This post is purely informative, for anyone following this thread: I had to return to an operating system image, taken before the blackwingcat drivers were installed, and in repeating the steps to install them, I found out why the Device Manager Device selection box was empty.
The problem is with ATI not being able to keep their DevIDs 'straight', and not with the way the drivers were modified. The quotes below describe the original problem, and the solution follows, below the quoted posts:
Select the manufacturer and model of your hardware ...
followed by an empty box titled 'Models:'
Seems the user is supposed to select an entry shown inside this box and since a selection from an empty box is not possible, the 'Next' button is non-functional. So I can't get past this to complete the driver installation.
...If you've never seen this before, then let me know that as well.
Perhaps it will not repeat when I go to a higher driver in the 10.x series?
... and also let me know if you have any comments about the empty 'Models' box causing the driver installation to 'hang' (see the quoted post, just before this one).
I think most stable driver is 10.5. or 10.7. But 10.11 may also be stable. [edit: the stable one is 10.7.]
Because I don't know your VGA DEVICE ID, I can't tell you for sure...
Thanks for the continuing advice. Are these the correct numbers, that you're looking for, in this list?
- Identification numbers for my VGA ASUS RADEON HD5450 Silent 512MB HDMI/DDR2PCIE2 card:
- Vendor ID: 0x1002
- Device ID: 0x68E1
The problem, the reason MS Window's driver upgrade would not 'see' the card ... is that the ATI driver package's .inf file is supplying the wrong DeviceID number. If the numbers don't match, Windows 'thinks' the system lacks the right card, for the package. Blackwingcat, is this the way it works?
In the 10.07 package, I opened its .inf file for the graphics adapter and saw the line for "Radeon 5400 series" (there are no entries for the individual cards, just for the 'series') gives a different DevID number that the one above, that I gave to blackwingcat. But, I had not made a mistake -- it was copied correctly, from a label pasted to the card.
The online 'Device ID - Vendor ID' databases are all giving a DevID# that matches the one in ATI's .inf file. But this is different from the one on the card's label.
Then, wondering which was correct, I found a utility (in HBCD/DVD v15.2) that reads a card's DevID number, directly, and it gave me a number that matched the one given on the card's written label.
Solution: with a text editor, I changed the package's DevID# for 'Radeon 5400 Series' -- from the one given in all the 'official databases' -- to the one that the utility read, directly from my card, itself.
Now, the Driver Upgrade Device Selection box was populated with all the selections from the .inf file, I was able to select the '5400 series', <Enter>, and the driver files were copied and installed, the expected behavior.
Reason for this post: to thank blackwingcat for all his hard work by sharing a solution to a problem, that no one would have suspected: some adapter cards can have DevID's that differ from what's given on the official lists, as well as the driver packages provided by the manufacturer. The installation won't work, until the user discovers the card's real number, and makes the number in the driver package match the one the system is reading, from the card itself.
Edited by RonCam, 19 August 2015 - 05:42 AM.