machines with more ram is the speed problem of Vista diminishing. I still did not like the DRM issues and stuff, so I stick with my lovely Windows 2000 SP4 :)

I wonder how they will work on quad core Phenom, lol :thumbup