ATI Radeon Driver for Windows 2000

blackwingcat

Hi, blackwingcat and all others,

first off all a great Thanks to you for your marvelous work here.

I read this thread an also your Blog with lots of good information.

The folowing Problem i have, investigated already about a week in searching and testing many drivers.

My Configuration:

Laptop Toshiba Satellite P300-1BN with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470

PCI Data: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_95C4&SUBSYS_FF501179

Toshiba itself only supports Win XP and up.

installed for the testing environment:

Win2k SP4

Update Rollup 1 V2 (no BSOD with kernel function anymore)

Windows2000-KB888111-x86-ENU.exe

I also patched a lot of driver inf file to install the video Driver.

But when installed, either i got immediatly a blank screen with blinking cursor,

or when i have to reboot, after the boot screen when initializing the ati2mag.sys

screnn stays at the boot screen an loding continues with no screen output.

Always got the same result, driver is loading but no screen Output.

The only driver (installed by inf) is the on of this packet:

12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe from AMD

It's still booting with GUI but no connection from CCC possible.

i think that ati2mtag.sys i loaded but of a problem vga.sys is used

Is there something in the registry to influence the driver for some output lines to use?

i like win2k so much, and would have to change more things when moving to XP and up.

I appreciate any help and would also pay for it.

Greeting from Germany

Andreas

Edited by user8342

Hi tomasz86

thanks for your help.

Tried them already.

just tried them again. Cleaned everything with Driversweeper and installed the driver from ati1105w2k.cab

ati1107w2k.cab dosn't work because of the missing "Mobility" Strings for the Mobile Versions.

same result, after loading the driver just flickering but boot screen stays and the system continues a little bit. But no startup sound.

Should i try 1107 with the inf of 05?

Maybe one point - i recognized often when the system is hanging - a BSOD occurs when i connect a HDMI Screen in that moment.

When i installed XP testwise - everything went fine.

Any suggestions maybe debugging something?

update:

some hints found today...

used the Prog reforce, maybe it's from blackwingcat's page - tool to set default screen.

in my old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 there are 3 Screen Options under "Screens" (German: Monitore)

in the Device Manager of the P300, nothing there - is the driver getting some Information from that entry's in Device Manager?

DALNonStandardModesBCD1 Setting in the [ati2mtag_M76_SoftwareDeviceSettings] Area - does this has to do with the default Settings, because in the original XP Inf from Toshiba, you can find screen resolution, that aren't in the blackwingcat's driver inf.

end of update.

Hopefully

Andreas

Edited by user8342

Frankly speaking, I don't really know how to solve this problem. The one thing which I can say for sure is that you cannot use the official drivers from AMD because they require the unofficial kernel to work. Is your system German?

How about trying out the older versions of the drivers? At the moment I'm not using an ATI/AMD graphic card but before I had some success with the 9.x drivers (you can find them on the BlackWingCat's blog).

Edited by tomasz86

yes my system is a german w2k - try all the version fromBlackWingCat's blog at the moment.

can you say a few words to "they require the unofficial kernel to work"

with normal w2k kernel it's impossible, and therfore BlackWingCat Versions are patched to go around the problem? Or you mean, the missing function in kernel solved with Update Rollup 1 V2?

Maybe BlackWingCat will give me some hints. Kernel Debugging, Softice etc i already used in past, but i'm not so familier with screen-drivers.

if i solve i will tell here, otherwise i have to go to XP....

Thanks

with normal w2k kernel it's impossible, and therfore BlackWingCat Versions are patched to go around the problem?

This is exactly what I mean. When the unofficial kernel is used then you should be able to just use the official drivers for XP but without it you must use the ones modified by BlackWingCat.

If your system were in English then I'd just recommend installing the kernel but as it's in German there's no other way than just trying to install all of the BlackWingCat's drivers one by one until you find a working one. In fact, you can "forcefully" install the unofficial kernel in a German system but then some parts of the system will change into English.

Hi tomasz86,

thanks i would give this a try, first i look for a SP4 English version. Where to get this unofficial Kernel.

When installing XP, everything work fine. with the same driver failing under w2k.

i will inform u.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for your work. The Version 9.8 driver worked well for me. It even managed to to run a legacy DirectX game "Tonka Space Station", which didn't run before.

However, I also received the dialog box with an empty list of Models. But it occurred only after attempting to install different versions of Catalyst and subsequently removing them. This appears to be a problem with Win2000 because I've never seen it on XP. I resolved the situation by selecting any built in driver (Match64 in my case) and installing it. After a reboot the driver obviously fails to start. But it now became possible to "Update" it with the correct version of Catalyst, and the exact same INF was now read correctly and the Models described in it were shown.

I do not recommend this unofficial update for Radeon R3xx for which support existed in Catalyst 6.2 because of inferior OpenGL performance in 16-bit.

I tend to agree, however, that choosing Win2k over XP has more disadvantages than gains. Anyone desiring to avoid the "fatness" of NT 5.1 should also consider the applications and other drivers, which are just as bloated graphically and code-wise these days. (For example this driver, that of Intel graphics or Realtek audio.) The "support" and "security" updates offered by Microsoft are not of direct concern, but the general perception that updating is essential has created a situation where 3rd party software stops being compatible and tested with older OS versions. Even when applications are not by any means graphical, they tend to link to uxtheme and gdiplus for no reason other than planned obsolescence... The set of software that works on NT 5.1 is considerably greater. I still chose Win2k today as a secondary OS.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone...I'd like to ask for some basic directions for installing drivers for my Asus AH3450 AGP card. I've downloaded from BlackWingCat the zip file for ATI Radeon 2009/06/05 version 9.4(release 2), but other than the obvious .inf files inside, I don't see any kind of setup file to start with. And there's a sub-directory full of files with .dl_ and .sy_ extensions, and other files, that I'm not sure what to do with.

How would I proceed with this installation? I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Unofficial Update Rollup 2, and Unofficial Update v11 (weekly 2013/03/23). And .NET Framework 1-4.

Also, do I need to uninstall the current driver(s) for the Radeon 7500 card first? Or can I have drivers for both cards installed at the same time?

John

How would I proceed with this installation? I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Unofficial Update Rollup 2, and Unofficial Update v11 (weekly 2013/03/23). And .NET Framework 1-4.

You need to use the system Device Manager to install the driver. It's usually not necessary to uninstall the previous one but you may want to do it to keep everything clean :)

Well, all kinds of problems after installing the AH3450 drives from bwc(blackwingcat). The basic one is that the device isn't working and the error message is "the device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31). The AH3450 was shown in Device Manager, no yellow exclamation mark. I checked the drivers installed, there were many, and I could match at least 8 with those in the zip file from bwc. As far as I could tell, they were all working even though the error message and reality says otherwise(I was stuck in low resolution mode).

I replaced the AH3450 card with my original one and after rebooting the AH3450 was gone from the Device Manager, even though I never removed or disabled it. You'll see why that's not good because the other problem is that I now have a no sound condition, and when I try to open the Volume Control I get an error message that "there are no active mixer devices available, you may install mixer devices from Add/Remove etc..." There is also no vol control icon in the lower right task bar, and in Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia, the Sound Volume slider is pegged on low and greyed out, as is the box to show volume control on the task bar.

Checking in Device Manager, under Legacy Audio Drivers, there are 33 mixer devices and the ones I checked were all said to be working properly...and no yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

I uninstalled the integrated sound card, rebooted and reinstalled it. Still the no sound problem. Now, I'd like to make sure the AH3450 drivers are uninstalled but as I mentioned they've disappeared from Device Manager. So I'm stuck and if anyone has any suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting these problems, I'd sure appreciate them.

John

Now, I'd like to make sure the AH3450 drivers are uninstalled but as I mentioned they've disappeared from Device Manager. So I'm stuck and if anyone has any suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting these problems, I'd sure appreciate them.

John

Would this make them visible?

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241257/en-us

jaclaz

Hi, I lost this thread for a long time.

Did you know your Graphic card Vendor id and Device id ?

You can get it from registry.

Hi everyone...I'd like to ask for some basic directions for installing drivers for my Asus AH3450 AGP card. I've downloaded from BlackWingCat the zip file for ATI Radeon 2009/06/05 version 9.4(release 2), but other than the obvious .inf files inside, I don't see any kind of setup file to start with. And there's a sub-directory full of files with .dl_ and .sy_ extensions, and other files, that I'm not sure what to do with.

Hi blackwingcat, I searched my registry but couldn't find anything about the vendor id or device id. But if you've read the previous post about my troubles, you know that I failed with the installation of my Asus AH3450 agp card. I un-installed it and re-installed the older card (ATI Radeon 7500), which left me with no volume control (and no volume). So perhaps uninstalling the failed installation removed the vendor and device id from the registry.

Later...I just found someone (who has the same card) identifying it as device id: 95C6 (or 0x95c6 ) . Asus is the only one who made an AGP version of the AH3450. I think the Asus id is: Vendor 0x1043 - ASUS

I'm also reading (from the same conversation: (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-90983.html) that ATI only made drivers for the PCI-Express version of the AH3450. The PCI-Express device id is 0x95c5 . Perhaps your AH3450 drivers are from ATI and therefore only for the PCI-Express version of this card. Or are they from Asus?

John