KernelEx 4.5.2

Would be nice to see it working as current Adobe Reader versions after Reader 6.0 don't work and current PDF documents are showing up more and more which aren't interpreted correctly by v6.0.

Has anyone tried Sumatra PDF? I can't at the moment:

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html (Says it requires 2000 or later, might work with KEx?)

It's based on (this is something else you may wish to try) mupdf. I can't quite make out the requirements on it:

http://ccxvii.net/mupdf/

Sumatra is essiantilly MuPDF with a nice interface.

Edited by Steven W

I'm still using Sumatra PDF 1.6 on Win98. It's functional but the "open" menu doesn't work, the only way to open files is by double clicking them, so you have to make it your default reader. The good thing is that it is very light, renders good and fast and is much more stable than that horrible GDI crunching Foxit.

Later versions don't have a menu at all on Win98.

correction: 1.6 -->0.6

Edited by noguru

I'm still using Sumatra PDF 1.6 on Win98.

version 1.6? Really?

The latest version of Sumatra PDF is 1.01.

Could I borrow your time machine for a little drive around the space-time continuim? I'll only borrow it for (what seems like) a second.

BTW, the last version of Sumatra PDF that works on Windows 98SE (without Kernel EX) is 0.81.

Edited by the xt guy

There has been plenty of recent discussion regarding how to install Adobe Flash Player 10 using KernelEx (some interesting methods!).

However, the very simple install procedure has already been outlined by Xeno86.

Please everyone, read the first couple of posts of this topic!!!

For those who really can't be bothered, here is the key section quoted just for you!

Despite changing Windows version in compatibility tab some programs complain about wrong system version. Example: Adobe Flash Player 10.

Solution:

Create "xp.reg" file in notepad with following contents:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"="5.1"

Double click on "xp.reg" file.

Install the program.

Create "unxp.reg" file in notepad with following contents:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
"CurrentVersion"=-

Double click on "unxp.reg" file.

On that note, Adobe Flash Player 10.0.42.34 installs and works, both Plugin and ActiveX.

ActiveX: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...h_player_ax.exe

Plugin: http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplaye...lash_player.exe

Thunderbird 3 Release Candidate 1 work well on W98SE with KernelEX :thumbup

Now working on Windows 98SE:

* Thunderbird 3.0 beta

Well, the prerelease versions of Thunderbird 3.0 may have worked, but the final release does not work for me...

When it runs, all the graphics and text are messed up - mainly just blocks of colour...

Thunderbird 3 official release working with Win 98 FE!

I had to set KernalEx compatibility to Windows 2000 SP4 on Thunderbird.exe to get the window to display properly.

Yes, I can confirm this too on Windows 98SE.

The installer needs to be set to Windows 2000 SP4 compatibility, and then thunderbird.exe before the first run.

However, Thunderbird 3.0 has the same printing failure as Firefox 3.x.x.

From what I understand, older Linux kernel versions also have printing failure with Firefox 3.x.x (and therefore Thunderbird 3.0).

This makes sense because newer printing functionality is used that does not exist in older OSes.

Addition:

GnuPG 1.4.10 no longer installs on Win9x, so:

LAST - FREE - GnuPG (The GNU Privacy Guard) 1.4.9 --- ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.9.exe

GnuPG 1.4.10 will install and work correctly with KernelEx, when the Compatibility tab for the installer is set to Windows XP SP2.

Edited by RetroOS

Would you consider implementing support for unicode notifications LVN_GETDISPINFOW (for listviews) and TTN_GETDISPINFOW (for tooltips)?

LVN_GETDISPINFO is sent by a list-view control to its parent window, message is sent when list-view control has style LVS_OWNERDATA. Unicode app expects notification LVN_GETDISPINFOW but list-view control sends LVN_GETDISPINFOA, so list-view ends up without any strings.

TTN_GETDISPINFO is not that important, but those two messages are very similar so if you manage to implement one it should not be too hard to implement other one as well.

I didn't know about CCM_SETUNICODEFORMAT and WM_NOTIFYFORMAT, thanks for information (btw. MSDN says from IE5.0).

But, could it be possible that KernelEx automatically uses one of those two methods for unicode apps?

For example, app is unicode (made for NT family of windows) and uses unicode data in WM_NOTIFY, but author didn't know about existence of KernelEx and possibility that his app will be used on Win98 so he didn't implement CCM_SETUNICODEFORMAT or WM_NOTIFYFORMAT.

Well - I don't know what I could be doing wrong, but I still can't get Flash 10 installed.

I ran the xp.reg and tried the installer (Plugin) 10.0.42.34 linked to above, with compatibility set to first Win2K then WinXP, but both types of attempt fail partway through with the message that I am trying to install on an unsupported operating system. Any suggestions?

Win98SE

KernelEx 4.0 Final

But, could it be possible that KernelEx automatically uses one of those two methods for unicode apps?
It automatically sends "enable unicode" messages on dialog creation and window query which should cover most apps. Newer (SVN) version has completely overhauled unicode window layer which should cover all unicode windows.

I still can't get Flash 10 installed.

I ran the xp.reg and tried the installer (Plugin) 10.0.42.34

Hi PierreLeGnome,

have a look on Post #100 in KernelEx App Compatibility Database,

I'd also problem with release 10.0.42.34 of the Flash Player.

Previous one (10.0.32.18) is just fine.

You can get it from FileHippo.

[EDIT: The link from FileHippo is not the good version. You will find it here: OldApps. ;) ]

You don't need to set a special compatibility, default KernelEx is OK.

BTW, be sure your reg file is working by checking manually in the registry the key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion'.

Edited by CharlesF

Hi Pierre Le Gnome,

I also have WIN 98 SE installed, but I have nothing in the registry under WindowsNT. There must be two WIN98 versions.

I needed to change the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Version (=> replace Windows 98 by Windows NT)

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\VersionNumber (==> replace 4.10.2222 by 5.20)

Don't forget to change back afterwards (note the initial entries), otherwise you will have problems when installing other software !!!

Roger

I needed to change the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Version (=> replace Windows 98 by Windows NT)

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\VersionNumber (==> replace 4.10.2222 by 5.20)

Don't forget to change back afterwards (note the initial entries), otherwise you will have problems when installing other software !!!

Thanks, having made the registry changes you specified, I now have Flash10 installed, which is great. This restores an ability to download my phone call logs which had stopped working several months ago :thumbup

Now to try for Firefox 3.5 !!

Edited by PierreLeGnome

Previous one (10.0.32.18) is just fine.

You can get it from FileHippo.

[EDIT: The link from FileHippo is not the good version. You will find it here: OldApps. ;) ]

You don't need to set a special compatibility, default KernelEx is OK.

BTW, be sure your reg file is working by checking manually in the registry the key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion'.

10.0.32.18 non-IE version

Sorry haven't read all here lately, hoping not too talk to much nonsense now... Just to throw in two little notes: SumatraPDF 101 works fine on my win98se, even without enabling kernelex for it... And someone told me his flash10 started working when he switched his monitor to 32bit colors. It certainly isn't that easy, but perhaps the last missing puzzle part for someone, no idea ;-)