Opera, KernelEx and related matters

marxo

Thanks, but I have a funny feeling I had tried that and the bookmark html icon remained as Opera's, even tried changing the icon.

I un-ticked the associated files with Opera, but I left the http and https, should I have un-ticked these too?

Yes, http and https protocols are associated with *.htm and *.html files.

That's why Opera is still claiming them.

However if you set Firefox to be your default browser Firefox should take them over.

Tools>Options>Advanced>General Tab.

Press the "Check Now" button.

:)

Yeah that was the thing though, FF didn't take them all over, but of course perhaps if I had un-ticked those 2 protocols then that would have helped.

I had really only downloaded Opera for the printing, but as I can print fine with I.E6, then I won't bother too much with Opera and may actually remove it, don't want to bloat the system with browsers. :)

Can I ask what you have on the View---->folder options---->file types---->HTML Document.

I just would love to know which program is set to open files of this type, because when I installed Opera it changed mine to open with Opera, and I preferred it to open HTM extensions with FF, but getting it back to FF was a nightmare.

Go to Preference Settings in Opera, ans click on the Advanced tab.

Select "Programs".

Un-check "Check if Opera is default browser on startup".

Click on the "Details" button and it will show what Opera is associated with.

Check or un-check the ones that you need, and then run Firefox and make it your default browser.

It should then open htm files again, and Opera won't steal them back.

Thanks, but I have a funny feeling I had tried that and the bookmark html icon remained as Opera's, even tried changing the icon.

I un-ticked the associated files with Opera, but I left the http and https, should I have un-ticked these too?

This thread is for discussing KernelEx *only*! :realmad:

Start another thread, if you need, but do stop hijacking this one!

Hello, am new to the forum. Thanks for your great work. Very much appreciated.

As per (security) apps not working with KEX, here are a few.

System Safety Monitor Free for 98/ME causes EXPLORER.EXE to stop responding upon closing SSM and exiting and freezes Win 98/ME

AVZ fails to read KEX kernel

Apps working oddly:

Fortego All-Seeing Eye works only in part owing to its dependence upon an event logger, otherwise OK. (It was probably a joke anyway from Fortego!)

Also many apps are now refusing to install on Win98/ME + KEX because these new apps read version data from other files, and the vendors are doing this because they are aware of the KEX project here -- e.g. Opera 11.00 v 1111 BETA fails because devs at Opera emailed me this info, that it would be best to wait for KEX and Opera to get a bit more synchronized with respect to missing Documents and Settings folders as well as wildcard registry reading missing from 98/ME . (ResHack & modifify version info perhaps?)

Hope this helps. Will try to come up with some ideas to participate better.

Thanks,

Dave (HAL)

Edited by dw2108

System Safety Monitor Free for 98/ME causes EXPLORER.EXE to stop responding upon closing SSM and exiting and freezes Win 98/ME
Please submit crash details.
AVZ fails to read KEX kernel
We can't trick AVZ into oblivion. Does AVZ stops working?
Also many apps are now refusing to install on Win98/ME + KEX because these new apps read version data from other files, and the vendors are doing this because they are aware of the KEX project here -- e.g. Opera 11.00 v 1111 BETA fails because devs at Opera emailed me this info, that it would be best to wait for KEX and Opera to get a bit more synchronized with respect to missing Documents and Settings folders as well as wildcard registry reading missing from 98/ME
bul*****. Which apps? What file versions? What Opera guys said? Opera 11 works fine (minor errors) in win2k mode; just extract the installer. Edited by Tihiy

• 2 weeks later...

Opera 11 compatible with KernelEx.

We’re proud to announce that Opera 11 which was released today and which is no longer compatible with Windows 9x is working fine with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5. Although there are minor problems it mostly works properly.

opera11.th.png

Users of Opera 10.63 with enabled auto-update feature will have Opera updated to 11.00 automatically. The old, MSI based installer is required for clean install. New installer doesn't work yet.

In order to run Opera 11, you have to change compatibility mode of opera.exe to Windows 2000 SP4 otherwise Opera will report the OUniAnsi.dll file is missing and won't start.

