Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

ATI Radeon Driver for Windows 2000

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
Hi.

It was sound like when you used ATI Driver version 10.11, you could not found ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_ and you copy from 11.7 driver..

Is it miss understand for me ?
If it is so, you must use 10.11 folder's file, because these file exists in folder.

Additional.
If you have installed .Net 2.0SP2 in your PC
Please use the Calalist Control Center and change manually the GPU Fan Speed about 40%.
Then the GPU temperature will go down about 40 C degree.

Hi blackwingcat,
Sorry, I do not understand. What is wrong and dangerous? What you quoted below?

It is wrong.(and dangerous)

I tried ati1011w2k (edited [according to BWC's directions]) and got two missing file errors during installation, went ahead anyway, and wound up with a driver that crashed immediately during boot. On the second time, I found the first missing file in a folder one level down, and the other in a folder in the ati11-07w2k subdirectory (from the other version). I was able to direct the installer to these files so it accepted them (these were ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_) and then completed without error.

Or, what immediately followed the section you quoted?

It was then that I turned to ati11-07w2k, which loaded without errors, allowed the OS to boot without a crash, and then produced a normal Desktop.

It is the second quote from the same post that describes how Windows 2000 is presently running with the new graphics card.

I only tried to install the ati1011w2k (edited) driver twice, and after noting the Desktop display (see image in original post) I thought it would be a good idea to go to a different and unmodified (by me) BWC driver, to see what would happen.

Incidentally, unlike the previous attempt, I was not presented with a blank 'Models' box during driver installation, so the earlier problem did not arise.

In other words: the ASUS EAH5450 SILENT graphics card is now installed, and is working equally well, whether I boot into Windows 2000 Professional or Windows 7 Professional.

In Windows 2000, all graphics functions are normal, just as with the X300 card, except that the periodic system crashes are gone. The GPU temperature for the EAH5450 in Windows 2000 does not exceed 51ÂșC, and is occasionally less.

Did you mean to say there could still be some problem in Windows 2000, that could cause 'damage'?

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
BlackWingCat =^^=
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
I bought 3DMark06 before.
And run on my PC.

Here is the article.

RonCam, could you run a GPU benchmark (maybe 3DMark06?) under both systems and compare the results? I think it may be interesting :)

I'm not sure if '06 works in Win2k... If not then maybe '05 or '2003?

BlackWingCat =^^=

RonCam

RonCam

• 23 posts

... could you run a GPU benchmark ...

Yes, will give that a try ... .

I think I should try to understand blackwingcat's remarks about the driver I'm running in Windows 2000, before running a GPU benchmark. He said the driver I now am running may be 'wrong and dangerous' so I should correct this before doing anything that could stress the GPU. Don't want to blow out the card ... :blushing:

I will have to review what I installed to may sure there are no typos in my posts. Also, I will have to look for Windows 2000 system information to confirm exactly what I did install. I would hope the installed version number should be visible ... somewhere.

Edited by RonCam, 09 February 2012 - 08:52 AM.

RonCam

RonCam

• 23 posts
Hi, blackwingcat,

It was sound like when you used ATI Driver version 10.11, you could not found ati2mtag.sy_ and ativvamv.dl_ and you copy from 11.7 driver..

... change manually the GPU Fan Speed about 40%. Then the GPU temperature will go down about 40 C degree.

On the first point, you are saying that I could not have found the files I mentioned, if I had the right driver version ... so let me check again to see if I have the downloads mislabeled.

On the second point, the EAH5450 SILENT has no fan ... I should do a search to see what the acceptable range of temperatures is, for this board.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
Well, I know.
I think perhaps the Driver manager only missfound the driver current directory.
So I said , you had better select the driver folder again.

On the first point, you are saying that I could not have found the files I mentioned, if I had the right driver version ... so let me check again to see if I have the downloads mislabeled.

BlackWingCat =^^=

zimon

zimon
  • 1 posts
I have ATI HD 3450 PCIe - video card and Windows 2000 Pro SP4. The old ATI V3100 video card got broken, so I`d need to get this combination working. Cannot either upgrade to XP due to software license issues (3rd party).

I´ve tried to get that video card working with these backward (from Windows XP to Windows 2000) ported drivers. No luck.

With v 8.10, it says "Error code 31" in the device manager. ("depended drivers missing")

http://blog.livedoor...ves/571484.html
For v8.12, v9.2, v9.4, v9.8, v9.11, v10.2, v10.7, v10.10, v11.7; ALL which I`ve tried, the machine just gets BSOD when it boots the first time after installing some of those drivers. Next time the w2k-machine boots in VGA-mode and says it has found a new PCI device (the video card) and would want to install the driver for it.

