KernelEx 4.5.2

OK, I know you don't like requests but could someone find out what is required to stop a program from making an illegal Operation.

The program is The GoldenEye Setup Editor Developed by Subdrag and Zoinkity of the Rare Witch Project.

The program starts ok (found out it requires KEX because without it it complains about missinfg refrences such as windowsdir in dlls)

The program does not need to be set to a particular OS Version, justy the extencions will do.

Everything works untill you use the Visual Editor (Using Direct X) where the menues load and the background music loads but then it crashes with this message.

GOLDENEYESETUPEDITORV2 caused an invalid page fault in

module <unknown> at 0000:00000000.

Registers:

EAX=00000003 CS=017f EIP=00000000 EFLGS=00010202

EBX=012f6428 SS=0187 ESP=010a765c EBP=010a77a8

ECX=00009b30 DS=0187 ESI=00000000 FS=c1cf

EDX=00000003 ES=0187 EDI=00000000 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

00 00 00 00 65 04 70 00 16 00 19 0c 65 04 70 00

Stack dump:

00a6ff45 000016c2 00000003 00000001 00000000 010a7680 00000027 06c9f69c 06c9f8cc 01d30000 00000000 00000027 0909ff7c 06c9f8cc 00000000 010a76e4

Trev

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope this ends up in the right place. I installed KernelEX on a 98FE Dell computer and was able to run Firefox 3.5, but cannot for the life of me get Flash 10 to install. I did try changing the registry like the 2nd post said, and changing the compatibility mode. You see, the first time I tried changing the registry I typed this:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\5.1]

instead of:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

I am able to download Flash 10 fine (I'm not directed to the Flash 9 site, so KernelEX worked) but whenever I try to install it says that I'm attempting to install on an old version of Windows (duh Adobe!). This computer is more than capable of running Flash 10, let alone XP (It's an XPS Dell) so I am stuck. Did my mistaken registry change screw up everything? If so what do I do? I see no use getting rid of a perfectly nice computer. Also, by any chance is there a way to upgrade to 98SE? "Upgrade" discs are for 95 and below, and I can't find any "update" CDs.

Hello mikefitzvw,

Create "xp.reg" file in notepad with following contents:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]

"Version"="Windows NT"

"VersionNumber"="5.10.2600"

Double click on "xp.reg" file.

Install the program Flash 10.

Create "unxp.reg" file in notepad with following contents:

REGEDIT4

"Version"="..........."

"VersionNumber"="..........."

Double click on "unxp.reg" file.

Actually, a better "unxp.reg" file ought to be::

REGEDIT4

"Version"="Windows 98"

"VersionNumber"="4.10.2222"

Dont forget to leave a blank line at the end of the reg file.

Well, I got closer. I re-made the xp.reg and unxp.reg files, but it still didn't quite work. Firefox would claim that Adobe DLM getPlus Add-on is not made for this system (which it's not of course). I then changed the compatibility mode of Firefox to Windows XP SP2, where it would take me to the flash site, install DLM, and then flash would still fail to install. Firefox decided tonight to upgrade itself to 3.5.4 after which point I uninstalled the DLM add-on and any Flash plug-ins, and tried again. Now I got to the flash site, tried to download Flash, and it would install DLM, tell me to restart Firefox, and then it would actually go to the same site as before and install DLM again (in a sort of endless-loop).

When I did all of this I had Firefox be the installer, because the saved desktop install application refused to be deceived into thinking this was XP. In short, I must be doing something wrong. Whenever presented with the opportunity I have set the install application to XP SP2 as well as Firefox, along with using the correct xp.reg file.

Thanks for both your insights so far. Any other ideas?

Just a heads up, Mozilla Firefox 3.6 alpha 1 [codenamed namaroka], does not work with KEx4.0final. It fails to start 'mozcrt19.dll' when loading despite the dependancies having been satisfied.

Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Alpha1

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_3.6_for_developers

Hi all,

I try the latest Firefox 3.6 Beta 1 :

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

it does not work with KelnelEX 4.0 Final 2 :(

(I have the same warning message "It fails to start 'mozcrt19.dll' ")

It works with previous mozcrt19.dll.

Changing the file from a previous version copied from Firefox 3.5.5pre doesn't work anymore :no:

Just a heads up, Mozilla Firefox 3.6 alpha 1 [codenamed namaroka], does not work with KEx4.0final. It fails to start 'mozcrt19.dll' when loading despite the dependancies having been satisfied.

Mozilla Firefox 3.6 Alpha1

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_3.6_for_developers

Hi all,

I try the latest Firefox 3.6 Beta 1 :

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

it does not work with KelnelEX 4.0 Final 2 :(

(I have the same warning message "It fails to start 'mozcrt19.dll' ")

It works with previous mozcrt19.dll.

Changing the file from a previous version copied from Firefox 3.5.5pre doesn't work anymore :no:

With mozcrt9.dll (FF 3.5) work only Alpha 1. Beta Namoroka with new and rewriting function, need update KernelEx...

http://download.winpack.org/utils/mozcrt19.dll - with this dll i run FF Namoroka Alpha 1 properly.