Edited by Xeno86

Opera 11 seems to be working fine here!

Thanks guys!

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

The standalone installer doesn't work, as you say.

I usually use the installer rather than do an automatic upgrade, but this time I let it do an automatic upgrade and it did work.

Am I right in assuming that if I extracted the msi installer file from the install package, that would work too?

P. S. Once again, isn't it about time that this was a final release of KernelEx?

Edited by Dave-H

We’re proud to announce that Opera 11 which was released today and which is no longer compatible with Windows 9x is working fine with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5. Although there are minor problems it mostly works properly.

Hi Xeno86,

what problem have you seen?

For now, all functions I use seems to work fine.

BTW, people who doesn't want to meddle with the installer can use the portable version: Opera@USB. ;)

what problem have you seen?

For now, all functions I use seems to work fine.

I haven't yet used the final build but the little issues I have seen while testing a bit (before they introduced tab stacking) were:

1) Some symbols don't display properly in web pages (the arrow to navigate previous next page on this forum for example)

2) The About Opera page is not properly formatted.

3) On saving files no extension is appended automatically to the filename.

4) And of course the missing flashing cursor issue in edit fields affecting the 10.x builds remains.

That's all I have noticed.

Btw, the build I am using as my default browser is 10.70 9050 and it requires KernelEx as well but it can load the ansi dll from 10.63 and doesn't require specific 2K compatibility mode. If I put it in 2K mode most of the the above issues appear (just not sure right now if the missing extension on saving file does).

Edited by loblo

First of all, the new KernelEx Wiki is wonderful!

Now come to my problem. I can install and run Opera 11, but Chinese characters can only be displayed in the interface (menu, tab, etc), but not in Web pages:

screenshot1bd.png

the only exception is the "opera:about" page:

screenshot2vo.png

Any way to fix this? Thank you

I can confirm most of the minor issues reported with the current Opera version under 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.

The only one I'm not sure about is the cursor problem, which seems to be fine for me.

It's not only the "About Opera" page that doesn't render properly, it's also the plugins and cache pages.

They look like they've lost their fancy formatting, although they seem to be functional.

Strangely, the plugins page (only) seems to appear correctly the first time it's accessed in a session, but fails on subsequent views.

The others are displayed incorrectly all the time.

The browser is perfectly functional as before however, and as a longtime Opera fanboy, I'm very grateful for that!

The only significant things that don't work at all are java and widgets.

Edited by Dave-H

Crikey, would it not be easier just to use Firefox, lol

Maybe, although I don't think Firefox 3 is without its issues on Windows 98, even with KernelEx!

As I said, I'm a longtime Opera user and fan, and although I have Firefox installed on the XP side of my system for web page testing purposes, I've seen no reason to start using it as my primary browser.

I'm just very grateful to the KernelEx developers for working to allow Opera to still function under Windows 98, considering its small user base compared with Firefox.

I can confirm most of the minor issues reported with the current Opera version under 98SE with KernelEx 4.5 RC 5.

The only one I'm not sure about is the cursor problem, which seems to be fine for me.

A few people users been reporting that missing flashing cursor issue all along the 10.50/60 series testing in the Opera forums and I myself suffer from it but it seems neither you nor CharlesF are experiencing it, so perhaps it's only affecting Windows ME and not 98 for some reason.

3) On saving files no extension is appended automatically to the filename.

That is the main problem.

I cannot save anything. By right-click, with the save button or Ctrl+S, the whole browser is crashing! :(

For me it doesn't crash, it used to with the previous KernelEx build but sice xeno fixed the issue it's OK here. Just I need to append the file extension each time by hand in the filename field of the save dialog box otherwise the file gets saved without extension. This is very annoying and actually the main reason why I don't use 11 atm.

A few people users been reporting that missing flashing cursor issue all along the 10.50/60 series testing in the Opera forums and I myself suffer from it but it seems neither you nor CharlesF are experiencing it, so perhaps it's only affecting Windows ME and not 98 for some reason.

The lack of flashing cursor does not affect 98SE. See this post! http://www.msfn.org/...971#entry940971