PC stops responding after enabling LAN Card

rubab

Hi,

Recently I had a strange problem. Whenever i enable my LAN card and PC halts after every 20 to 25 seconds. Everything stops when this happens.

Suppose if i was moving my mouse the mouse would stop for half second and it will start moving again or if i was watching a movie , the movie will stop for half second and start playing normally. Everything starts halting or stuttering when i enable the LAN card.

For this reason i just formatted my C drive and re-installed XP SP3 and still the problem keeps on happening.

This is what the Process Monitor is showing:

post-115062-1235991148_thumb.jpg

Can anyone kindly help me with this problem?

Edited by rubab

I've had that with a (cheap) lan card from the brand "Safeway" when I ugraded to SP2. Strangely, the "updated" driver would cause that same behaviour you describe. I solved it by installing the drivers for Windowxs 2000 instead. I don't know if it can help you but mainly, it's a driver problem.

I've had that with a (cheap) lan card from the brand "Safeway" when I ugraded to SP2. Strangely, the "updated" driver would cause that same behaviour you describe. I solved it by installing the drivers for Windowxs 2000 instead. I don't know if it can help you but mainly, it's a driver problem.

I just did exactly as you said. I downloaded the Driver from the Manufacturers website and installed it. The problem seems to be gone at the moment. But why did this happen in the first place.

I used nlited XP SP3 for 45 days. Then i formatted my windows to try out Vista and after using for Vista for 3 days the problem started happening.

Then i formatted Vista and reverted back to the same XP i have been using for 45 days but this time the problem which happened in Vista also happened a to my clean nlited XP installation.

This is the same XP SP3 which i used for 45 days without any problem. I have not been able to figure out why is it happening now. I only updated the ATI Catalyst 9.2 for Radeon X1650 Pro and Realtek High Definition Audio Driver R2.16 for my built in Sound Card. I did the same in Vista.

Could the Video and Audio Drivers be the culprit.

what brand is the card?

It is PFE100TX PCI LAN Card.

I have been using it for the last 2 and a half years without any problems.

Thanks for the help. :thumbup

Edited by rubab

Do you have the same with an unplugged cable ?

No the problem doesn't occur when the cable is unplugged.

Another strange thing is the problem happens in the morning and heavily in the Evening and after 11:20pm or at the time when most people goes to sleep, the problem disappears.

I checked at 5:00am in the morning and this problem was not happening then, but when i checked at 8:30am the problem started again.

Edited by rubab

Try setting your card to 100full or 100half instead of auto and see if it goes better. I bet the other end of your physical cable is in your house, not at the ISP. ;)