KernelEx 4.5.2

Flash 10 - How I made it on 98SE!

Dear all. I have several times tried the proposed solution with xp.reg and unxp.reg and was not successfull, Flash always refusing to install because of non supported version. I then discovered that the double click was not adding the specified line in the registry.

Therefore i did it manually and it worked !!

What i did : run regedit and then hit "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"

At that string, I have made "add new string" though right click

then I have typed current version for he name and 5.1 for the value

Now i have two strings defaut and current version under current version

After that change, flash 10 install worked and falsh 10 now works

At "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" its string "RegDone" with "1". No problem?

AGS... which uses the AGS engine (remember 90's sierra games Space Quest, Police Quest type games? Or games by LucasArts? well that's AGS).

I'm pretty sure those games weren't powered by AGS eg Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Beneath a steel sky all used the Scumm Engine.

I think AGS just is able to do everything the engines at the time like Scumm were able to do.

I couldn't run the installer for XP's IE7 or IE8 with KernelEX installed. Yet oddly other XP-level programs work. I even had "M.S. Office for XP" up and running for a while... only to switch back to Office 2002 when I found out how much additional bloat the XP version tended to install.

IE7 and IE8 are pretty much impossible to run on 9x, office 2002 and office XP are the same thing.

eesseell, could you please explain in very explicit, step by step directions exactly what you did to get Flash 10 to install? (or anyone else that understands)? Thank you very much.

As to making specific implementations of KernelEX aimed at specific programs, that is a fantastic idea. Perhaps specific versions for crucial programs (browser, antivirus, flash, and the like) and a general catchall like the one we have now. I would be glad to test a few (I'm not techie enough to make one myself though I'm afraid).

Dear all,

Thought my explanations were clear, i will then try to be more precise.

1) Obviously I have Kernelex final installed

2) I have made a manual modification of the registry launching the regedit program via Start\Run (don't forget that I have a french Win 98SE and that I'm not familiar with the english names of commands)

3) Once the registry was open, I went tho the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"

4) I left clicked on that key to select it and at the same time to display on the right pane of the registry the strings associated to that key

5) I had only one which was "default"

6) still the key mentioned at point 3 selected, i have done right click, hitting "add new string value" command

7) then a new string appeared on the right pane with invitation to give a name - I have called that new string CurrentVersion

8) then I have double clicked on this newly created string (on the right pane) and entered 5.1 in the corresponding window

9) Then I have closed the registry, rebooted the PC and run Flash 10 install with success

Hope this helps - This is the usual procedure to make manuel changes to the registry

I installed Windows 98 SE on a friends PC, was using IE and viewing videos on pages that use the Windows Media plug-in to embed WMP 9 on the page...long story short something was wrong with the plug-in sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I decided to reinstall WMP, not even thinking about having KernelEx installed. I didn't uninstall the old version just reinstalled over it. During the "re-installation", an error came up about kex.exe. I wish I had payed a bit more attention. Anyway, it fixed the errors. All seems to work fine.

I'm kind of curious and also think someone may want to look into this. Does this trick the installer into thinking I'm running XP -- attempting to installing the NT (whatever differences that entails) version of the program? Would I, or anyone else for that matter, have problems if they did not reinstall over an existing installation? Can whatever is causing the message be fixed? Would there be any advantage in installing WMP 9 this way (assuming there are differences)?

Edited by Steven W

Dear all,

Thought my explanations were clear, i will then try to be more precise.

1) Obviously I have Kernelex final installed

<snip>

7) then a new string appeared on the right pane with invitation to give a name - I have called that new string CurrentVersion

8) then I have double clicked on this newly created string (on the right pane) and entered 5.1 in the corresponding window

Note that Xeno86, the KernelEx author, recommends undoing the change after installing Flash 10. Other installations that work on Win9x (ver4.1) may not work if they think your O/S is XP (ver5.1). He provides the Regedit scripts for setting and un-setting CurrentVersion. See Post #2 at http://www.msfn.org/board/kernelex-4-0-final-2-t130936.html

Edited by EvanD

----------About nasty Flash 10 & Win98------------

To this day I still can not make Flash 10 running on Firefox. Always errors and unsatisfactory results happens. My solution was to play flash 10 videos by using the old flash 9. Previously I posted here a link for downloading an edited flash 9 plugin for Firefox. But there was a problem - the playing of videos which require flash 10 begin to play after some pause of 10-15 seconds. So for 10-15s the CPU Usage is 100% and even the mouse is not moving smoothly. I know that Adobe's products are going better when one removes something from them. The previous time I just substitute the "version info" section of flash 9 with this of flash 10. Now I just removed the "JAVACLASS" section. It really got better. The pause of 10-15 seconds disappeared. Here is the link for those who want to try it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/311575409/Flas...for_Firefox.rar

Foxit Reader doesn't start because it fails to call Winspool.drv:GetPrinterDataExW

Would be nice to see it working as current Adobe Reader versions after Reader 6.0 don't work and current PDF documents are showing up more and more which aren't interpreted correctly by v6.0.

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detai...mp;atid=1126916

post-95828-1260119092_thumb.png