In ntbtlog.txt I see it always says "ati2mtag.sys is not loaded".
ati2mtag.sys is "ATI Radeon WindowsNT Miniport Driver", says filemanager properties.

How to debug this issue further and maybe get the driver working?

I guess some drivers which backported ATI driver depends on, is missing.
How to know what is missing? I think the "boot with logging on" doesn't quite work either. It seems to tell about the recovery boot after the failed one and not the failed one.

Edited by zimon, 16 April 2012 - 09:20 AM.

AndyA

AndyA
  • 3 posts
Hi, zimon,

the machine just gets BSOD when it boots the first time after installing some of those drivers

This happened to me, too, until I visited Windows Update and installed all the hotfixes available (Update Rollup v2, included) for Windows 2000.

Now, the BWC drivers install without any BSOD's on reboot.

regards, AndyA

AndyA

AndyA
  • 3 posts
Hi, blackwingcat,

Thanks for your outstanding effort to keep W2K alive.

I am trying to install drivers for an ATI HD4350 PCIe, (VEN_1002&DEV_954F) connected to an LCD via the DVI connector under W2K (fully patched).

I've tried most of your drivers, without success.

The drivers install without any obvious errors, but if I try to change screen resolution or color quality, the monitor goes black. On reboot, W2K reverts to the default VGA driver and complains that the driver that was just installed has been disabled because it's for a previous Windows version.

Do you have any suggestions to get one of the driver packages to install correctly?

regards, AndyA

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
It usually occurs when you install wrong driver at first .

Can you find your VGA Device ID ?

VEN_XXXX&DEV_XXXX

Hi blackwingcat, hope you are still watiching the thread. I have not seen this question answered earlier.

I have expanded your driver file ati5k2k1.zip, hoping to run an ASUS EAH5450 SILENT PCIE2. I first followed instructions from elsewhere on the 'net to completely clean my system of the old (Sapphire Radeon X300) ATI driver/software remnants.

My system is Windows 2000 Professional SP4+.

When following your directions to install your modified driver, while in the Upgrade Device Driver Wizard, I am seeing an extra screen not mentioned, causing a problem:

Select the manufacturer and model of your hardware ...
followed by an empty box titled 'Models:'
Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.

There is a 'Have Disk' button here, as well, but if I enter the same information as you previously told us to do, that is accepted, but it loops back to this same screen, from which there is no exit.

What can I do to complete the installation of your driver? I feel I am so close, yet so far ... :huh:

:) Thanks for your driver and for your help.

BlackWingCat =^^=

AndyA

AndyA
  • 3 posts
Hi, blackwingcat,

I can confirm that your driver version 12.4(AGP+HDMI) dated 2012-6-24 does work correctly for the ATI HD4350 PCIe, (VEN_1002&DEV_954F). Previous driver versions may also work correctly, but this was not tested.

The drivers install without any obvious errors, but if I try to change screen resolution or color quality, the monitor goes black.

I found the cause of this problem. The black screen was due to connection of the HDMI port to a HD TV. If both the DVI and HDMI cables are connected, all ATI drivers (even the production versions) appear to default to the HDMI connection at some point after a fresh driver install. The solution is to install the driver, reboot to a black screen, disconnect the HDMI cable, allow the monitor to be detected, and then reconnect the HDMI cable. The monitor should be correctly detected thereafter.

Note that the default audio device may be set to HDMI rear output and may need to be reset to the speakers connected to the motherboard sound card.

Thanks to your drivers, I can now use my W2K install with video drivers that provide appropriate screen resolution.

regards, AndyA

user8342

user8342
  • 4 posts
Hi, blackwingcat and all others,

first off all a great Thanks to you for your marvelous work here.

I read this thread an also your Blog with lots of good information.

The folowing Problem i have, investigated already about a week in searching and testing many drivers.

My Configuration:

Laptop Toshiba Satellite P300-1BN with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470
PCI Data: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_95C4&SUBSYS_FF501179

Toshiba itself only supports Win XP and up.

installed for the testing environment:
Win2k SP4
Update Rollup 1 V2 (no BSOD with kernel function anymore)
Windows2000-KB888111-x86-ENU.exe

I also patched a lot of driver inf file to install the video Driver.

But when installed, either i got immediatly a blank screen with blinking cursor,
or when i have to reboot, after the boot screen when initializing the ati2mag.sys
screnn stays at the boot screen an loding continues with no screen output.

Always got the same result, driver is loading but no screen Output.

The only driver (installed by inf) is the on of this packet:

12-6-legacy_xp32_dd_ccc_whql.exe from AMD

It's still booting with GUI but no connection from CCC possible.

i think that ati2mtag.sys i loaded but of a problem vga.sys is used

Is there something in the registry to influence the driver for some output lines to use?

i like win2k so much, and would have to change more things when moving to XP and up.

I appreciate any help and would also pay for it.

Greeting from Germany

Andreas

Edited by user8342, 01 October 2012 - 02:53 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
@user8342
You must use the BlackWingCat's drivers (links in the first post), not the official ones.
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

user8342

user8342
  • 4 posts
Hi tomasz86

thanks for your help.

Tried them already.

just tried them again. Cleaned everything with Driversweeper and installed the driver from ati1105w2k.cab

ati1107w2k.cab dosn't work because of the missing "Mobility" Strings for the Mobile Versions.

same result, after loading the driver just flickering but boot screen stays and the system continues a little bit. But no startup sound.

Should i try 1107 with the inf of 05?

Maybe one point - i recognized often when the system is hanging - a BSOD occurs when i connect a HDMI Screen in that moment.

When i installed XP testwise - everything went fine.

Any suggestions maybe debugging something?

update:

some hints found today...

used the Prog reforce, maybe it's from blackwingcat's page - tool to set default screen.
in my old Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 there are 3 Screen Options under "Screens" (German: Monitore)

in the Device Manager of the P300, nothing there - is the driver getting some Information from that entry's in Device Manager?

DALNonStandardModesBCD1 Setting in the [ati2mtag_M76_SoftwareDeviceSettings] Area - does this has to do with the default Settings, because in the original XP Inf from Toshiba, you can find screen resolution, that aren't in the blackwingcat's driver inf.

end of update.

Hopefully

Andreas

Edited by user8342, 01 October 2012 - 09:44 AM.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
Frankly speaking, I don't really know how to solve this problem. The one thing which I can say for sure is that you cannot use the official drivers from AMD because they require the unofficial kernel to work. Is your system German?

How about trying out the older versions of the drivers? At the moment I'm not using an ATI/AMD graphic card but before I had some success with the 9.x drivers (you can find them on the BlackWingCat's blog).

Edited by tomasz86, 01 October 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

user8342

user8342
  • 4 posts
yes my system is a german w2k - try all the version fromBlackWingCat's blog at the moment.

can you say a few words to "they require the unofficial kernel to work"

with normal w2k kernel it's impossible, and therfore BlackWingCat Versions are patched to go around the problem? Or you mean, the missing function in kernel solved with Update Rollup 1 V2?

Maybe BlackWingCat will give me some hints. Kernel Debugging, Softice etc i already used in past, but i'm not so familier with screen-drivers.

if i solve i will tell here, otherwise i have to go to XP....

Thanks

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts

with normal w2k kernel it's impossible, and therfore BlackWingCat Versions are patched to go around the problem?

This is exactly what I mean. When the unofficial kernel is used then you should be able to just use the official drivers for XP but without it you must use the ones modified by BlackWingCat.

If your system were in English then I'd just recommend installing the kernel but as it's in German there's no other way than just trying to install all of the BlackWingCat's drivers one by one until you find a working one. In fact, you can "forcefully" install the unofficial kernel in a German system but then some parts of the system will change into English.
Posted Image

user8342

user8342
  • 4 posts
Hi tomasz86,

thanks i would give this a try, first i look for a SP4 English version. Where to get this unofficial Kernel.

When installing XP, everything work fine. with the same driver failing under w2k.

i will inform u.

j7n

j7n

• PipPip
  • 283 posts
Thank you for your work. The Version 9.8 driver worked well for me. It even managed to to run a legacy DirectX game "Tonka Space Station", which didn't run before.

However, I also received the dialog box with an empty list of Models. But it occurred only after attempting to install different versions of Catalyst and subsequently removing them. This appears to be a problem with Win2000 because I've never seen it on XP. I resolved the situation by selecting any built in driver (Match64 in my case) and installing it. After a reboot the driver obviously fails to start. But it now became possible to "Update" it with the correct version of Catalyst, and the exact same INF was now read correctly and the Models described in it were shown.

I do not recommend this unofficial update for Radeon R3xx for which support existed in Catalyst 6.2 because of inferior OpenGL performance in 16-bit.

