ATI Radeon Driver for Windows 2000

blackwingcat

Thank you for your reply Blackwing.

I will try your DirectX extension package and see if I can install the 10.11 with no problem and keep you updated.

Do you recommend to not even bother installing the 11.x Catalysts?

Do you recommend to not even bother installing the 11.x Catalysts?

Hi,

I think that you had better install by 11.2. If you want to install later version driver.

Some games freeze on play prologue movie Although I'm using 11.5 driver.

Edited by blackwingcat

Good morning/afternoon Blackwing.

O.k., the drivers I tried last night were 10.7, 10.11, 11.1, 11.3 and 11.5. I will try 11.2 tonight.

I executed your DirectX Extension package but 10.11 still crashed to BSOD when trying to save a game in Fallout 3.

10.7 worked good. 11.3 and 11.5 would install but only standard VGA mode drivers would install when restarting W2K.

11.1 would install but ATI Tray Tools would not update the Catalyst version in its system information. DxDiag and Device Manager would show that 11.1 drivers were installed, though.

What would cause my system to install standard VGA mode drivers when trying to install 11.3 and 11.5?

I tried the 11.2 drivers last night and they also loaded up with the standard VGA mode drivers.

Edited by algeeba

• 1 month later...

You just saved my day. For some reasons I need W2K from time to time on my Machine which I just equipped with a Radeon HD 3450 from club. Afterwards I only had VGA at 640x40 available, which made the system almost unusable. I tried your version of the 10/11-Driver (the newer seem to need additional drivers) and it works like a charm. Many, many thanks!

Andreas

• 1 month later...

Hi blackwingcat, hope you are still watiching the thread. I have not seen this question answered earlier.

I have expanded your driver file ati5k2k1.zip, hoping to run an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT PCIE2. I first followed instructions from elsewhere on the 'net to completely clean my system of the old (Sapphire Radeon X300) ATI driver/software remnants.

My system is Windows 2000 Professional SP4+.

When following your directions to install your modified driver, while in the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard, I am seeing an extra screen not mentioned, causing a problem:

Select the manufacturer and model of your hardware ...

followed by an empty box titled 'Models:'

Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.

There is a 'Have Disk' button here, as well, but if I enter the same information as you previously told us to do, that is accepted, but it loops back to this same screen, from which there is no exit.

What can I do to complete the installation of your driver? I feel I am so close, yet so far ... :huh:

:) Thanks for your driver and for your help.

Edited by RonCam

I worked-around one problem by installing Windows' native driver for ATI Radeon-compatible cards, then changing that to the bwc driver, before rebooting. Now the models box was populated with the 5000 series, and I selected the right one. I could see the bwc driver files being installed.

But the unpleasant surprise came on reboot, as it proceeded only to the point when Windows began to load. I suspect something crashed windows as the screen blanked momentarily and then the boot started again.

So, back to the drawing board ... Is there anything that would be helpful to blackwingcat to work around this?

P.S.: Going beyond my question, please let me know if you see anything wrong with the way I'm going about this, since ... many others are reporting success in running their 5000-series boards under Win2K. Am I doint anything different??

Edited by RonCam

Hi blackwingcat, or anyone else who can help: I gave it my last shot.

I restored the Windows 2000 image that was working with the old card, then inserted the EAH5450 and rebooted. This time I didn't try to clean up the system from the previous driver, but just followed bwc's directions at the start of this thread.. I thought I might have been cleaning out something that had best be left.

I used the same trick to allow bwc's driver to populate the model box with the various numbers, selected the right one, and saw the driver files installing. Windows then showed ATI 5450 as the installed driver, in Device Manager.

On reboot we got as far as when the desktop should first appear, but instead the monitor screen went black and after about one second, the system started to reboot. Just as before.

So I will have to begin searching again for a solution. There must be one, as there are reports of success with these drivers. Much appreciated if someone could point out what the difference is, between what these folks did, and what I am doing. :huh:

If BSod cause of DirectX's extended function, Your Catalyst goes to work fine, when you install my DirectX Extension Package, Dx9W2kFx14a.exe
Hoping to do anthing to solve the problem, I installed the above file before installing the bwc drivers, and then reboooted to give the new drivers control.

I didn't get a blue screen, but is was as before: the boot never gets to the desktop, but the screen blacks out and then the system goes back to the BIOS check. I think it is not accepting the driver ...

I will check back from time to time to see if there are any developments, here. I can find no other reliable sources on the Internet for running these newer cards on Windows 2000.

Edited by RonCam

Hi, RonCam

Please tell me customized ATI driver version and Your device's Vendor ID and Device ID.

:)

fx) VEN_1234&DEV_5678

We know HD5xxx has some problem. Windows 2000 user's best ATI VGA Card is HD4xxx.

And ATI Driver 11 has some compatibility problem on HD5xxx.

if your VGA is not stable, try to rollback 10.x driver.

Hi blackwingcat, hope you are still watiching the thread. I have not seen this question answered earlier.

I have expanded your driver file ati5k2k1.zip, hoping to run an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT PCIE2. I first followed instructions from elsewhere on the 'net to completely clean my system of the old (Sapphire Radeon X300) ATI driver/software remnants.

My system is Windows 2000 Professional SP4+.

When following your directions to install your modified driver, while in the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard, I am seeing an extra screen not mentioned, causing a problem:

Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.

There is a 'Have Disk' button here, as well, but if I enter the same information as you previously told us to do, that is accepted, but it loops back to this same screen, from which there is no exit.

What can I do to complete the installation of your driver? I feel I am so close, yet so far ... :huh:

:) Thanks for your driver and for your help.

Edited by blackwingcat

Please tell me customized ATI driver version and Your device's Vendor ID and Device ID.

:)

fx) VEN_1234&DEV_5678

Yes, you have so many different versions and you want to know exactly which one I am using. The above 'bwc-customized' file was downloaded from the link associated with the following text, as best as I can copy from the English translation of the original page:

• For the ATI Radeon 5000 Series Driver for Win2000
  • 2010/2/12 Version 10.1alpha (AGP+HDMI) 2010/2/12 Version 10.1Alpha (AGP + HDMI)
  • 10.5以降は共通 10.5 Since the common

The exact filename I was able to obtain at this link is: ati5k2k1.zip

Identification numbers from my VGA ASUS RADEON HD5450 Silent 512MB HDMI/DDR2PCIE2 card:

VenID: 0x1002

DevID: 0x68E1

I had to boot Windows 7 to see this, using its 'generic' VGA driver. Under Windows 2000 (so far, I have no functional driver for the new card, under this OS) it was identified only as 'VGA'.

My need is to get enough basic functionality and stability from the new EAH5450 card so I may occasionally drop back into Windows 2000. I am now set-up with a dual boot between that and Windows 7. So my demands on the card in Windows 2000 will not be great -- I will be happy if I can see the contents of my office suite, at the proper resolution.

Thanks very much for picking up on this thread! :)

[edit] Blackwingcat, could you take a look back to the part of this thread, to where I describe that little 'undocumented glitch' during my installation, the one that needed the work-around? I wonder if this resulted in a defective driver installation, and that's why Windows wouldn't go through a boot, and maybe there's nothing wrong with the driver at all? Just guessing. What do you think? [/edit]

Please let me know if you need more information.

Edited by RonCam

Hi, RonCam

Just noticed this suggestion.

By that, did you mean, "try to rollback to the 10.x driver" (from version 11.x) -- or do you mean "try to rollback 10.x driver to an earlier version"? I was interpreting this to mean the first choice. If the second, you are saying I should go to a 9.x driver.

Will a 9.x driver work with my card, and if so, which one do you recommend?

Details, please.

Edited by RonCam

Hi.

Sorry,I made misconception. I thought that you use 11.x Driver.

The ati5k2k1.zip is alpha 10.1 driver.

HD5xxxx series are supported following drivers.

2010/6/8 Version 10.5(AGP+HDMI)

2010/6/19 Version 10.6a(AGP+HDMI)

2010/7/31 Version 10.7(AGP+HDMI)

2010/9/1 Version 10.8(AGP+HDMI)

2010/10/24 Version 10.10(AGP+HDMI)

2010/12/2 Version 10.11(AGP+HDMI)

2011/5/13 Version 11.1b(AGP+HDMI+Mobility) *

2011/5/13 Version 11.2a(AGP+HDMI+Mobility) *

2011/5/13 Version 11.3a(AGP+HDMI+Mobility) *

2011/5/13 Version 11.5c(AGP+HDMI+Mobility) *

*11.x series require KB829884.

But stable drivers are 10.x series.

The reason which I didn't descript HD5xxx is we found out some problem on HD5xxx High end model has many problem on Windows 2000.( You can see the discussion on the my blog's comments)

I also have HD5450 and it seems almost no problem, but any game crash on trying to play movie.

I think HD38xx or HD 46xx or HD47xx or HD48xx are Optimum for Windows 2000, on stability and performance.

Hi, RonCam

Just noticed this suggestion.

By that, did you mean, "try to rollback to the 10.x driver" (from version 11.x) -- or do you mean "try to rollback 10.x driver to an earlier version"? I was interpreting this to mean the first choice. If the second, you are saying I should go to a 9.x driver.

Will a 9.x driver work with my card, and if so, which one do you recommend?

Details, please.

Edited by blackwingcat

This part of my installation didn't go as expected, from following the directions. My work-around was to make Windows 2000 install its native (and 12-year old) ATI driver and then, before the reboot, change that to the BWC-modified driver.

I don't think I was supposed to see an empty "Models" box, because the installation then cannot proceed. In your experience, did this happen because I did something wrong, in the steps leading up to this?

My concern is that the work-around may have caused the driver to install incorrectly.

If you've never seen this before, then let me know that as well. Perhaps it will not repeat when I go to a higher driver in the 10.x series?

Thanks!

Edited by RonCam

On 1/24/2012 at 0:02 AM, blackwingcat said:

The ati5k2k1.zip is alpha 10.1 driver.

HD5xxxx series are supported following drivers.

2010/6/8 Version 10.5(AGP+HDMI)

2010/6/19 Version 10.6a(AGP+HDMI)

2010/7/31 Version 10.7(AGP+HDMI)

2010/9/1 Version 10.8(AGP+HDMI)

2010/10/24 Version 10.10(AGP+HDMI)

2010/12/2 Version 10.11(AGP+HDMI)

But stable drivers are 10.x series.

Thanks, blackwingcat. I mistakenly selected an 'alpha' driver because I didn't know I could use the others. Now that is clear.

May I assume you suggesting my best choice is to start with the last driver in the version 10.x series, v10.11?

You have said that the earlier cards would have been a better choice for Windows 2000, but unfortunately I was not offered the choice of these, at the shop where I made my purchase. So, I will do the best I can with the one I have.

Let me know if you see anything wrong with what I have written above, and also let me know if you have any comments about the empty 'Models' box causing the driver installation to 'hang' (see the quoted post, just before this one).

If you've ever seen this happen before, then you must have devised some kind of work-around, to permit the installation to continue. I think whatever you did will have a better chance of working right, than what I came up with.

Edit: The problem was ... printed adhesive label on the board had a wrong Device ID.  Correct ID was obtained by accessing board with utility program.

Edited by RonCam
New information