ATI Radeon Driver for Windows 2000

blackwingcat

Looking at bwc's blog (http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/571484.html ) I see that the file I downloaded (9.4 release 2) is for HD3650/3450agp . I believe the HD prefix was used(HD3450) for the pci-express version, whereas AH3450 was used for the AGP version. So I'm still confused by this. Also, the next file listed is 9.5a(release2)(AGP Fix) and I wonder if what it fixed could be related to my failed installation.

Anyone know the answer to this?

Sorry, I forget it.

At first look %systemroot%\inf

and delete all oem*.inf which includes ati radeon driver profile.

and you can test 2 kinds driver.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/571484.html

ATI Standard Driver.

and

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/967121.html

ATI Legacy Driver.

Additional information... I released AMD radeon Driver 13.4 for Windows 2000 extended kernel.

Hi blackwingcat, I searched my registry but couldn't find anything about the vendor id or device id. But if you've read the previous post about my troubles, you know that I failed with the installation of my Asus AH3450 agp card. I un-installed it and re-installed the older card (ATI Radeon 7500), which left me with no volume control (and no volume). So perhaps uninstalling the failed installation removed the vendor and device id from the registry.

Later...I just found someone (who has the same card) identifying it as device id: 95C6 (or 0x95c6 ) . Asus is the only one who made an AGP version of the AH3450. I think the Asus id is: Vendor 0x1043 - ASUS

I'm also reading (from the same conversation: (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-90983.html) that ATI only made drivers for the PCI-Express version of the AH3450. The PCI-Express device id is 0x95c5 . Perhaps your AH3450 drivers are from ATI and therefore only for the PCI-Express version of this card. Or are they from Asus?

John

• 6 months later...

Hi blackwingcat. I am in need of your expertise. I recently got an ATI Sapphire Radeon 250 R7 card and need it to run in Windows 2000. I have tried using the converter you made on multiple versions of driver install packages, tried just about every possible manual way to get it up and running, but no luck.

Another issue is that the monitor I'm using is a newer LG now, and Windows 2000 doesn't seem to like it at all either. I'm stuck in 640x480 and 16 colors with no way to change the resolution. It is also DVI-D. Is there any way to make a driver to work with this? I need Windows 2000 to do my job, newer versions of Win don't support the hardware I need to use. Is it possible to make an R7 250 driver for Windows 2000?

• 2 months later...

Hi, Which driver did you use ?

Did you use Extended Kernel Core ?

You should tell me more information.

Perhaps I can create imperfection driver for Windows 2000. But I think there is no value in creating cause of imperfection.

Hi blackwingcat. I am in need of your expertise. I recently got an ATI Sapphire Radeon 250 R7 card and need it to run in Windows 2000. I have tried using the converter you made on multiple versions of driver install packages, tried just about every possible manual way to get it up and running, but no luck.

Another issue is that the monitor I'm using is a newer LG now, and Windows 2000 doesn't seem to like it at all either. I'm stuck in 640x480 and 16 colors with no way to change the resolution. It is also DVI-D. Is there any way to make a driver to work with this? I need Windows 2000 to do my job, newer versions of Win don't support the hardware I need to use. Is it possible to make an R7 250 driver for Windows 2000?

• 1 year later...

This post is purely informative, for anyone following this thread:  I had to return to an operating system image, taken before the blackwingcat drivers were installed, and in repeating the steps to install them, I found out why the Device Manager Device selection box was empty. 

The problem is with ATI not being able to keep their DevIDs 'straight', and not with the way the drivers were modified.  The quotes below describe the original problem, and the solution follows, below the quoted posts:

Select the manufacturer and model of your hardware ...
followed by an empty box titled 'Models:'
Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.

If you've never seen this before, then let me know that as well. Perhaps it will not repeat when I go to a higher driver in the 10.x series?

Thanks!

... and also let me know if you have any comments about the empty 'Models' box causing the driver installation to 'hang' (see the quoted post, just before this one).

I think most stable driver is 10.5. or 10.7. But 10.11 may also be stable. [edit: the stable one is 10.7.]

Because I don't know your VGA DEVICE ID, I can't tell you for sure...

Hi blackwingcat,
Thanks for the continuing advice. Are these the correct numbers, that you're looking for, in this list?

• Identification numbers for my VGA ASUS RADEON HD5450 Silent 512MB HDMI/DDR2PCIE2 card:
  • Vendor ID: 0x1002
  • Device ID: 0x68E1
smile.gif Thanks again!

The problem, the reason MS Window's driver upgrade would not 'see' the card ... is that the ATI driver package's .inf file is supplying the wrong DeviceID number.  If the numbers don't match, Windows 'thinks' the system lacks the right card, for the package.  Blackwingcat, is this the way it works? :huh:

In the 10.07 package, I opened its .inf file for the graphics adapter and saw the line for "Radeon 5400 series" (there are no entries for the individual cards, just for the 'series') gives a different DevID number that the one above, that I gave to blackwingcat.  But, I had not made a mistake -- it was copied correctly, from a label pasted to the card. 

The online 'Device ID - Vendor ID' databases are all giving a DevID# that matches the one in ATI's .inf file.  But this is different from the one on the card's label.