I tend to agree, however, that choosing Win2k over XP has more disadvantages than gains. Anyone desiring to avoid the "fatness" of NT 5.1 should also consider the applications and other drivers, which are just as bloated graphically and code-wise these days. (For example this driver, that of Intel graphics or Realtek audio.) The "support" and "security" updates offered by Microsoft are not of direct concern, but the general perception that updating is essential has created a situation where 3rd party software stops being compatible and tested with older OS versions. Even when applications are not by any means graphical, they tend to link to uxtheme and gdiplus for no reason other than planned obsolescence... The set of software that works on NT 5.1 is considerably greater. I still chose Win2k today as a secondary OS.

jbclem

jbclem

• 22 posts

Hi everyone...I'd like to ask for some basic directions for installing drivers for my Asus AH3450 AGP card.  I've downloaded from BlackWingCat the zip file for ATI Radeon 2009/06/05 version 9.4(release 2), but other than the obvious .inf files inside, I don't see any kind of setup file to start with.  And there's a sub-directory full of files with .dl_ and .sy_ extensions, and other files, that I'm not sure what to do with.

How would I proceed with this installation?  I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Unofficial Update Rollup 2, and Unofficial Update v11 (weekly 2013/03/23).  And .NET Framework 1-4.

Also, do I need to uninstall the current driver(s) for the Radeon 7500 card first?  Or can I have drivers for both cards installed at the same time? 

John

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
How would I proceed with this installation?  I'm using Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, Unofficial Update Rollup 2, and Unofficial Update v11 (weekly 2013/03/23).  And .NET Framework 1-4.

You need to use the system Device Manager to install the driver. It's usually not necessary to uninstall the previous one but you may want to do it to keep everything clean :)

Posted Image

jbclem

jbclem

• 22 posts

Well, all kinds of problems after installing the AH3450 drives from bwc(blackwingcat).  The basic one is that the device isn't working and the error message is "the device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).  The AH3450 was shown in Device Manager, no yellow exclamation mark.  I checked the drivers installed, there were many, and I could match at least 8 with those in the zip file from bwc. As far as I could tell, they were all working even though the error message and reality says otherwise(I was stuck in low resolution mode).

I replaced the AH3450 card with my original one and after rebooting the AH3450 was gone from the Device Manager, even though I never removed or disabled it.  You'll see why that's not good because the other problem is that I now have a no sound condition, and when I try to open the Volume Control I get an error message that "there are no active mixer devices available, you may install mixer devices from Add/Remove etc..."  There is also no vol control icon in the lower right task bar, and in Control Panel/Sounds and Multimedia, the Sound Volume slider is pegged on low and greyed out, as is the box to show volume control on the task bar.

Checking in Device Manager, under Legacy Audio Drivers, there are 33 mixer devices and the ones I checked were all said to be working properly...and no yellow exclamation marks anywhere.

I uninstalled the integrated sound card, rebooted and reinstalled it.  Still the no sound problem.  Now, I'd like to make sure the AH3450 drivers are uninstalled but as I mentioned they've disappeared from Device Manager.  So I'm stuck and if anyone has any suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting these problems, I'd sure appreciate them.

John

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,384 posts

Now, I'd like to make sure the AH3450 drivers are uninstalled but as I mentioned they've disappeared from Device Manager.  So I'm stuck and if anyone has any suggestions for fixing or troubleshooting these problems, I'd sure appreciate them.

John

Would this make them visible? 

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

http://support.micro...kb/241257/en-us

jaclaz

jbclem

jbclem

• 22 posts

Thanks jaclaz, it didn't work but it's good to know about that.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Hi, I lost this thread for a long time.

Did you know your Graphic card Vendor id and Device id ?

You can get it from registry.

Hi everyone...I'd like to ask for some basic directions for installing drivers for my Asus AH3450 AGP card.  I've downloaded from BlackWingCat the zip file for ATI Radeon 2009/06/05 version 9.4(release 2), but other than the obvious .inf files inside, I don't see any kind of setup file to start with.  And there's a sub-directory full of files with .dl_ and .sy_ extensions, and other files, that I'm not sure what to do with.

BlackWingCat =^^=

jbclem

jbclem

• 22 posts

Hi blackwingcat, I searched my registry but couldn't find anything about the vendor id or device id.  But if you've read the previous post about my troubles, you know that I failed with the installation of my Asus AH3450 agp card.  I un-installed it and re-installed the older card (ATI Radeon 7500), which left me with no volume control (and no volume).  So perhaps uninstalling the failed installation removed the vendor and device id from the registry.

Later...I just found someone (who has the same card) identifying it as device id: 95C6 (or 0x95c6 )  .  Asus is the only one who made an AGP version of the AH3450.  I think the Asus id is:  Vendor 0x1043 - ASUS

I'm also reading (from the same conversation: (http://www.techpower...hp/t-90983.html) that ATI only made drivers for the PCI-Express version of the AH3450.  The PCI-Express device id is 0x95c5  .  Perhaps your AH3450 drivers are from ATI and therefore only for the PCI-Express version of this card.  Or are they from Asus?

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN