Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Is this win98se patch for 4gb use a scam?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

billyb

billyb

• 33 posts
  • Joined 26-February 09
http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html

I've been holding off on installing win98se on some of the more powerful machines here (for use with some older programs I like that won't work at all with xp) because they all have 2gb-4gb of ram

I've been seeing this ad in a few places the past few days and can't figure out if it's a scam or if this is what I need

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

awergh

awergh

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05
think the person who wrote the patch has posted on here but the thread was locked because it was technically advertising

ShadeTreeLee

ShadeTreeLee

Junior

• Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 19-February 07

think the person who wrote the patch has posted on here but the thread was locked because it was technically advertising

I doubt it, awergh. PC world probably came up with their very own version of the Loew patch, or Loew would have his name all over that one. See the last posts of the "Puzzling Registry Size Issue" thread where Loew appears to post without advertising and for how/why the patch works and so YES!! - It appears the patch does seem to work. Now where to pay for it (which patch do you want?) is the decision to be made?

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,752 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

It's true. It works!

noguru

noguru

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Joined 24-February 06
The screen-shot on that page matches the 4GB system from Loew posted here on msfn.

http://www.msfn.org/...o...118097&st=1

AMD sempron 3400+ and 3647 MB RAM seen by Windows. Could be coincidental off course ;)

Dave-H

Dave-H

MSFN Expert

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,042 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

It's true. It works!

It certainly does!
:thumbup
While we're here dencorso, could you update my entry on the list of users running Windows 98 with large amounts of RAM to say that I'm now running version 6.0 of Rudolph Loew's patch.
Thanks, Dave.
:)

Triple boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a, Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Dual graphics cards ATI Radeon X850 and Nvidia Geforce 210. 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

dencorso

dencorso

Iuvat plus qui nihil obstat

• Supervisor
  • 5,752 posts
  • Joined 07-April 07

Donator

The screen-shot on that page matches the 4GB system from Loew posted here on msfn. [...] Could be coincidental off course ;)

Posted Image

There is no coincidence. They're one and the same.

@Dave_H: Done. Thanks! :thumbup

aqcww

aqcww

Junior

• Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08
the software is good and useful,but, a little frustrating that it's not free.. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

rloew

rloew

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Joined 30-May 05

http://www.pcworld.c...escription.html

I've been holding off on installing win98se on some of the more powerful machines here (for use with some older programs I like that won't work at all with xp) because they all have 2gb-4gb of ram

I've been seeing this ad in a few places the past few days and can't figure out if it's a scam or if this is what I need

The Patch on PC World is my Demo. They probably copied it off Simtel as do a lot of other websites.
I'm not sure why they did not put my name as Author.
The screenshot link points directly into my Website, not theirs.
Ye who enter my domain. Beware! Lest you become educated in the mysteries of the universe and suffer forever from the desire to know more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users