while initializing device ntkern

starcraftmaster

some times i be playing games or doing some thing on the internet and it may freeze you know how os freeze some times nothing bad

you know just the normal freeze and then shut down with the button by holding it for a few secs

well after doing all that for some reson when win me is booting it will say:

while initializing device ntkern

windows protection error. you need to restart your computer

system halted

and there way i fix it is going into safe mode and then just going into msconfig look at things and then restart(dont change any thing Lol)or some other program (and look around in that)and it seems to fix it BUT if the computer freezes again later on the same thing will happen all again and if i dont do any thing in safe mode it seems the error stays Lol but i notice yesterday and started doing things about now so may be other stuff or i may be wrong about some thing

lol neveer uesd to do this

things i install in the past week

avast antivirus

uninstalled zone alarm with anti virus and anti spyware

Connectix Virtual PC

@Lecco

Are you running Windows 98 SE or Windows ME?

They are NOT exactly the same, though similar.

Moreover, unless you actually start it, Virtual PC can be set to "eat as much RAM as you like" ;).

@starcraftmaster

From what you report, it doesn't seem to me like the portrait of a stable OS..... :whistle:

Just for the record, I keep a log of the times I had to restart by pressing the power button on the two machines I usually run, till today:

NT 4.00 (installed in 2000, October) 4 (four) times (each time due to bad behaviour of the UPS software/communication in occasion of blackouts/power surges)

Win2K (installed in March 2003) 0 (zero) times

jaclaz

but you you go to msconfig and then advanced and lower it in there or you mean take ram out of the computer and put lower ram sticks in?

Decreasing the amount of RAM in msconfig is enough. ;)

@Lecco

Are you running Windows 98 SE or Windows ME?

They are NOT exactly the same, though similar.

Moreover, unless you actually start it, Virtual PC can be set to "eat as much RAM as you like" ;).

98SE, it is in my profile and in my signature. ;)

@starcraftmaster

From what you report, it doesn't seem to me like the portrait of a stable OS..... :whistle:

Nope, my system is practically clean and does the same as above. :wacko: