Mediaplayer 11 Q: how to disable automatic disabling plugin support? s

devnullius

Hello,

Would anyone have any suggestions on how to let windows mediaplyer 10 and 11 STOP disabling all your plugins after a "crash"?

Especially on slow low-memory systems, mediaplayer considers itself crashed after the default windows-xp time-out. This time-out often is too quick (even at maximum) for Mediaplyer to close down properly. It just is too busy to respond to the windows-xp timed-out-question... : /

So, I want mediaplayer to STOP automatically disabling plugin-support.

Maybe something is possible with the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\UIPlugins\*?

My default 3 plugins I always want to run (among others the support for FLAC and Now Playing feautre of Live Messenger) are found under this \* registry keys. Denying permissions does not seem to do the trick? But I would have to continue to test this...

Any help / solutions / inspiration is greatly appreciated ; )

Peace!

Cuisvis hominis est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore persevare

------

All spelling mistakes are my own and may only be distributed under the GNU General Public License! - (© 1995-2001 by Coredump; 2002-009 by DevNullius)

Edited by devnullius

I determined the minimum registry key permissions to actually let Now Playing for Live Messenger plugin do it's work...

Make sure everything is working the way you want, before you continue. You cannot change the now playing option after enabling below minimum security settings. You will see crashes in unexptected ways if you change the now playing option after enabling below ; )

Find the registry object (see 1st post) which contains the entry "music plugin for windows live messenger".

Right-click the object to Change Permissions...

Click advanced.

Remove all listed permissions.

Disable the option Inerit permissions from above (I have to translate from Dutch... So English text will vary: ).

Enable (by checking) the option to intherit permissions to reset below objects and enable inheritable permissions.

When you press OK and answer Yes once or twice, everything is clean and nothing will work.

Next, add two users to the permissions: Administrators and System.

Give them the following set of permissions:

DENY: everything, except for: Complete Control, Request Value, Index (inventarise?) subkeys, Report.

ALLOW: Request value, index subkeys, report, make shortcut.

If Administrators and System is as requested above, the Now Playing plug-in will work.

Hower, when mediaplayer crashes again, the option still is disabled.

How? I don't know yet. I'll repost if I continue this thing / find a solution.

Still interested in feedback!

Oh, and Peace! : P

Devvie Nuis.

PS: Administrators can be changed to the user-account you are using... Administrators probably is the easiest...

Edited by devnullius