Edited by Philco

Ugh I am about to give up. I uninstalled the flash 9 install, re-wrote the xp.reg and unxp.reg files, re-downloaded flash 10, tried it all again and it failed. Am I supposed to restart after doing xp.reg or something? Somehow flash 10 knows this is Windows 98 no matter what I do. It would almost be easier for somebody to take the files from flash 10 and remake it without the system checks. Any other ideas? Would reinstalling 98 again help? Is 98FE too old for flash 10 (even though Firefox 3.5 works just fine)?

It's been a while since the last update. I hope this is still being worked on. With SeaMonkey setting its official version to 2.0, and recent games requiring GfWL, the need for KernelEx is becoming greater than ever. In its current incarnation, it doesn't actually run any of the real XP-only programs (The ones that need more than a Windows version change and a W-to-A). Perhaps work should proceed in the "Pick program - get it to run" methodology. I mean this in a more public form - users on this board could help test versions of KEx with a specific program, chosen by Xeno86 or tihiy, thus giving a clearer objective and focus, which would help make programs fully usable on a maximal number of configurations.

PROS:

KernelEx allowed me to start playing the newer games over at AdventureGameStudio which uses AGS

AGS... which uses the AGS engine (remember 90's sierra games Space Quest, Police Quest type games? Or games by LucasArts? well that's AGS). The latest AGS engine (3.1.2) requires XP or higher... which means all "fan made" or "AGS fan project" games after bout mid-2008 (which use the new AGS engine) won't work on an old win98se system like mine, but your little program makes it so I can play them. (something to do with how your program enables Visual Studio 2008 or Java or some such).

CONS:

Oddly though, I start getting frequent problems with IE6 (win98se vers). No specific error is given, just a "IE has encountered an error and will now close" with OK button. (Thankfully Firefox still works).

Annoyingly though this "IE error" carries over to regular win98se's explorer... so if I click start>run and click browse, or click a folder on my desktop (like My Computer or My Documents) I oddly get that "IE has encountered..." message and then the window closes. Means I have to use a 3rd party directory browser if I want to manually navigate to look for a file or something.

QUESTION

I couldn't run the installer for XP's IE7 or IE8 with KernelEX installed. Yet oddly other XP-level programs work. I even had "M.S. Office for XP" up and running for a while... only to switch back to Office 2002 when I found out how much additional bloat the XP version tended to install.

I even tried a re-install of win98se and then re-installed KernelEX and still get this error, so I don't know if its a custom setting or what that might cause it.

Anyway, the question is, what are the custom settings you mention? All I see during install is a "turn all on" and "turn all off" option and then again during uninstall there's a "save custom settings?" option... but no actual text on what the custom settings are, how to access them, etc.

Anyway, the question is, what are the custom settings you mention? All I see during install is a "turn all on" and "turn all off" option and then again during uninstall there's a "save custom settings?" option... but no actual text on what the custom settings are, how to access them, etc.

Personally I would advise you reinstall KernelEx with the "turn all off" option and only enable KernelEx for the programs that require it to run correctly.

Right click the Install Setup File of the program you require, under Properties, there is a Compatibility tab. Click on this and you will see you have the option to run this program in compatibility mode for different OS's. Set this to run XP in the drop down menu. See the first picture in post#1.

Once you get the program installed you can go to into program files and right click those that need to run in XP mode in the same manner.

Edited by lightning slinger

Running in xp sp2 mode that work for me:(add some reg key to fix start menu and other data in the right place. Will upload this fix later)

firefox 3.5.5 + Adobe Flash 10.0.0.32.18 (unzip with 7z and put NPSWF32.dll in firefox plugin folder)

ffdshow the newest one you need to copy (not cut) rundll32.exe from C:/windows to C:/windows/System/ (this work b/c the xp only version use the rundll32.exe in C:/windows/System/ folder)

Having Problem: :angry:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware it having trouble starting a service. Only get error scan system file like shell32. :angry:

TeamViewer close when you try to control 98se (from xp or win7) but you can Control other os like xp, win7 ...ect on 98se but not the other way.

I will try what lightning slinger sad see if fix some of my problem TeamViewer said that it work on Win95/98/98SE/Me/2000/NT/XP/2003/Vista/7.

Did any one get Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware working or any idea?

Flash 10 - How I made it on 98SE!

Dear all. I have several times tried the proposed solution with xp.reg and unxp.reg and was not successfull, Flash always refusing to install because of non supported version. I then discovered that the double click was not adding the specified line in the registry.

Therefore i did it manually and it worked !!

What i did : run regedit and then hit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"

At that string, I have made "add new string" though right click

then I have typed current version for he name and 5.1 for the value

Now i have two strings defaut and current version under current version

After that change, flash 10 install worked and falsh 10 now works

Hello from France - Hope this helps

My machine is : Win98SE, ASUS P2B-F June 99 (slot 1 what a marvel!!), PIII 1400 Tualatin on a Powerleap adaptor; ATA 100 through PCI adaptor, USB2 through PCI adaptor - More than 10 years of fun with it.

Long life to 98SE! Thanks for keeping it alive!