Then, wondering which was correct, I found a utility (in HBCD/DVD v15.2) that reads a card's DevID number, directly, and it gave me a number that matched the one given on the card's written label.

Solution: with a text editor, I changed the package's DevID# for 'Radeon 5400 Series' -- from the one given in all the 'official databases' -- to the one that the utility read, directly from my card, itself. 

Now, the Driver Upgrade Device Selection box was populated with all the selections from the .inf file, I was able to select the '5400 series', <Enter>, and the driver files were copied and installed, the expected behavior. 

Reason for this post:  to thank blackwingcat for all his hard work by sharing  a solution to a problem, that no one would have suspected: some adapter cards can have DevID's that differ from what's given on the official lists, as well as the driver packages provided by the manufacturer.  The installation won't work, until the user discovers the card's real number, and makes the number in the driver package match the one the system is reading, from the card itself. 

Edited by RonCam

It would be nice if you could name the specific tool you used instead of the WAREZ that include it.

jaclaz

Thanks for your interest!  I don't know how common, or uncommon it is for the DevID on an individual card to vary from what the driver's manufacturer thinks it should be.  

The source for most or all of what's on the repair/recovery disc is SAC Diagnostic Utilities, and since some of the menu selections didn't even run on my system, and some gave blank DevID fields, not sure if there's a specific utility that will be satisfactory, for everyone.  

I was working from the from the System Information Tools section, and I just went down the menu, running each one in sequence, until one gave me the DevID.  From what I saw, I'm not sure if there's one single utility that will work for each different system. 

If someone wants to try sequential-downloads from the above-linked site, rather than going from one menu selection to the next, then begin with this one, and proceed from there.  My best guess ... 

If you have a dual, or multiple boot setup, you don't need to use a boot-disc or hunt for the right download -- you just type this, at terminal.  

Note the DevID number this command produces.  That DevID is totally absent from ATI's .inf file, so the installer acts as if the card doesn't exist on the system. 

sudo lshw -numeric -C display  *-display                      description: VGA compatible controller       product: Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430] [1002:68E1]       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] [1002]       physical id: 0       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0       version: 00       width: 64 bits       clock: 33MHz       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom       configuration: driver=radeon latency=0       resources: irq:65 memory:c0000000-cfffffff memory:ff4e0000-ff4fffff ioport:c000(size=256) memory:ff4c0000-ff4dffff

I found no equivalent command for Microsoft operating systems.  Not to say it doesn't exist, maybe I just couldn't find it.  :thumbdown

Edited by RonCam

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of Radeon drivers for Windows 2000, is it likely/possible that the kernel upgrade in Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20140103-x86-ENU along with the XP program compatibility feature ... would permit a 'stock' ATI driver to function?  This is with reference to an EAH5450 graphics adaptor.

I'm curious to learn if anyone has had this experience --

or are the blackwingcat modifications still the only way to get this type of card to work, in Windows 2000?

• 2 weeks later...

download ati1011w2k.zip and ati1107w2k.cab.

and copy ati1107w2k.cab's inf file to the folder which you extracted ati1011w2k.zip.

and change to the inf file's Driver version following.

DriverVer=10/26/2010, 8.791.0.0000

and try to use ati1011w2k.

Good luck.

Thanks very much.  I just now had to follow the directions a second time.

Here's some feedback that may be helpful to others who have to modify the installation packages in the same way.

Is there something missing from the directory, B107327?

The installer threw up an error message, that a file was missing, when it was 'copying files' -- and the file was:

• ativvamy.dl_

I hit 'retry' and no luck, then did a separate search through that folder -- and then through other folders I had downloaded -- and the search failed to find the file.

I located the driver disc that came with the adapter, looked in the XP driver directory, found the file, and copied it into above directory.  Then, uninstalled and reinstalled the BWC modified driver, and this time going to completion without an error.

One other thing, I searched through the .inf file for two relevant entries for my card: 5000 series, and I also saw 5450 series.  Both had a DevID that didn't match my card, so this was fixed before the installation was started. 

I was offered a choice of two drivers by the installer: the 'recommended' one didn't work, so I uninstalled that, and on the second try selected 'Mobility Radeon'.  That one worked. 

So thanks again for the drivers, the card is again working in Windows 2000. 

Edited by RonCam

• 2 months later...

This is an old thread but I'll try anyway. In latest firefox nightlies the developers removed the ability to disable OOPP and so now flash is hopelessly unusable on many sites with the 9.12 legacy drivers.

blackwingcat is unable to test the XP 13.1 legacy drivers on 2000 so would anyone have any idea what needs to be done to hack them to install? Hopefully with the newer drivers flash hardware acceleration will function, unlike with the 9.12 drivers

• 1 year later...

BWC, I just made a new thread in w2k about this, but I was wondering if you could support the Radeon HD 2400xt (Mobility?) present in the Aluminum iMac in these drivers. I believe it's:

"ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT" = ati2mtag_M72, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C8&SUBSYS_0084106B

If you don't have any catalyst drivers that support this device I could send some to you to look at.

Thanks.

edit: just kidding, found in in 11 v5

Edited by eksu

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...