Dell Latitude C600

PROBLEMCHYLD

I just got a refurbished laptop, Dell C600, the CPU is only at 750 Mhz.

I was told I can only upgrade to 850 Mhz.

I have the latest Bios, A23 and the memory is 256 MB.

Everything else is OK, I just want to max out the memory and CPU.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Upgrading the CPU would not do much. I don't know if the notebook came with 1x 256MB DIMM, if so, you could try another 256MB to get 512MB but that's about what you can do with that notebook. It uses PC100 modules and I would get them from eBay or so.

• 7 months later...

I didn't want to start a new topic because this is still pertaining to my dell c600.

I just cracked the screen on my laptop and i don't know what kind to replace it.

I know its 14.1 inches but they had different types on the net.

SXGA

XGA

MATTE

I don't want to get the wrong kind and don't want to spend a outrageous price either.

I didn't want to start a new topic because this is still pertaining to my dell c600.

I just cracked the screen on my laptop and i don't know what kind to replace it.

I don't want to get the wrong kind and don't want to spend a outrageous price either.

I think I would be inclined to look for another Dell C600 on eBay, and use that as a spares donor, there seem to be a lot for spares/repair at pretty reasonable prices here in the UK and then you might get another 256MB DIMM also.

Edited by lightning slinger

Notebook screens are nonstandard, so you need a screen from the same notebook model. Unaffordable and unavailable from the manufacturer, but look at eBay.de or eBay.com - either for a complete notebook, possibly sold as defective or "for pieces" or, with some luck, you'll find just a screen. Not necessarily cheaper than the complete notebook.

I wrote .de or .com because other eBay are smaller or less tech-oriented.

Don't forget to compare the price of a used Latitude with other used models.

---

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/548...C610-Ecran.html

http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/266...r-portable.html

---

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...tid=&impid=

I didn't look for a long time, they probably tell there if you can exceed 256MB. Upgrading from 750MHz to 850MHz would bring little.

To improve an old computer, you may expand its hardware (especially the Hdd), but you may revert to older software as well. If your computer doesn't connect to the Web you can drop all security software and revert to Win Me and Office 97 Pro and so on, and then a 750MHz 256MB is fabulously fast, quick and swift. About 5$ and 40$ at eBay. W2k would also fit better in 256MB than Xp (or less badly, depending of additional software).

Replacing the Hdd with one (...or two...) CF cards also improves a laptop a lot, but choosing the right CF cards is not easy. And P-Ata Ssd are supposedly all bad.

---

Mamma mia, this is a 440bx chipset?

Excellent speed BUT the worst ever for Ram compatibility.

According to Intel, it can handle 256MB as a maximum total (2*128MB) though people succeeded using 512MB on it.

But on a laptop, I wouldn't try. Too expensive, too random.

Would be fantastic with WinMe, acceptable with a good Hdd and W2k if some security is needed.

• 3 months later...

I need a ATI Mobility 128 AGP 2X driver. Dell has the wrong driver listed.

Also I was able to get the screen fix because a c610 motherboard was shot and the screen was

in mint condition for only 35 bucks. Now I can't find a graphics driver. Please help thanks.

Dell gives Win2000 drivers for Mobility M3 and M4, which part is "wrong"? I'd be surprised if it was wrong since 10 years. It also gives (XP)Mobility Radeon drivers for the C610.

Could yhis link be what you're looking for? I don't think those are for portables.

Also I was able to get the screen fix because a c610 motherboard was shot and the screen was

in mint condition for only 35 bucks. Now I can't find a graphics driver. Please help thanks.

As far as I am aware, this guy Ziyad Hosein had the definitive statement on drivers for your card:

http://web.archive.org/web/20071031073030/www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rprow2k.htm

I use his tweaked 2k_5058 version for Windows 2000 in my old Dell laptop.

Unfortunately the links to driver files and packages on the above page no longer work. I haven't searched too hard for them across the net, however - so you might find them quite easily.

• 1 year later...

I just bought 2 laptops off craigslist for $50. Motherboard shot on both of them. I was able to get the CPU from one of them that upgraded my Dell C600 750mhz to 850mhz. Along with the ram and hard drives I would say I came out on top.

Win98SE is smoking on that B!+ch :thumbup

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD