ATI Radeon Driver for Windows 2000

blackwingcat

Hi.

It is wrong.(and dangerous)

there are these two files in ati1011w2k.

You had only better to select the target folder "ati1011w2k\B107327".

I tried ati1011w2k (edited) and got two missing file errors during installation, went ahead anyway, and wound up with a driver that crashed immediately during boot. On the second time, I found the first missing file in a folder one level down, and the other in a folder in the ati11-07w2k subdirectory (from the other version). I was able to direct the installer to these files so it accepted them (these were ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_) and then completed without error.

Additional, HD Audio Driver perhaps requires KB888111.

You must install it. :)

Edited by blackwingcat

Hi blackwingcat,

Sorry, I do not understand. What is wrong and dangerous? What you quoted below?

I tried ati1011w2k (edited [according to BWC's directions]) and got two missing file errors during installation, went ahead anyway, and wound up with a driver that crashed immediately during boot. On the second time, I found the first missing file in a folder one level down, and the other in a folder in the ati11-07w2k subdirectory (from the other version). I was able to direct the installer to these files so it accepted them (these were ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_) and then completed without error.

Or, what immediately followed the section you quoted?

It was then that I turned to ati11-07w2k, which loaded without errors, allowed the OS to boot without a crash, and then produced a normal Desktop.

It is the second quote from the same post that describes how Windows 2000 is presently running with the new graphics card.

I only tried to install the ati1011w2k (edited) driver twice, and after noting the Desktop display (see image in original post) I thought it would be a good idea to go to a different and unmodified (by me) BWC driver, to see what would happen.

Incidentally, unlike the previous attempt, I was not presented with a blank 'Models' box during driver installation, so the earlier problem did not arise.

In other words: the ASUS EAH5450 SILENT graphics card is now installed, and is working equally well, whether I boot into Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 7 Professional.

In Windows 2000, all graphics functions are normal, just as with the X300 card, except that the periodic system crashes are gone. The GPU temperature for the EAH5450 in Windows 2000 does not exceed 51ºC, and is occasionally less.

Did you mean to say there could still be some problem in Windows 2000, that could cause 'damage'?

Edited by RonCam

RonCam, could you run a GPU benchmark (maybe 3DMark06?) under both systems and compare the results? I think it may be interesting :)

I'm not sure if '06 works in Win2k... If not then maybe '05 or '2003?

Edited by tomasz86

... could you run a GPU benchmark (maybe 3DMark06?) under both systems [Windows 2000 and Windows7 Professional] and compare the results?

Yes, will give that a try and edit to insert the results.

I think it will have to be 05 -- the system requirements for 06 are not disclosed in plain text -- the link for this instead takes you to a screen where you are asked to run a "Game-O-Meter" -- which fails to run.

Hi.

It was sound like when you used ATI Driver version 10.11, you could not found ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_ and you copy from 11.7 driver..

Is it miss understand for me ?

If it is so, you must use 10.11 folder's file, because these file exists in folder.

Additional.

If you have installed .Net 2.0SP2 in your PC

Please use the Calalist Control Center and change manually the GPU Fan Speed about 40%.

Then the GPU temperature will go down about 40 C degree.

Hi blackwingcat,

Sorry, I do not understand. What is wrong and dangerous? What you quoted below?

I tried ati1011w2k (edited [according to BWC's directions]) and got two missing file errors during installation, went ahead anyway, and wound up with a driver that crashed immediately during boot. On the second time, I found the first missing file in a folder one level down, and the other in a folder in the ati11-07w2k subdirectory (from the other version). I was able to direct the installer to these files so it accepted them (these were ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_) and then completed without error.

Or, what immediately followed the section you quoted?

It was then that I turned to ati11-07w2k, which loaded without errors, allowed the OS to boot without a crash, and then produced a normal Desktop.

It is the second quote from the same post that describes how Windows 2000 is presently running with the new graphics card.

I only tried to install the ati1011w2k (edited) driver twice, and after noting the Desktop display (see image in original post) I thought it would be a good idea to go to a different and unmodified (by me) BWC driver, to see what would happen.

Incidentally, unlike the previous attempt, I was not presented with a blank 'Models' box during driver installation, so the earlier problem did not arise.

In other words: the ASUS EAH5450 SILENT graphics card is now installed, and is working equally well, whether I boot into Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 7 Professional.

In Windows 2000, all graphics functions are normal, just as with the X300 card, except that the periodic system crashes are gone. The GPU temperature for the EAH5450 in Windows 2000 does not exceed 51ºC, and is occasionally less.

Did you mean to say there could still be some problem in Windows 2000, that could cause 'damage'?

I bought 3DMark06 before.

And run on my PC.

Here is the article.

RonCam, could you run a GPU benchmark (maybe 3DMark06?) under both systems and compare the results? I think it may be interesting :)

I'm not sure if '06 works in Win2k... If not then maybe '05 or '2003?

... could you run a GPU benchmark ...

Yes, will give that a try ... .

I think I should try to understand blackwingcat's remarks about the driver I'm running in Windows 2000, before running a GPU benchmark. He said the driver I now am running may be 'wrong and dangerous' so I should correct this before doing anything that could stress the GPU. Don't want to blow out the card ... :blushing:

I will have to review what I installed to may sure there are no typos in my posts. Also, I will have to look for Windows 2000 system information to confirm exactly what I did install. I would hope the installed version number should be visible ... somewhere.

Edited by RonCam

Hi, blackwingcat,

It was sound like when you used ATI Driver version 10.11, you could not found ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_ and you copy from 11.7 driver..

... change manually the GPU Fan Speed about 40%. Then the GPU temperature will go down about 40 C degree.

On the first point, you are saying that I could not have found the files I mentioned, if I had the right driver version ... so let me check again to see if I have the downloads mislabeled.

On the second point, the EAH5450 SILENT has no fan ... I should do a search to see what the acceptable range of temperatures is, for this board.

Well, I know.

I think perhaps the Driver manager only missfound the driver current directory.

So I said , you had better select the driver folder again.

On the first point, you are saying that I could not have found the files I mentioned, if I had the right driver version ... so let me check again to see if I have the downloads mislabeled.

• 2 months later...

I have ATI HD 3450 PCIe - video card and Windows 2000 Pro SP4. The old ATI V3100 video card got broken, so I`d need to get this combination working. Cannot either upgrade to XP due to software license issues (3rd party).

I´ve tried to get that video card working with these backward (from Windows XP to Windows 2000) ported drivers. No luck.

With v 8.10, it says "Error code 31" in the device manager. ("depended drivers missing")

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/571484.html

For v8.12, v9.2, v9.4, v9.8, v9.11, v10.2, v10.7, v10.10, v11.7; ALL which I`ve tried, the machine just gets BSOD when it boots the first time after installing some of those drivers. Next time the w2k-machine boots in VGA-mode and says it has found a new PCI device (the video card) and would want to install the driver for it.

In ntbtlog.txt I see it always says "ati2mtag.sys is not loaded".

ati2mtag.sys is "ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver", says filemanager properties.

How to debug this issue further and maybe get the driver working?

I guess some drivers which backported ATI driver depends on, is missing.

How to know what is missing? I think the "boot with logging on" doesn't quite work either. It seems to tell about the recovery boot after the failed one and not the failed one.

Edited by zimon

Hi, zimon,

the machine just gets BSOD when it boots the first time after installing some of those drivers

This happened to me, too, until I visited Windows Update and installed all the hotfixes available (Update Rollup v2, included) for Windows 2000.

Now, the BWC drivers install without any BSOD's on reboot.

regards, AndyA

Hi, blackwingcat,

Thanks for your outstanding effort to keep W2K alive.

I am trying to install drivers for an ATI HD4350 PCIe, (VEN_1002&DEV_954F) connected to an LCD via the DVI connector under W2K (fully patched).

I've tried most of your drivers, without success.

The drivers install without any obvious errors, but if I try to change screen resolution or color quality, the monitor goes black. On reboot, W2K reverts to the default VGA driver and complains that the driver that was just installed has been disabled because it's for a previous Windows version.

Do you have any suggestions to get one of the driver packages to install correctly?

regards, AndyA

• 2 weeks later...

It usually occurs when you install wrong driver at first .

Can you find your VGA Device ID ?

VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX

Hi blackwingcat, hope you are still watiching the thread. I have not seen this question answered earlier.

I have expanded your driver file ati5k2k1.zip, hoping to run an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT PCIE2. I first followed instructions from elsewhere on the 'net to completely clean my system of the old (Sapphire Radeon X300) ATI driver/software remnants.

My system is Windows 2000 Professional SP4+.

When following your directions to install your modified driver, while in the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard, I am seeing an extra screen not mentioned, causing a problem:

Select the manufacturer and model of your hardware ...

followed by an empty box titled 'Models:'

Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.

There is a 'Have Disk' button here, as well, but if I enter the same information as you previously told us to do, that is accepted, but it loops back to this same screen, from which there is no exit.

What can I do to complete the installation of your driver? I feel I am so close, yet so far ... :huh:

:) Thanks for your driver and for your help.

• 2 months later...

Hi, blackwingcat,

I can confirm that your driver version 12.4(AGP+HDMI) dated 2012-6-24 does work correctly for the ATI HD4350 PCIe, (VEN_1002&DEV_954F). Previous driver versions may also work correctly, but this was not tested.

The drivers install without any obvious errors, but if I try to change screen resolution or color quality, the monitor goes black.

I found the cause of this problem. The black screen was due to connection of the HDMI port to a HD TV. If both the DVI and HDMI cables are connected, all ATI drivers (even the production versions) appear to default to the HDMI connection at some point after a fresh driver install. The solution is to install the driver, reboot to a black screen, disconnect the HDMI cable, allow the monitor to be detected, and then reconnect the HDMI cable. The monitor should be correctly detected thereafter.

Note that the default audio device may be set to HDMI rear output and may need to be reset to the speakers connected to the motherboard sound card.

Thanks to your drivers, I can now use my W2K install with video drivers that provide appropriate screen resolution.

regards, AndyA